Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:28:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MigraineBoy

After his tweet today about the LGB Alliance fella, I reckon Mark Watson might be the next comedian ripe for some Banana bile.

Cold Meat Platter

https://www.chortle.co.uk/punching-ups/2022/05/30/50878/frank_skinner%3A_i_used_to_be_racist%2C_sexist_and_homophobic

Hey look someone recognising and learning from mistakes.

"Frank Skinner has admitted that he used to be bigoted – but says he has evolved  over the decades.

Speaking about growing up in the West Midlands in the 1960s and 70s, the comedian said:  'I used racist language, I was sexist, I was homophobic. I completely own up to that. I have evolved.'

The 65-year-old said he thought 'the future is going to be a lot better' and could learn a lot from his ten-year-old son, Buzz

'He's fine with gender politics, he's fine with race. He doesn't even question [or] talk about those things,' Skinner explained.

The comic was speaking at the Hay Festival, and his comments reported in the Daily Telegraph.

In another session at the festival, Stephen Fry said he did not think Britain was a 'very tolerant nation'.

The 64-year-old explained: 'There are two types of racism... one of the National Front type... But there is also the fact that our world as white people is such a blissfully easy swim... and we're not aware of what a white space it is and how unwelcoming it has been for people of colour, especially black people.'

He explained that because British tend to be 'politer' than Americans we 'delude ourselves' that racism isn't a problem.

'It's like any self-mythologising,' he added. 'This idea we're a very tolerant nation, the British – ugh. All right, talk about yourselves as tolerant, but actually think what that really means.'"

frajer

Just read that article and Skinner didn't burn any bridges, verbally assault or throw anyone under the bus. He admitted fault and showed change and growth. It's almost like he wants to keep working in the industry!

bgmnts

This inability to understand our own intolerance was highlighted beautifully by that woman who did that blue eyes brown eyes study thing in school wasn't it?

Still, good to see old comics still trying to be better people, and I agree with Skinner that I honestly think the next generation of people are and will be better, as painful as it is.

petril

Quote from: Cuellar on May 31, 2022, 08:42:38 PMI don't know, I think he's suggesting that talking about yourself and your general interests, presumably on a website that's meant serve as an introduction to these people, is masturbatory.

But honestly it just reads like "These kids are different and I, the normal middle-aged man, do not understand it and I do NOT like it"

it's very ancient Daily Mirror advert energy

JamesTC

Quote from: Barry Admin on May 31, 2022, 08:05:31 PMGreat post @JamesTC, but the blue tick thing seems to be twitter's own doing. I checked the last time it was flagged up here, and noticed that the blue ticks don't seem to exist outside of twitter.  Twitter must deliberately suppress them when people embed their tweets etc.

Ahh yeah, that does ring a bell actually. I just quickly went through my saved images to find examples of him acting like a child.

Quote from: JamesTC on May 31, 2022, 09:30:04 PMAhh yeah, that does ring a bell actually. I just quickly went through my saved images to find examples of him acting like a child.

It's such a shame that one wasn't true, it really added to the lore.

king_tubby

I think I posted this before, but whilst we're talking about people owning their previous work as problematic I really appreciated this from cartoonist Lew Stringer from earlier this year.

http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/2022/01/woke-or-natural-progression.html

QuoteI was a younger man when I created those characters and now, at 62, hopefully I'm more mindful of the targets I choose for comedy. It's never too late to change your outlook.

#notallboomers

jobotic

Good for him. And the way he deals with the "What about freedom of speech?" twats in the comments (all of who are anonymous).

GoblinAhFuckScary

Mister Six

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 31, 2022, 10:24:21 PMdoctor for trans people

Blimey. If that's feasible then I could see governments even putting money into speeding it along, given how birth rates in developed countries are falling...

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Mister Six on May 31, 2022, 10:32:04 PMBlimey. If that's feasible then I could see governments even putting money into speeding it along, given how birth rates in developed countries are falling...

imagine!

yeah for context I'm getting confirmation surgery soonish after a six or so year wait, and when discussing what it is I'm specifically interested in having done she was like oh are you sure you wouldn't perhaps want to wait until we have womb transplants? i was at a conference the other day and we'll probably have them within in a decade

and I'm like... nah I'm good just sort me out now thanks xx

wrec

Buzz Skinner is about to be the subject of an open letter accusing him of being a rape enabler and not standing up for JK Rowling

Mister Six

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on May 31, 2022, 10:35:45 PMimagine!

yeah for context I'm getting confirmation surgery soonish after a six or so year wait, and when discussing what it is I'm specifically interested in having done she was like oh are you sure you wouldn't perhaps want to wait until we have womb transplants? i was at a conference the other day and we'll probably have them within in a decade

Hey that's fantastic, congratulations! Six years is a hell of a wait, but good things etc etc...

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Mister Six on May 31, 2022, 10:45:21 PMHey that's fantastic, congratulations! Six years is a hell of a wait, but good things etc etc...

thanks pal! x

Kankurette

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 31, 2022, 09:18:14 PMIn another session at the festival, Stephen Fry said he did not think Britain was a 'very tolerant nation'.

The 64-year-old explained: 'There are two types of racism... one of the National Front type... But there is also the fact that our world as white people is such a blissfully easy swim... and we're not aware of what a white space it is and how unwelcoming it has been for people of colour, especially black people.'

He explained that because British tend to be 'politer' than Americans we 'delude ourselves' that racism isn't a problem.

'It's like any self-mythologising,' he added. 'This idea we're a very tolerant nation, the British – ugh. All right, talk about yourselves as tolerant, but actually think what that really means.'"

Even when he's talking about something like this he just sounds smug and snobbish. I don't get the feeling that he cares about racism, he just wants to ugh his inferiors. Narcissistic bellend he is.

bgmnts

Wahheyyy get in.

petril

woo, nice one

grainger

Elfking

We might have the ability to translant wombs in the next decade but I can almost guarantee it won't be available. The media and Tories will do everything in their power to prevent it for trans people, I have zero doubt about that.

JamesTC

If they let just anybody have a womb then who is going to clean all the trampolines?

Mister Six

Quote from: Elfking on May 31, 2022, 11:11:51 PMWe might have the ability to translant wombs in the next decade but I can almost guarantee it won't be available. The media and Tories will do everything in their power to prevent it for trans people, I have zero doubt about that.

Eh, the trans thing is just a cynical culture war push to win over thick cunt voters. Most important Tories couldn't really give two shits. The important thing is the economy, so ten years of dwindling birth rates + not wanting to let in more forrins + all these crusty old TERF cunts dropping dead thanks to Covid's Omega strain = much less opposition than there would be now. I hope.

bgmnts

Could anyone get a womb or would be exclusive to full reassignment surgery?

Cis men growing babies in transplanted wombs and having them caesarian sectioned out would utterly wreck terfs.

JamesTC

Would like to see Glinner's thoughts on a gay man getting a transplanted womb to have a baby. Only because he had previously expressed dodgy borderline homophobic thoughts on gay men having a baby via surrogate.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: JamesTC on May 31, 2022, 11:36:25 PMWould like to see Glinner's thoughts on a gay man getting a transplanted womb to have a baby. Only because he had previously expressed dodgy borderline homophobic thoughts on gay men having a baby via surrogate.
He'd still be apoplectic because that womb will have come from someone and I bet the narrative will be about desperately poor women selling their wombs to men so they can 'cosplay pregnancy' whereas I would suspect it'd be like most other organ donations - the result of the donor's death.

What you'd want ideally is some Star Trek way to genetically engineer a womb for transplant which didn't actually come out of anyone. They'll have a reason why that's bad too but I can't do enough mental gymnastics to predict what that might be.

Ferris

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 31, 2022, 08:51:05 AMThe NHS website says a couple of times than men who have sex with men are at particular risk of monkeypox.

I read about the term "men who love men" and "women who love women" just today, and thought "ooh how interesting" because it destigmatizes homosexual relationships and sidelines the idea that they are all about sex.