Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:37:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 25, 2010, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on February 15, 2022, 07:46:26 AMhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pies,_tarts_and_flans

Just the title, the content is exactly what you'd expect, but the general conceit of a list of pies, tarts and flans makes me laugh.
Wikipedia has lists of everything, including a list of lists of lists. (Whose entries range from Lists of Canadian game shows to Lists of habeas petitions filed on behalf of War on Terror detainees.)

dissolute ocelot

Razorlight need to sort their entry:
QuoteThe band was formed in 2002 by Johnny Borrell, after having performed across London with the likes of The Libertines as a solo acoustic singer-songwriter. It is often reported that Borrell was a member of the Libertines,[3] but Carl Barat has since revealed that he was just taught the bass lines for four songs to play for a showcase for Rough Trade Records and failed to turn up for it and never played with the band live.[4]

Inspector Norse

Reading about Reykjavik and the 'Main Sights' section is accompanied by a picture of this dude

edited to make link hopefully work better

JesusAndYourBush

He's so cool he's not even bothered about the appearance of Bee United's levitating goalkeeper.

Rev+

On the launch of Channel 5:

Quotean attempt was made to establish a collection of Channel 5 faces; through the spring of 1997, billboards of Jack Docherty were displayed, along with other unknown characters.

Burn.

Bronzy

Euphoria actress Alexa Demie has let herself go (EXTREMELY NSFW)

Spoiler alert

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Bronzy on April 07, 2022, 12:30:08 PMEuphoria actress Alexa Demie has let herself go (EXTREMELY NSFW)

Spoiler alert

Could you give us a clue what we're looking for here?

Bronzy

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on April 07, 2022, 01:23:37 PMCould you give us a clue what we're looking for here?

When I looked at it earlier today it had a picture of a guy showing off his arsehole.

I know that sounds like a H.S Art post, but I swear it's true.

EDIT: Here it is!

Spoiler alert

AsparagusTrevor

dissolute ocelot

^Someone then further vandalised the page, adding:
QuoteShe also eats goats. She states in jimmy fallon's show "I eat goats more then I should," She says. "I mostly eat goats for breakfast, however they're better in the night time."

Inspector Norse

The brutal conclusion to this passage on the death of '80s comic Dustin Gee:

QuoteFrom 20 December 1985, Gee and Dennis appeared in pantomime at the Southport Theatre, Merseyside. On 1 January 1986, Gee suffered a massive heart attack, while playing one of the ugly sisters in Cinderella, a role they had played two years before in Bradford. At the end of a scene, Gee clutched his left arm and when they reached their dressing room he said to Dennis "I think I am dying", collapsed and lost consciousness,[3] Basil Soper, the show's company manager, was successful in reviving him.[2] Gee was accompanied to Southport General Hospital, but on arrival, collapsed and fell unconscious.

The following day Dennis and Roger Edwards (Gee's PA) were by his bedside, Gee was unconscious and they both urged him to keep fighting and he raised a finger. Gee woke up at 8 a.m. the following day, asked for a cup of tea and some ice cream. According to his family members who were with him, he was "quite chatty", thanked them for coming, said they must see him in pantomime and asked where his watch was. He was sitting up for a while and it appeared as if he was going to recover.[2] However, later that morning Gee lost consciousness and died at 12.45 p.m.[2]

Jim Bowen replaced Gee in the pantomime.

Ferris

JamesTC

famethrowa

From Tommy James and the Shondells, he got better!

QuoteHog Heaven

At a concert in Birmingham, Alabama in March of that year, an exhausted James collapsed after coming off stage from a reaction to drugs and was pronounced dead. He recovered and decided to move to the country to rest and recuperate, and left the band.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: JamesTC on April 24, 2022, 11:43:34 PMJizz

Enjoyed this in the talk section:

Close
Sperm and Cum
I'm removing the reference to sperm and cum. The fact that there is a disambiguation page for this term negates any need for such a reference. Besides, it was worded unprofessionally and sounded crude.67.141.92.47 (talk) 21:51, 1 February 2009 (UTC)

Blue Jam

petril

Quote from: Inspector Norse on April 24, 2022, 05:37:56 PMThe brutal conclusion to this passage on the death of '80s comic Dustin Gee:

wait, THE Basil Soper?

The Lurker

Rik Waller gems

QuoteWhen he was dropped by EMI, Waller formed his own band to take his music out on the road. He then signed an album deal with Red Admiral Records.[4] Two months into Waller's Beyond Reality Tour 2004, three concerts were cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Among them was a show at the Princess Theatre in Torquay, Devon, for which only two tickets were sold.[5]

QuoteWaller has appeared as himself on several TV shows. In 2002, he appeared on Celebrity Fit Club but he was kicked off the show when he was caught binge eating.[6]

On 28 February 2007, Waller appeared on Never Mind the Buzzcocks in the Identity Parade Round and briefly replaced captain Phill Jupitus when it became clear who was the real Rik Waller. He has not appeared on TV since.[7]

QuoteIn 2014, he was working as an exam invigilator in Sittingbourne, Kent. Waller also said that, alongside his dad, he was for once running a mobile karaoke and disco business.[10]

"For once running" Desolation

NoSleep

The wiki page for "Humour" exemplifies the element of surprise in humour thus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour#Formula

To make it clear, I find it amusing that this was the best example of surprise in humour that could be found.

willbo

Judas priest guitarist kk Downing

"Sarah Lissimore, his former girlfriend, mounted a legal challenge for half of his Shropshire estate. This was based on his assertion, "I'd bet you'd love to be lady of this Manor, wouldn't you?" The High Court of Justice rejected the notion that this assertion could give rise to proprietary estoppel in favour of Lissimore."

kalowski

Quote from: NoSleep on June 06, 2022, 01:38:19 PM

Wife left her husband after noticing one thing in this photo. You'll gasp when you see it.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: willbo on June 06, 2022, 01:42:24 PMJudas priest guitarist kk Downing

"Sarah Lissimore, his former girlfriend, mounted a legal challenge for half of his Shropshire estate. This was based on his assertion, "I'd bet you'd love to be lady of this Manor, wouldn't you?" The High Court of Justice rejected the notion that this assertion could give rise to proprietary estoppel in favour of Lissimore."

Fair play to her, worth a punt

kalowski

Quote from: willbo on June 06, 2022, 01:42:24 PMJudas priest guitarist kk Downing

Blimey. If someone made a claim every time I said that...

The Lurker

It's hilarious how often and needlessly Jonathan Wilkes' page mentions that he's friends with Robbie Williams

QuoteJonathan Wilkes (born 1 August 1978)[1] is an English entertainer who is principally famous due to being a close friend of Robbie Williams.[2]

QuoteJonathan Wilkes was born in Baddeley Green, Stoke-on-Trent, to Eileen Wilkes and Graham Wilkes, and spent most of his childhood in Packmoor, an outlying village of Chell, with his friend Robbie Williams. He has one older sister called Kay. He signed for Port Vale FC, aged seven, and played for Everton FC as a teenager. He was dropped from the team due to his unwillingness to 'eat, sleep and breathe football'.[3]

His first stage role was in a Stoke Amateur Operatic Society production of Hans Christian Andersen, playing opposite his friend Robbie Williams.[4]

QuoteAfter signing a record deal with Virgin, Wilkes had a brief spell as a pop-music singer like his friend Robbie Williams, his single "Just Another Day" went to No. 24 in the UK Singles Chart.[6] The single hit the Top 5 in 18 countries worldwide.[7] During his brief singing career, he performed with his friend Robbie Williams at the Royal Albert Hall and sang Me and My Shadow together which received positive reviews.

QuoteWilkes participates and assists in the organisation of Soccer Aid, an event he has been involved in since 2006 with his friend Robbie Williams.

QuoteWhile working for the BBC, he lived in London with his friend Robbie Williams in Williams' mansion.[11] Also while at the BBC, he met his wife Nikki. The couple live in Royal Wootton Bassett.[12]

In September 2013, Wilkes opened his own full-time performing arts college called Wilkes Academy.[13] The patrons of the academy include Ant and Dec, Arlene Phillips and his friend Robbie Williams.[14] The college is based in Swindon.

Inspector Norse

Looked up Montbéliard which I only knew as the home of yo-yoing French football team Sochaux.

The list of local notables is pretty mundane. Right up to the last line...

QuoteMontbéliard is the birthplace of:

Nicolaus Taurellus (1547–1606), philosopher and theologian
Nicolas Tournier (1590-ca. 1638), painter
Wolf Christoph Zorn von Plobsheim (1655–1721), architect (de:Wolf Christoph Zorn von Plobsheim)
Georges Frédéric Parrot (1767–1852) First rector of the University of Dorpat, now University of Tartu.
Georges Cuvier (1769–1832), naturalist and zoologist
Alexander of Württemberg (1771–1833)
Frédéric Cuvier (1773–1838), zoologist and physicist
Henri Mouhot (1826–1861), naturalist
René Besserve (1883–1959), painter
François Tuefferd (1912–1996), photographer and curator
René Thom (1923–2002), mathematician
Dominique Voynet (1958–present), Green politician
Frank Darabont (1959–present), American filmmaker
Adrien Mörk (1979–present), golfer
Pierre-Alain Frau (1980–present), footballer
Éric Deloumeaux (1973–present), footballer
Camel Meriem (1979–present), footballer
Marc Mauillon (1980–present), tenor and baritone
Ousame Sy (1988–present), footballer
Florin Berenguer-Bohrer (1989–present), footballer
Big Nose George (1834-1881), made into a pair of shoes.

kalowski

Wow.
QuoteDoctors Thomas Maghee and John Eugene Osborne took possession of Parrott's body after his death, to study the outlaw's brain for clues to his criminality. The top of Parrott's skull was crudely sawn off, and the cap was presented to 16-year-old Lillian Heath, then a medical assistant to Maghee. Heath became the first female doctor in Wyoming and is said to have used the cap as an ash tray, a pen holder and a doorstop. A death mask was also created of Parrott's face, and skin from his thighs and chest was removed. The skin, including the dead man's nipples, was sent to a tannery in Denver, where it was made into a pair of shoes and a medical bag. They were kept by Osborne, who wore the shoes to his inaugural ball after being elected as the first Democratic Governor of the State of Wyoming. Parrott's dismembered body was stored in a whiskey barrel filled with a salt solution for about a year, while the experiments continued, until he was buried in the yard behind Maghee's office.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Album_eraAlbum era
The album era was a period in English-language popular music from the mid-1960s to the mid-2000s in which the album was the dominant form of recorded music expression and consumption.

Feels more like a line they'd give Data than a period to have lived through.

dissolute ocelot

^ I think it forgets to add "if you were a white male with two left feet" but even that ignores a bunch of bedroom based music.

Bad Ambassador

At the very end of a lengthy description of the format of Bullseye:

"It was never made clear if the two winning contestants had to share the Star Prize or if they got one each."