Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:34:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial

Started by Barry Admin, April 13, 2022, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: druss on May 26, 2022, 01:54:54 PMCame to post that they showed a video yesterday that had two apparently different photographs of Heard, one showing a bruise and one not, and in the video they super-imposed the photos onto each other and they were exactly the same photo but one had been edited and one hadn't. If the recordings weren't enough for anyone, that's literally cast iron proof that she faked at least one photo of abuse, making it difficult to believe any of them.

It's equally possible the photo without the bruise is the one that's been photoshopped.

the science eel

Did you see her lifting her head and smirking the other day?

Fuck she looked soooooo fit

sorry

bgmnts

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 26, 2022, 02:37:54 PMIt's equally possible the photo without the bruise is the one that's been photoshopped.

By her?

Butchers Blind

This trial is as interminable as one of Depp's dressed as pirate movies.

druss

Quote from: MojoJojo on May 26, 2022, 02:37:54 PMIt's equally possible the photo without the bruise is the one that's been photoshopped.
Well, as someone else pointed out, that would be a strange thing for her to do.

None of the photos of her "evidence" had the metadata of the original photo either, they all had metadata consistent with being from a photo editing app.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: druss on May 26, 2022, 01:54:54 PM"imperfect victim" is far more applicable to Depp.

We are all imperfect.  The problem comes when people idealise groups based on their physical characteristics as being perfect and try and build policy or activism around it.  Aside from it never working and creating compassion/empathy-drains for groups and individuals it often harms the idealised groups they set out to protect.  This is often much more to do with rhetoric than helping people.

Bernice

Quote from: druss on May 26, 2022, 01:54:54 PMCame to post that they showed a video yesterday that had two apparently different photographs of Heard, one showing a bruise and one not, and in the video they super-imposed the photos onto each other and they were exactly the same photo but one had been edited and one hadn't. If the recordings weren't enough for anyone, that's literally cast iron proof that she faked at least one photo of abuse, making it difficult to believe any of them.

Both show some sort of mark - the claim is that the saturation was turned up on one to make the bruise show more clearly. She denied this and implied they were different photos taken in different lighting, which really doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm surprised that this place is falling in behind the general Reddit-y tone of Depp defence on this.

Bear in mind, this scurrilous and underhand wench is the defendant in this case, being sued for an article she wrote detailing her experience of domestic violence at the hands of an unnamed (although, not exactly anonymised) person. There are texts sent by both parties referring to this violence from during the relationship. There are pictures of Heard's injuries. There are pictures of misogynistic messages scrawled by Depp with the bloodied stump of his finger. The fingertip was severed during a fight with Heard, either after Depp smashed a phone into a wall or after Heard threw a bottle of vodka at him, the latter being disputed by an expert witness for the defense.

There are texts sent by Depp before the marriage in which he calls Heard an 'ugly hooker', jokes about how he'll 'smack the ugly cunt around' and jokes about drowning and burning her and then fucking her burnt corpse 'to make sure she's dead.'

I mean, the whole thing is gruesome and neither comes off as someone I'd wish to marry. I'm just baffled as to how Depp - the plaintiff in this trial and a man who couldn't win a libel case in fucking England over being referred to as a 'wife beater' - is painted broadly as this sad drug addicted schmuck being taken for a ride by a conniving bitch.

Dickie_Anders

I think Depp is a cunt and I hate all the idiots online who support him only because he's handsome and he was funny in a kid's movie once. If you've watched this trial and come to the conclusion that he is a poor unfortunate soul then you are insane. The man is a wildly jealous, witless addict who must have been hell to live with.

But the overwhelming sense I've got from Heard's lawyers is that their strategy is to just repeat ad nauseum through every witness that Depp had drug issues, with very little actual proof that he was abusive. Vile text messages are one thing, but the other side has actual recordings of Heard admitting to hitting him.

Also I still can't get over Heard saying she uses "pledge" and "donate" synonymously. Just insanity

bgmnts

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on May 26, 2022, 05:56:24 PMI think Depp is a cunt and I hate all the idiots online who support him only because he's handsome and he was funny in a kid's movie once. If you've watched this trial and come to the conclusion that he is a poor unfortunate soul then you are insane. The man is a wildly jealous, witless addict who must have been hell to live with.

It's a good thing he was abused then.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Bernice on May 26, 2022, 03:21:32 PMI'm surprised that this place is falling in behind the general Reddit-y tone of Depp defence on this.

I'm just baffled as to how Depp - the plaintiff in this trial and a man who couldn't win a libel case in fucking England over being referred to as a 'wife beater' - is painted broadly as this sad drug addicted schmuck being taken for a ride by a conniving bitch.

I made my own opinion of her conniving, bitchy ways based on her testimony and all the lies that have been proven false in court.

shoulders

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on May 26, 2022, 06:22:24 PMI made my own opinion of her conniving, bitchy ways based on her testimony and all the lies that have been proven false in court.

Also, who says there needs to be a minimum of 1 good person in a failed relationship?

Noodle Lizard

I find it hard to agree with that substack article. I absolutely understand skepticism surrounding Depp, and certainly the overzealous internet support is often wrongheaded and a bit scary. But the whole "why would she make this up, look what it's done to her career" argument doesn't really hold up either. Career-wise, she was doing better than ever until Depp started retaliating after her Washington Post article a year or two later, and it's fairly clear she didn't really expect him to. There were a couple of years in which a good deal of the public believed "Johnny Depp is a wife-beater and Amber Heard is a survivor of domestic abuse", although it's perhaps difficult to remember that now that the tide has turned.

Additionally, I don't think you'd have to be too cynical and jaded to wonder if someone in the public eye might try and capitalise on the #MeToo/#TimesUp zeitgeist, after settling matters amicably in 2016, and that any career damage is the result of an unexpected backfire where she's been forced to substantiate the same claims under oath and has, largely, failed to convincingly do so thus far.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting definitively that this is what's happened here, just that "there is no reason for her to lie" isn't a particularly strong argument in and of itself. People can and do lie about very serious things, it should never be ruled out as a possibility. At the very least, there absolutely should be some pushback against a person attempting to become a spokesperson for survivors of domestic violence when there exists concrete, from-the-horse's-mouth evidence of them being a perpetrator of it themselves. I think it's possible to not entirely absolve Depp and study his behaviour for what it is whilst also not throwing your allegiance behind Heard in reaction to the blind, sometimes rabid support he's been receiving these past couple of months.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Pimhole on May 26, 2022, 07:15:32 PMThis is good

https://embedded.substack.com/p/she-supported-johnny-depp-then-she?s=r

'So,I used to think this thing because of media but now I think this thing because of reddit'.

Her case is some texts in the style of Hunter S Thompson, her mates - some of whom could'nt even get their story straight, a couple of wimblewrongs, some offended cabinets and a series of 'experts' each wackier than the last.

Pimhole

I meant it's good in the sense that it's someone realising they've been radicalised into a QAnon-style hysterical witch hunt. Makes a change.

gotmilk

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 26, 2022, 08:11:30 PMAdditionally, I don't think you'd have to be too cynical and jaded to wonder if someone in the public eye might try and capitalise on the #MeToo/#TimesUp zeitgeist, after settling matters amicably in 2016, and that any career damage is the result of an unexpected backfire where she's been forced to substantiate the same claims under oath and has, largely, failed to convincingly do so thus far.

I'm not sure this makes sense considering she was texting family and friends about his alleged abuse during the relationship, long before MeToo. She would have to be a sociopath playing the long game rather than the opportunistic zeitgeist-hopper you propose. Frankly, I find the notion of her as this kind of Gone Girl character a bit far-fetched, and that's why I tend to side with her. Consider also how an assistant texted Amber about informing Depp that he's kicked her during a drunken rage, only to later say in court he'd seen no such thing. Fishy.

Mister Six

Quote from: gotmilk on May 27, 2022, 02:22:50 AMI'm not sure this makes sense considering she was texting family and friends about his alleged abuse during the relationship, long before MeToo. She would have to be a sociopath playing the long game rather than the opportunistic zeitgeist-hopper you propose.

Is it not possible that she'd been sending those texts as backup in the event of a case like this, and got the idea to exploit the MeToo campaign later on?

Not saying that's actually the case, I just don't think it's impossible.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: gotmilk on May 27, 2022, 02:22:50 AMI'm not sure this makes sense considering she was texting family and friends about his alleged abuse during the relationship, long before MeToo. She would have to be a sociopath playing the long game rather than the opportunistic zeitgeist-hopper you propose. Frankly, I find the notion of her as this kind of Gone Girl character a bit far-fetched, and that's why I tend to side with her. Consider also how an assistant texted Amber about informing Depp that he's kicked her during a drunken rage, only to later say in court he'd seen no such thing. Fishy.

Yeah, that's fair. There's definitely a lot more to it, and it should be clear by now that Depp wasn't simply an innocent victim in all of this. I just think the argument that Heard would have no reason to lie about it is a weak one, especially when it now seems like she did at least misrepresent some things in her accusations.

On a day to day basis, though, I do think the press treatment of Heard has been unfair (not to mention the public reactions!) A lot of articles seem to be deliberately using screenshots of her with a kind of wretched expression on her face while Depp sits stoically or flashes a warm smile at the jury. Considering the opposite was true a couple of years ago, it just goes to show how fickle and uneven everything is in the public forum now, when the obvious response from anyone who wasn't directly involved in the relationship is that they were likely both somewhat unstable and abusive. The only good thing that may have come from it would be the acknowledgement that men can also suffer abuse in relationships and that perhaps there's some common ground to be found there, but of course everyone got bored of that very quickly and turned it into a tale of a valiant knight slaying a witch.

Cold Meat Platter

Why is everyone talking about Hitler now?

EDIT: soz youtube had autoplayed to a Nuremburg vid

Noodle Lizard

On a purely selfish level, the best thing to come out of this has been that Kramer guy's testimony. I've watched the whole thing now and it's had me hooting more than any other hour of comedy in recent history. So utterly bizarre.

C_Larence

Quote from: Pimhole on May 26, 2022, 07:15:32 PMThis is good

https://embedded.substack.com/p/she-supported-johnny-depp-then-she?s=r

That is interesting. I've been served multiple pro-depp videos whenever I've browsed through TikTok. Little vignettes from the court case with humorous music underneath (usually the mii creator theme from the Nintendo wii). Here's Johnny shaking the hands of guards as he leaves court, here he is cheekily smiling as Heard's lawyer messes up. All the people in the comments completely on Depp's side, no questions asked.

Then one day I got served a video that simply showed the texts Depp had sent about Heard. Every single comment was from someone in shock that there could possibly be another side to the story, almost certainly due to the fact that they had only been seeing the same sort of videos as me.

TikTok comments often read like a combination of the worst of YouTube and Reddit, due to being mainly populated by teenagers, and one of the worst things that I've noticed is how credulous younger people seem to be. I wonder if perhaps the lesson of not believing everything you see online (which other people have observed was taught to us by a generation who have since collectively been driven insane by ignoring their own advice) hasn't been passed down effectively.

bgmnts

Does him being a nightmare to live with, allegedly, excuse abuse? I suppose that's the question.

If so, we would have to revisit lots of cases where women were presumably toxic or nightmares to live with and suffered abuse and said fuck it you deserve it.

Lord Mandrake

He never broke charachter from Raoul Duke. I bet Musk has got a crooked cock, maybe his accuser could use that as an identifier?

Nowhere Man

Bump because I'd rather find out the verdict from here then trudge through twitter or the media cesspool

jobotic

Hey when he said he'd like to drown her burn her and rape her corpse he was just being cool like that Hunter S Thompson he's like because he's cool too. She's bitchy.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Nowhere Man on May 31, 2022, 08:51:26 PMBump because I'd rather find out the verdict from here then trudge through twitter or the media cesspool

I think the verdict will probably be appealed no matter what, we won't have heard the last of it. Hopefully when the public finally loses interest there can be a proper trial that sorts things out fairly, or better yet that they can come to some kind of settlement and agree to drop it. In Depp's case, at least, it's clear that it was far more about redeeming him in the eyes of the public, which I think he's more or less done. I doubt he's actually expecting to get $50m from Amber Heard, who seemingly hired her lawyers off an ad on a bus-stop bench.

Anyway, Depp's been on stage with Jeff Beck in the UK a couple of times while all of this is hashed out. Presumably with his guitar's amps turned off, as per usual.

johnlogan

In Depp's case, at least, it's clear that it was far more about redeeming him in the eyes of the public, which I think he's more or less done.

I keep seeing people say this. Is this actually true? I have a hard time seeing him get back to the sort of gigs he'd grown accustomed to, and I certainly don't see him lowering his fee for indie films. Even just keeping it to how he seems to talk about the women in his life, I can't be the only person who'd find the idea of him going back to sleepwalking through star vehicles a bit rum.

Getting big vibes that he'll have the same sort of overly sensitive fanbase that Mel Gibson seems to keep, except switching out scared men for mums who remember liking Edward Scissorhands.

Cuellar

I reckon Marilyn Manson will still have him in music videos, he'll be fine.

GoblinAhFuckScary

really haven't followed this too much buy my instinct has been that the reaction to this has been massively if not all based on garden variety misogyny.

I'll quote what i read earlier from someone on the internets i follow

"As a verdict is possibly hours away, a sense of dread has been building in my stomach for what it will mean for Amber's future, as well as all victims of intimate partner violence (IPV), particularly as women's basic rights continue to be under attack in the United States. Like many people who are following the case, I have personal experiences with abuse. Much of my research focuses on IPV, specifically, the disparities in resources and services that are available for survivors to leave their abusers, such as economic, social, geographical barriers. It's a topic which is deeply tied to my own personal experiences and academic career.

I initially was ambivalent to Amber Heard. Before I began to research the case, I was firmly in the "they both suck" camp, having only briefly glanced through articles. I started to pay more attention to the media coverage over the past six weeks and was really staggered by how Heard was being portrayed as a lying, crazy, gold-digging woman through narratives that were not only going unchallenged, but were heavily perpetuated in the public discourse. Even worse, that the abuse she experienced had been capitalized on by "true crime" junkies and mocked in TikTok videos and Youtube compilations. So I began watching the trial live and found that there was far more evidence and far more substantial evidence which shows that JD was the perpetrator of abuse within their relationship.

The evidence collected through JD's personal texts and emails show an early pattern of abuse. He exerted control over the clothes Amber wore and would become angry when she didn't dress "conservatively". He would consistently accuse her of having affairs with acquaintances, friends, and various co-stars, even with an openly gay director, Clive Barker. He didn't like that she was ambitious and would scorn her when she took opportunities to advance her career. He would constantly refer to her with misogynistic language. He also referred to Amber, an openly bisexual woman, as a "lesbian camp counsellor". He messaged other men to discuss killing her through drowning and burning her, and then raping her burnt corpse to prove that she was truly dead. This all occurred while they were still dating. She was in her early 20s and he was in 50s. All of these coercive, paranoid, jealous, controlling behaviours are deeply and unequivocally abusive.

None of this includes the evidence which shows physical and sexual abuse. There are audio tapes in which he admits to headbutting her, so hard that she was concerned her nose was broken. In another recording, they discuss how her family and friends have seen her bruises, broken blood vessels, and bald spots from her hair being torn out of her scalp. In another one, she screams "stop hitting me!" Another shows him stating "I will smack the ugly c**t before I let her in." A video shows him aggressively breaking and smashing furniture near her. One interaction reveals that Stephen Deuters, his assistant, begged her to come back to him after her assaulted her on a plane in front of his bodyguards, pleading to her that JD was remorseful for his actions. Heard also has stated he sexually assaulted her multiple times. Remember, he previously discussed violently raping her in those infamous messages to Paul Bettany.

As for witnesses, several testified to seeing bruises on her numerous times, including JD's witnesses, such as their marriage counsellor. A makeup artist, Melanie Inglessis, testified to covering swelling on her lip and two black eyes. Raquel Pennington saw several injuries, including bloodied bald spots on her head, a swollen nose, and cut lip. She expressed fear JD would eventually kill Amber if she didn't leave. Josh Drew also testified to seeing her with injuries, including black eyes, a swollen cheek, and a busted lip. iO Tillet Wright (who Depp misgenders throughout his testimony) recalled hearing JD assault Amber and scream "oh, you think I hit you? You think I fucking hit you? What if I peel your fucking hair back". iO then called 911. This was the incident which led Heard to file for a divorce and a restraining order, two days afterwards. It is worth noting that Pennington, Drew, and Wright all corroborated this incident in their depositions, as did iO's 2016 essay.

Is she guilty of fighting back? Absolutely. She never lied about doing so, even dating back to her 2016 deposition. However, fighting back against a man who has beaten you, sexually assaulted you, controlled your career, finances, and who you can associate with does not equate to being an abuser. It's simply surviving. And yes, I've heard those audio tapes, the in which she's expresses her incredulity at him for stating their fights were fair when she feared he would kill her.

His case has relied upon deeply misogynistic narratives to discredit both her claims and her character. She was after his money all along, even though she refused the 30 million dollar fortune she was legally entitled to, as there was no prenup. She painted on bruises, even though a makeup artist testified to covering up her swollen lip and two black eyes. She cut off his finger, even though multiple texts and even an audio recording showcase him admitting to doing it in the midst of a bender. She didn't donate her money, even though she and the organization created a 10 year plan for her to make yearly payments (in my personal opinion, what she does with her money either way is nobody's fucking business). Also worth noting, an ACLU representative testified to her being ahead of schedule until Depp began suing her. She made up a hoax, because she documented her abuse - as we advise all people who are in abusive situations to do. She's a liar, because women are inherently deceitful liars.

None of the evidence that JD's attorneys presented has proven that she defamed him through her op-ed piece. That's likely because their goal was never to prove that her article - which never explicitly references him or their relationship - impacted his career. Those who watched the trial will know, Tracy Jacobs, his agent of 30 years stated that it was his drug and alcohol abuse, anger issues, chronic lateness (7 or 8 hours late to set each day), and unprofessionalism that led to his career decline. Film crews grew tired of working around these problems, and eventually, so did Hollywood. Tina Newman, a Disney Corporate Representative who worked on POTC stated no one knew of Amber's op-ed until Depp sued her.

The trial was always meant to humiliate, shame, and terrorize her. We are witnessing in a powerful man terrorize his ex-wife through the legal system, all while the world makes TikToks of her sexual assault testimony. JD has a documented history of violence and is due for another court date after assaulting a crew member of the set of City of Lies. To quote his own words, "If I'm angry and I've got to lash out or hit somebody, I'm going to do it and I don't care what the repercussions are. Anger doesn't pay rent, it's gotta go. It's gotta be evicted."

I don't know whether Amber Heard will win her case. We're witnessing a radical right-wing political swing to control and criminalize women's bodies with Roe v. Wade under attack right now. To be blunt, I have very little faith in the justice system and that a jury - in Virginia of all places - will rule in favour of an abused woman over her charismatic, powerful ex-husband. However, I think it's important to remember that Amber did everything right, that is, everything we tell women to do. She documented her abuse, left her abusive partner, and was granted a restraining order - and she's continuing to be punished for doing so. If Amber, a privileged white woman with access to economic resources, is still struggling to escape her abuser, how can we expect women without those privileges to?"