Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stigdu

I'm quite new to this website, so I was expecting loads of people saying how funny the stand up show was, with perhaps one or two people calling it rubbish. I was very surprised to see it's the other way around! I don't think I've ever seen a discussion that's just 99% of people saying how much they didn't enjoy it, or how much they dislike Ricky Gervais.

Is there another discussion thread on here for people who actually did find it funny? Because I did.

Thanks.

The Guppy

Just do what Ricky would do, and block everyone with an opinion you don't like.

JamesTC

I found it so funny that my willy turned hard and I just felt compelled to send Netflix more money for the immense value.

Unfortunately it turned out I wasn't sending money to Netflix but I was actually buying anthrax and now I am dying.

Bravo Richard.

phes

Quote from: Stigdu on May 26, 2022, 11:18:02 AMI'm quite new to this website, so I was expecting loads of people saying how funny the stand up show was, with perhaps one or two people calling it rubbish. I was very surprised to see it's the other way around! I don't think I've ever seen a discussion that's just 99% of people saying how much they didn't enjoy it, or how much they dislike Ricky Gervais.

Is there another discussion thread on here for people who actually did find it funny? Because I did.

Thanks.

I think you've come somewhere with a lot of people who would very much love to enjoy his new material but are somewhat unified in grief at his depressing successive new lows

Supernature is a feature length 'ooh i've never come over a little queer' just nastier

idunnosomename

Ricky did The Dance at Live 8 but this is the worst one where he is genuinely shitting himself about filling up 5 minutes

Des Wigwam

I was going to say the Diana Concert but thought "nah, that'd be mad".

A true master of his craft (I started to get cringing stomach cramps watching that so left at 06:58).

OK next - what's a bot ....

The Mollusk

Quote from: bgmnts on May 26, 2022, 08:20:27 AMYeah that Brian lad makes all the arguments I feel a typical vegan would make, it is confusing to be vegan but also not care about humans. Vegans should by definition care more about sentient life, not less.

I'm a vegan and I live in London therefore every day on at least 10 occasions I have the burning thought direct in the front of my brain that humans are vermin.

Quote from: Stigdu on May 26, 2022, 11:18:02 AMI'm quite new to this website, so I was expecting loads of people saying how funny the stand up show was, with perhaps one or two people calling it rubbish. I was very surprised to see it's the other way around! I don't think I've ever seen a discussion that's just 99% of people saying how much they didn't enjoy it, or how much they dislike Ricky Gervais.

Thanks.

Would be genuinely interested to hear what you found funny about this special?

JamesTC

Rocky Gervais, I call him. Because he knocks out all the competition. And he likes chocolate biscuits.

Stigdu

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on May 26, 2022, 11:47:24 AMWould be genuinely interested to hear what you found funny about this special?

The jokes, of course! Watched it with my wife, and she was laughing too.  :)

bgmnts

Quote from: JamesTC on May 26, 2022, 11:52:59 AMRocky Gervais, I call him. Because he knocks out all the competition. And he likes chocolate biscuits.

Also he's limited and never knows when to stop.

Quote from: JamesTC on May 26, 2022, 11:52:59 AMRocky Gervais, I call him. Because he knocks out all the competition. And he likes chocolate biscuits.

Shitty Cuntface, I call him.
You have to pronounce the face like it would be ger-faise.
Give it a go, you might like it.

Pink Gregory

I used to work with a guy who thought Gervais had a silent S.

phes

I used to work with some people who were fans and referred to him as The Big Guy

We very quickly agreed to just never talk about The Big Guy as it put a confusing strain on our otherwise harmonious relationships

Dr Rock

Quote from: Stigdu on May 26, 2022, 12:08:52 PMThe jokes, of course! Watched it with my wife, and she was laughing too.  :)

What other comedians or comedy shows do you like, out of interest?

BritishHobo

Any Ricky Gervais fansite circa 2009 would probably be the best place to look - you'll see me there, raving about him. I've never known anybody so thoroughly alienate all the people who are actually dedicated to his work.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Stigdu on May 26, 2022, 11:18:02 AMIs there another discussion thread on here for people who actually did find it funny? Because I did.

I'm not sure we could keep up with this sort of in-depth analysis.

Quote from: Stigdu on May 26, 2022, 12:08:52 PMThe jokes, of course! Watched it with my wife, and she was laughing too.  :)

bgmnts

Yeah I'll put my hand up and say I loved office and extras and I liked the first standups because I wasnt aware of XFM radio stuff at that time.

Stigdu

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 26, 2022, 12:34:13 PMWhat other comedians or comedy shows do you like, out of interest?

At the risk of setting myself up for a fall.... (as I feel, especially given that sarcastic comment by Famous Mortimer, that I am being judged and will be shot down whatever answer I give)

Jimmy Carr, Stewart Francis, Anthony Jeselnik for stand up.
Extras, Bottom, The Inbetweeners for comedy shows.

TommyTurnips

It's difficult when you do encounter a modern Ricky Gervais fan in the wild. I went to see a band last month and then stopped for a beer on the way home and got talking to an Irish guy who was visiting the city. We started talking about comedy and then he said "You know who I really rate at the moment, Ricky Gervais". I didn't know what to say, I didn't know whether to be polite or be real about his current output. It kind of ended the conversation.

Mr. Ssmsslth

For what it's worth, I chuckled several times, but the over-explaining of irony and laughing at his own jokes really grated. I was actually a bit appalled at the
Spoiler alert
clitoris
[close]
bit, so I guess I gave him exactly what he wanted.

BritishHobo

I will say at this point I always feel a bit iffy seeing someone get roasted just for saying they like someone who's generally hated on here. It's one thing if they come in with the tired 'oh, a bunch of bitter jealous failed comedy writers is it?!', but different if, like here, it's just someone expressing mild surprise to find a comedian they love is actually really hated here.

I remember coming here for the first time and feeling a bit mind-blown that there could possibly be anyone who didn't like Extras. AND LOOK AT ME NOW.

phes

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 26, 2022, 01:22:27 PMI will say at this point I always feel a bit iffy seeing someone get roasted just for saying they like someone who's generally hated on here.

That's not happening at all though.

Fair enough. I, like many others on here, would have once considered myself a big RG fan. With his stand up, do you not get bored of him retreading the same old topics with the same old tired justifications?

Stigdu

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on May 26, 2022, 01:28:34 PMFair enough. I, like many others on here, would have once considered myself a big RG fan. With his stand up, do you not get bored of him retreading the same old topics with the same old tired justifications?

Nah, I'm easily pleased. In all seriousness, I wouldn't say I'm a die hard devotee, so I don't see much recycling of old jokes with him. Anyway, I'll leave it there and let you all carry on! Cheers.

BritishHobo

Quote from: phes on May 26, 2022, 01:26:06 PMThat's not happening at all though.

Okay. That's fine then.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 25, 2022, 11:07:33 PMI mean the way I worded that wasn't great but he meant things like chicken legs, roasts, chops and that kind of thing. He was ok with curries and bolognese and things where its origin was less identifiable. Which seems odd to me, like it's ok if he can kid himself that he doesn't know what it is.

Nah, I've got a couple of friends like that. Meat must be disguised or they won't eat it.

BritishHobo

Gervais has said the below...

QuoteMy target wasn't trans folk, but trans activist ideology. I've always confronted dogma that oppresses people and limits freedom of expression.

He said this to The Spectator, which is so ironic it's almost like Ricky Gervais routine!!!!!

phes

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 26, 2022, 01:44:22 PMGervais has said the below...

He said this to The Spectator, which is so ironic it's almost like Ricky Gervais routine!!!!!

Yeah this obviously doesn't stand up to scrutiny but that doesn't matter to Mr Science who has spent years working to suppress analysis of his work