Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hip Hop you've been listening to

Started by Joe Qunt, May 05, 2022, 03:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Question is this a thread for posting any hip hop? or is it just about this new breed of distorted stuff (not knocking it I just sometimes feel it has escaped the genre a little).  I don't really keep with the modern stuff really as it kinda died a death a while ago but I've still got my classics that I listen too (basically a disclaimer that I am old and therefore anything I post will be dated).

Joe Qunt

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 23, 2022, 02:55:52 PMQuestion is this a thread for posting any hip hop? or is it just about this new breed of distorted stuff (not knocking it I just sometimes feel it has escaped the genre a little).  I don't really keep with the modern stuff really as it kinda died a death a while ago but I've still got my classics that I listen too (basically a disclaimer that I am old and therefore anything I post will be dated).

This thread is for hip hop you've been listening to :)

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: WhoMe on May 20, 2022, 11:27:12 PMIll Sugi did a guest mix on Tim Parker's NTS show and I had to track him down. This instrumental mixtape is gold dust. Bit of an Al Dobson Jr/Ras G feel, just really organic, expressive production creating his own little world.

Nice beats

dontpaintyourteeth

I suppose the stuff I've been listening to is all the obvious stuff from this year- Billy Woods, Kendrick, Pusha T, Black Star. Thought the Cities Aviv album sounded pretty good when it came out as well but I haven't revisited it much for some reason.

TrenterPercenter

I'll just keep posting my semi-grandad tunes

TrenterPercenter

Swoz_MK

Quote from: iamcoop on May 22, 2022, 03:35:43 PMI also managed to score a cheap copy of The Future Is Now by Non Phixion which I used to love back in the day. Some lazy and dated lyricism aside (Sluts this and Sluts that *sigh*) I'm pleased to report it holds up pretty well, and the beats all fucking bang.

If Necro never decided he could rap I reckon he'd be much higher profile than he is now, truly excellent beatmaker.

The best use of one of his beats (and EL-P just casually gives us the greatest 16 ever put to tape)

Joe Qunt

Digging in the classics today: Ghostface, Supreme Clientele.

Sebastian Cobb

I slowly got into what Spotify Wrapped informed me are called 'Trap Queens' I'm definitely not the target audience and I imagine a lot of hip-hop purists might not like them but I do. Some of it is quite stylistically quite similar to early rap by the likes of Schooly D and ICE-T, aggressive rhyming over little more than basic drum tracks, but instead of the day in the life of a gangster it's more about opulent expenditure and finding a man who is good at eating you out.

Utter Shit

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 24, 2022, 01:42:48 PM

Love this - it's weird, I recognise at least two elements of the beat from other tracks (the repeated chords throughout, and the strings around 0m40s), and I'm pretty sure I sampled the high-pitched keys around 1m30s in a track of my own (cheap plug, sorry: https://soundcloud.com/sobmusic-1/break-of-dawn).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Swoz_MK on May 25, 2022, 12:40:35 PMThe best use of one of his beats (and EL-P just casually gives us the greatest 16 ever put to tape)

class

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 25, 2022, 04:20:55 PMLove this - it's weird, I recognise at least two elements of the beat from other tracks (the repeated chords throughout, and the strings around 0m40s), and I'm pretty sure I sampled the high-pitched keys around 1m30s in a track of my own (cheap plug, sorry: https://soundcloud.com/sobmusic-1/break-of-dawn).

That's quality @Utter Shit just listened to it all, sweet vibes!

Some more here..

iamcoop

Quote from: Swoz_MK on May 25, 2022, 12:40:35 PMIf Necro never decided he could rap I reckon he'd be much higher profile than he is now, truly excellent beatmaker.

The best use of one of his beats (and EL-P just casually gives us the greatest 16 ever put to tape)

Yeah Necro has made some god-tier beats. He's a good rapper technically speaking but his lyrics are just boring rubbish.

With regards to that banger, I wish Despot got his shit together and actually made an album. He kills it on every feature.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: iamcoop on May 25, 2022, 06:25:35 PMYeah Necro has made some god-tier beats. He's a good rapper technically speaking but his lyrics are just boring rubbish.

File Aesop Rock and El-P into that category too.

TrenterPercenter

Utter Shit

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 25, 2022, 06:06:18 PMThat's quality @Utter Shit just listened to it all, sweet vibes!

Some more here..
Ah cheers, I really loved producing for a while but my stupid kids got in the way.

Never heard this track before, it's great. God I love boom bap so much.

Levi

Retro, but I've been hammering this recently.

Joe Qunt

Too much retro recently. Let's go with some new heat.

Drakeo The Ruler - So Cold I Do 'Em 2

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Joe Qunt on May 26, 2022, 05:51:51 PMToo much retro recently. Let's go with some new heat.

Yeah I'm wondering whether there needs to be a retro hip hop thread so it doesn't get in the way of the new stuff.

dex

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 25, 2022, 09:36:47 PMAh cheers, I really loved producing for a while but my stupid kids got in the way.

Never heard this track before, it's great. God I love boom bap so much.

Binary Star are quality. Self Destruction is a belter.

Joe Qunt

Some instrumental stuff now, particularly Madlib's tribute to his good friend Jay Dee, Beat Konducta, Vol. 5-6: Dil Cosby & Dil Withers Suite.

It's amazing to hear Madlib produce in the style of Dilla whilst keeping the samples true to his DNA. Really recommend it if you're a fan of either artist.

Joe Qunt

Excellent news! My SP404 MKII has finally been despatched! Praise be!

In celebration, I've been listening to the excellent Skyzoo and his fantastic album All The Brilliant Things.