Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pukka Pies for goalposts - a Football League/ National League thread

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

It may have been mentioned in this thread or the other football thread but the Belgian leagues and play-offs are mad.

Only one team goes up. At the end of the season, the top four teams have their points totalled halved as they all play each other twice and the eventual winner of that mini-league goes up.

But the even more bizarre thing is in the Belgian third tier, only two of the four teams have a professional licence meaning that the other two aren't even eligible for promotion almost making their games irrelevant. RFC Liege looked to have to won it with one game to go after beating Dender EH on Sunday. However, yesterday it was announced that Liege have been deducted three points over their 3-0 win against Dender last March and that game has now been awarded to Dender as a 5-0 win putting them back at the top with one game to go.

Kankurette

Sam Hutchinson gone. And BPF, which I'm gutted about but I guess Burnley need him back.

finnquark

Halifax were absolutely terrible there. Quite glad to see Little Pete Wild lose, every time I see him he comes across as insanely petulant.

Quote from: finnquark on May 24, 2022, 10:18:39 PMHalifax were absolutely terrible there. Quite glad to see Little Pete Wild lose, every time I see him he comes across as insanely petulant.

Yep, great to see him moaning away with his old man/young man features. They had one chance, their goal. Chesterfield managed to spring together their only halfway decent performance in two months. Bring on Solihull, said no one ever.

Inspector Norse

I imagine Pete Wild is just suffering PTSD after working under the Lemsagams at Oldham. He was a lifelong fan, had been at the club over a decade and worked for the local council before that, seemed a broken man when he left.

finnquark

Quote from: Inspector Norse on May 25, 2022, 09:07:33 AMI imagine Pete Wild is just suffering PTSD after working under the Lemsagams at Oldham. He was a lifelong fan, had been at the club over a decade and worked for the local council before that, seemed a broken man when he left.

He's done a great job at Fax and they're definitely the model Alty need to emulate now we're professional, e.g. stabilise in mid-table and try for the playoffs. I think the style of play is appalling to watch, but maybe that's just when I've seen them. Always feel Halifax are hindered by the Shay - the atmosphere there is non-existant because of the size, and the pitch is a state what with sharing it with rugby league.

Hat FM

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on May 22, 2022, 08:27:01 PMCongratulations @Hat FM Did you go? 46,000 - hell of an attendance. Tinpot dickheads Fylde v Salford only got 8,000 between them in 2019

Anyway, enjoy your night, deserved it.

i missed it unfortunately as my girlfriend had organised a trip for my birthday. gutted i wasnt there as it was incredible apparently. was really expecting Wrexham to win as they have been in great form whereas we have looked like shit although i imagine some players were trying to avoid injury so they didnt miss wembley. can't blame them. Bromley are doing an offer of £97 for a season ticket. think i'll snap that up! it's £20 a game otherwise.

Kankurette

Vincent Kompany is linked with Burnley. I wonder what the banner twats think of that.

holyzombiejesus

At the behest of vile fuckwitted local MP Jonathan Gullis, Boris Johnson said 'Up the Vale' at PMQs today. I'm going to have to support a different team, aren't I?

finnquark

Stanley Victor Collymore poaching our stand out winger for Southend. Put money on them going up next year.

Kankurette

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 25, 2022, 11:31:45 PMAt the behest of vile fuckwitted local MP Jonathan Gullis, Boris Johnson said 'Up the Vale' at PMQs today. I'm going to have to support a different team, aren't I?
I was going to say 'at least you have Robbie Williams', but that's probably not much of a consolation.

The Lurker

Forget to mention about the Belgian playoffs. I saw RFC Liège were streaming their final game so I decided to watch. Jesus Christ, the standard was brutal.

(They lost 2-1 also, so the whole points deduction incident was irrelevant anyway.)

monkfromhavana

Quote from: finnquark on May 23, 2022, 11:05:16 PMPoor Burchnall, trying to spreadsheet his way out of the Conference and consistently failing. Never seen a manager with so much nonsense jargon, let alone at this level. His obfuscation after losing 1-0 at Alty earlier this year was a classic.

Well, I guess we'll see how well Spreadsheets does in League One.

Morrison Lard

Wrexham v Grimsby is unbelievable.
Maddest match I've seen all season.

Fr.Bigley

They really showed their combined quality today... is what I would have said, if it were true.

Non league really is shite in quality terms isn't it.

monkfromhavana

Poobum

Darn. I suppose it's taken the tension out of it at least.

Kankurette

Congratulations, Port Vale! My old history teacher will be very happy.

Hope Forest win tomorrow.

holyzombiejesus

Oh my! What a day. Then got home to see Darrell had dedicated the win to his daughter. Up the Vale!

Poobum

Congrats. I am NOT full of hatred. Had all my luck with Leeds staying up, I shan't be greedy.

Just watched the Wrexham-Grimsby highlights, the complete inability to defend crosses was astonishing.

Kankurette

Fr.Bigley

Would be lovely to play forest next season, don't want/need a W Yorkshire Derby.

Poobum

Lovely stuff. Hope Forest do better than last time they came up. Solihull and Grimsby final, expecting 45+4, 90+2 equalizers and a 120+2 winner from the Mariners (if that's what they're called). I would have graciously accepted Chesterfield just for a couple of vicious derby games, but I'll get over it I imagine.

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 29, 2022, 03:18:18 PMWould be lovely to play forest next season, don't want/need a W Yorkshire Derby.
Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 29, 2022, 03:18:18 PMWould be lovely to play forest next season, don't want/need a W Yorkshire Derby.

True, we'll be spared Huddersfield's sad-arse supporters singing "Glory, glory Man United" at Elland Road again. Pitiful.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on April 15, 2022, 08:37:04 PMHaving previously managed Hull, Southend and now Barrow, he's really doing the tour of arse-end English coastal towns. Hartlepool awaits? He did play for them, after all.

Get him a bus ticket to Blackpool, pronto!

holyzombiejesus

I have very little time for Robbie Williams and kit launches can be a bit s4c, but if you do do one, it's quite impressive to do it like this...

https://twitter.com/OfficialPVFC/status/1533200661617188865?t=15tkJP8d5i0KQXgrSjsS2w&s=19

Yussef Dent

Thoroughly enjoyed the National League promotion play-off final, seriously bloody open game though, both sides seemed to be going to the extreme of making the most of a big pitch. Usually I would like the side who haven't made league football to win, but fair dos to Grimsby, it takes a lot to bounce back from relegation and the fact they had three lots of extra time in the playoffs shows they have guts. I have a weird soft spot for them, it's not a particularly great away day, and it almost certainly isn't to do with a former work colleague who remains the most deluded football supporter I have ever met. He also seemed to possess barely any knowledge of football outside of Grimsby, the bloke had a Sky Sports subscription and I couldn't work out how he never seemed to glean any idea of anything non-Grimsby related.

Three examples. The first, he sparks up conversation about seeing the Charlton vs Sunderland 1997/98 playoff final being shown on Sky Sports. This is 2008 and it seems to be repeated almost bloody every week as filler since back in the day. He talks me through the whole game, I've told him I had seen it live on TV, where I saw it, and even filling in the gaps ("yeah Perez came out and failed to claim and they scored, yeah, seen it..."). He tells me of the penalty that Micky Gray took "you'll never believe how weak it was." Doesn't mention Gray's name or any other player of either side other than ex Grimsby player Clive Mendonca. "Now, Mendonca who scored a hat-trick for Charlton, you may not know this but..." I know what's coming, "yeah he played for Grimsby, remember watching him in some non-descript 0-0 at the Baseball Ground in 1993 or summat." He goes... "Mendonca was a Mariner! At his pomp! And at his pomp, he was the best player ever to play outside the Premier (always pronounced "pri-meer") League."

He said Grimsby failed to make the second tier playoffs in the early 90s due to "refereeing decisions" (never specified) and that if they had made them and won they would still be in the Premier League now. When asked by a colleague if their ground would be good enough, he said "the Findus Stand could grace any top flight stadium in England."

Also, "Ivano Bonetti would be worth £30 million in today's money."

TBF when the BBC did their Cult Heroes series back in 2004, your man Mendonca was one of (I think) only two players to be voted top by two clubs.

Grimsby: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/3581200.stm

Charlton: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/football_focus/4081997.stm

Brian Freeze

Anyone fancy Mike Ashley's Derby County?

It seems the current bidder has fucked up again. He tried to buy (or pretended to try to buy) North End, thank fook he didn't.

king_tubby