Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

You know how some people are the 'comedian's comedian'? He's the comedian for people who don't really usually like comedy.
He's the Call of Duty of stand up.
The FIFA of sitcom.
He is to comedy what 'The Darkness' is to rock music.

Ferris

The Darkness are a bit of a laugh and don't take themselves too seriously.

He's the Toploader of comedy.

Cold Meat Platter

The Darkness are awful cynical bullshit just like Gervais.

It's rock music for people who would only otherwise have Partridge-style compilation albums

Cold Meat Platter

Sort of like saying "Yeah I LOVE spicy food, obviously. Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodle, classic!"

checkoutgirl

Sold his soul
For a shard of Fame
Ba ba
Ba ba

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 24, 2022, 09:07:21 PMYOU!?? dont believe in GOD?!?! not even a bit??? your balls. they must be GIGANTIC!!!

Buster Godless Gonad.

Brundle-Fly

I don't understand why Gervais, a David Bowie disciple, is being such a wretched route one rotter over this issue. Utterly baffling.

Mobius

I've got to watch this with a mate on Friday. Dreading it.

My sister just text me to ask why the crowd all cheer like maniacs when Ricky says he's a millionaire.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 24, 2022, 11:51:40 PMChortle not impressed either, 2.5/5 but reads worse, echoing many criticisms found here:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/review/2022/05/24/50845/ricky_gervais%3A_supernature

I don't think I've ever seen a comment on a Chortle article before, except for the "I make money working at home!" spam, but there's 2 people defending Ricky there. Probably the first time they've ever visited Chortle...

Ron Superior

It was nice to see David O'Doherty sharing that Acaster clip today because he has in the past had a good few interactions with Gervais on twitter.

Cos, despite the lack of comedians actually sharing any praise for Gervais' new special, it's nice to actually see some who are in his orbit actually calling out the lazy shit.

Are there any other examples of people doing that?

Barry Admin

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 25, 2022, 03:15:39 AMI don't understand why Gervais, a David Bowie disciple, is being such a wretched route one rotter over this issue. Utterly baffling.

Because it's safe to do so now.

The point I was trying to make in this post is that Gervais has been really cynical and waited until trabsphobia has become more culturally acceptable.

Also, transphobic jokes are all hacky shit, and Gervais is a lazy shitter.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mobius on May 25, 2022, 03:18:01 AMI've got to watch this with a mate on Friday. Dreading it.

My sister just text me to ask why the crowd all cheer like maniacs when Ricky says he's a millionaire.

I don't think I've ever seen a comment on a Chortle article before, except for the "I make money working at home!" spam, but there's 2 people defending Ricky there. Probably the first time they've ever visited Chortle...

Lol, the Gervais fans who can't take him being mocked is a particularly good and accurate part of that James Acaster bit. What's the matter guys, too challenging for ya.

Quote from: Ron Superior on May 25, 2022, 07:50:28 AMIt was nice to see David O'Doherty sharing that Acaster clip today because he has in the past had a good few interactions with Gervais on twitter.

Cos, despite the lack of comedians actually sharing any praise for Gervais' new special, it's nice to actually see some who are in his orbit actually calling out the lazy shit.

Robin Ince also shared the same video.

colacentral

Quote from: Cuellar on May 24, 2022, 08:57:08 PMJust saw 30 seconds of a clip Gary Lineker retweeted (deso) and he was going on about how "people quiz him on twitter when they find out (!) he's an atheist"

Do they, Ricky? Do they still quiz you about the outrageous philosophy of atheism?

I genuinely thought he would have stopped going on about being an atheist. Staggering.

"Still, a lot more people would have survived the flood if they were woke back in Noah's day, wouldn't they? 'I identify as a giraffe.'" [Ricky kicks the air]. "Fuck off you long necked fucker, I'm getting on first."

There you go, Rick. You can have that for a small fee.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Ron Superior on May 25, 2022, 07:50:28 AMIt was nice to see David O'Doherty sharing that Acaster clip today because he has in the past had a good few interactions with Gervais on twitter.

Maybe not his orbit but Richard Herring & Lou Sanders also shared the Acaster bit.

Dr Rock

If Gervais hates woke comedy so much why is he still nicking loads of TV's 'Mr Woke' Stewart Lee for his act?

Also if you stripped the strawmen from Ricky's act he'd have about five minutes.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on May 25, 2022, 03:15:39 AMI don't understand why Gervais, a David Bowie disciple, is being such a wretched route one rotter over this issue. Utterly baffling.

Good point. Gervais looked like a woman in 1982. Maybe he changed his tune when that police man said "You look like a couple of prats", because he said the copper was right.

Pdine

Gervais-bashing is of course one of the things that this forum does fantastically well, with the Derek and Afterlife threads being many orders of magnitude funnier, better-written and more insightful than their subjects. I have to say though that his standup just doesn't really bear the same analysis. It's simple stuff, unpretentious by the standards of his sitcoms, and competent in the sense that if you share his views you'll likely laugh out of recognition. Conversely, as it's not that skilled or complex, if you don't agree with him it just feels wearisome. This also rebounds on criticism of his standup, which ends up just being a litmus test of how the viewer feels about the issues, not the comedy.   

No small coincidence that someone whose opinions align with the viewpoint implicit in his jokes about trans issues would say something wooly like that

Pdine

Quote from: Kermit the Frog on May 25, 2022, 09:36:49 AMNo small coincidence that someone whose opinions align with the viewpoint implicit in his jokes about trans issues would say something wooly like that

Sorry, do you mean me? Silly question; you clearly do. Not sure where you have got that idea though...

Dr Rock

Recycled Joke #1

Reincarnation: 'I saw a show where people came as who they were in a past live. Two Napoleons'

He's done that before. XFM? Also I doubt he saw any such show.

Kankurette

I wonder if Mumsnet would be so quick to cheer Gervais on if he made jokes about rape, or domestic violence. Actually, who am I kidding, some of them would.

(Why does Fox have a cross in his header? Has he converted to Catholicism or something?)

frajer

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 25, 2022, 10:15:49 AMRecycled Joke #1

Reincarnation: 'I saw a show where people came as who they were in a past live. Two Napoleons'

I remember as far back as his second show (Politics?) that Smerch was ribbing Gervais over his stand-up by saying you'll have heard all the jokes before already on their show, better performed.

bgmnts

Obviously he's my favourite comedian so i'm biased, but comparing Stewart Lee to Ricky Gervais is surely like comparing Albert Einstein to a dog wearing a novelty Einstein wig?

checkoutgirl

Weak observations, poorly performed.

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 25, 2022, 10:15:49 AMRecycled Joke #1

Recycled joke #2

He's done the 'become more working class when talking to a builder' bit numerous times before

madhair60

not liking the slagging off of The Darkness. their first album is a banger.

chip

Standard Gervais fare innit really. AIDS, Hitler, being a multimillionaire. Unnecessarily explaining EVERY fucking punchline. Jesus wept.

For someone who apparently brings all these non-comedy fans into the fold, I just wish he was funnier with it. It's like Standup for Dummies.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: madhair60 on May 25, 2022, 10:51:58 AMnot liking the slagging off of The Darkness. their first album is a banger.
Fairly indifferent to The Darkness but thought the comparisons were especially apt cos Gervais called them "the best band in Britain" when they were at their peak.