Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:02:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Words and phrases that only newspaper headlines use

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, May 16, 2022, 01:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2022, 03:34:59 PMI was walking through the quarry in the park the other lunchtime and some school must have had a trip out there as there was a discarded instruction sheet with 'LAB Apparatus' at the top. Which lead me to thinking 'apparatus' is rarely used outside of school (also used for gym equipment as well as scientific gear), our department has a lab of sorts and nobody uses the a-word.

Paraphernalia. Either drugs or science. No other use.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 17, 2022, 12:44:15 AMI'd ban this phrase unless they agreed to use only references to their smallest and least successful hits - Elton could be the 'Who Wears These Shoes? hitmaker', for instance.

I once did that very thing while writing some article or other, purely for my own amusement. I described Elton as "the Just Like Belgium hitmaker". They printed it too. You can imagine the mild sense of satisfaction I felt.

king_tubby

touchingcloth

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 21, 2022, 10:08:37 PMHave we had "swelters" yet?
There's a whole language around heatwaves, like "scorcher" and "meltdown", and about weather more generally. "Blast" or "freeze" as nouns, and "snow hell" which is short as possible but ignores the fact that hell is hot?

touchingcloth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 22, 2022, 11:38:22 AMThere's a whole language around heatwaves, like "scorcher" and "meltdown", and about weather more generally. "Blast" or "freeze" as nouns, and "snow hell" which is short as possible but ignores the fact that hell is hot?

BRITAIN BAKES BEFORE BREXIT BANISHMENT BEGINS B-ARE BRAVE BOYS

Des Wigwam

Are people ever just taken to hospital or is it always a 999 Dash?

gilbertharding

Lots of this is just standard 'Popular Orange Vegetable' stuff.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2010/jun/02/my-synonym-hell-mind-your-language

Unfortunately it quotes

Quote...and Ireland described on Radio 4 as "the cockatoo-shaped landmass".

neglecting to point out that the person doing the describing was Chris Morris, who was, safe to say, exactly in command of what he was doing.

Cold Meat Platter

An attempt to do something as a 'bid'. Just saw a headline about a 'failed rape bid'.