Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:16:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Adam Buxton Podcast Thread II: You're MAI WAIF now

Started by Phil_A, March 05, 2021, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 22, 2022, 08:34:35 PMAlexa Chung's bottom must have some seriously powerful magical properties for Buckles to still be publicly working through his guilt about touching it all those years ago.
Eh? When was this?

Pranet

He mentioned this on a podcast. Apparently, at public school, him and his friends had some sort of game of going up to someone and putting a hand on their bottom. Yes, I know.

Anyway, at some festival or something, he for some fucking reason thought it would be a good idea to do this to Alexa Chung. Who understandably wasn't impressed.

That's how I remember it anyway.

Virgo76

Oh yes! It's all here...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7fkpasytPss

The 'woke' chat on the podcast didn't bother me anyway.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Pranet on May 23, 2022, 02:19:53 PMYeah I know, despite me picking up on your phrase my post wasn't only or mainly aimed at you. So perhaps I shouldn't have.

But tbh I don't really see what was so bad about what I wrote either. He is a middle class privately educated person who I think probably would self describe as a centrist. What you would call smug centrist shitfests are going to happen.

I suppose you're right, being a bit of a soft middle class type but extremely silly along with it is basically his appeal, plus he seems to have quite a good rappor with most creative people that he interviews right away.

Virgo76

Latest one has US comedy person Natalie Palamides on.
I didn't know her at all but a pleasant enjoyable Ramblechat.

beanheadmcginty

Her abuse of bees in the name of quackery put me off her at the start, but she'd won me round by the end. I just wish she'd lay off the poor bees.

Icehaven

I've never heard of her before, I've got as far as the bees and I'm struggling not to switch off she's so awful, but I'll try and get to the end.

Mobbd

Aw, I liked her. Good introduction to her personality. I like the sound of her work. (Aye, shame about the bees though).

Blinder Data

Yeah, never seen her stuff but she was fun. Funnily enough I thought this would've been a good opportunity to talk about woke stuff as her Nate show clearly toys with gender roles, etc. Maybe Buckles feels more comfortable chatting about it with his middle-aged male friends.

somersetchris

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 30, 2022, 10:20:57 AMYeah, never seen her stuff but she was fun. Funnily enough I thought this would've been a good opportunity to talk about woke stuff as her Nate show clearly toys with gender roles, etc. Maybe Buckles feels more comfortable chatting about it with his middle-aged male friends.

To be fair the episodes he's gone on about it the most are Kayvan Novak and Sanjiv Bhaskar, although there probably was an element of wanting an Asian person to tell him he's okay and he doesn't have to feel guilty. He couldn't really get Novak to agree with him although he kept going on about it.

Shaky

I detected a real frison between Palamides and Buckles - apart from a couple of his usual awkward questions ("What age are you?"), she genuinely seemed well into what he had to say.

Have to admit her voice and the bee stuff put me off at first, but she'd totally won me over by the end. Had plenty of funny and intelligent things to say.

edwardfog

This show has been so terrible recently. Incredibly boring dad shit just flogging the same three dead horses to ribbons.

Palamides episode was good though! Very surprised so many people have not even heard of her on a comedy board? Nate is a genuine landmark in clowning

gilbertharding

Quote from: edwardfog on May 31, 2022, 09:39:35 AMThis show has been so terrible recently. Incredibly boring dad shit just flogging the same three dead horses to ribbons.

I agree somewhat, but the Alex Horne and Tim Key ones were good, I think.

edwardfog

They were alright but I reckon most podcasts would have gotten better stuff out of them.

The Lazy Susan one was really depressing. Such a shame to book two such funny people and waste the opportunity.

edwardfog

Icehaven

She didn't grow on me at all I'm afraid, although the recitation of the old Nickelodeon ad at the end was good. Jarvis Cocker next in a few weeks.

AllisonSays

Things Jarvis Cocker would be cancelled for today: (a) getting his bum out (b) using sex as a weapon for class war (c) seducing Yannis Varafakis' future wife ... the list is endless, really.

PammySpacek

Quote from: AllisonSays on June 01, 2022, 07:30:00 AM(a) getting his bum out

He got it out to have a go at Michael Jackson, though, which does rather balance things out.

Quote from: AllisonSays on June 01, 2022, 07:30:00 AM(c) seducing Yannis Varafakis' future wife

A serious reply now - as I understand it, he never was actually properly involved with her. In the late 80s when Jarvis was attending St. Martin's, he ended up talking to her at the college bar because he fancied her. He was put off when she came out with patronizing stuff about the working class, including a phrase that ended up getting worked into the main hook in "Common People". It doesn't seem they continued it beyond that. The experience clearly rattled around in his mind for years before he put it all down on paper.

AllisonSays

To be clear I wasn't being remotely serious about any of those suggestions, just a little joke about the recent tenor of the podcast. Thanks for the extra JC/Varafakis goss though!

PammySpacek

Ah, that first bit I wrote about Jacko was meant to be funny too. We're all in a muddle.

Mobbd

Quote from: AllisonSays on June 01, 2022, 07:30:00 AM(a) getting his bum out

People always say he got his bum our but he didn't actually, did he? I remember the event and, after crashing the stage, he just sort of bent over and made farting gestures. Could be wrong but I'm sure there was no actual mooning/exposure. Clip: https://youtu.be/ymCQyq-9APw?t=85

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mobbd on June 01, 2022, 11:00:24 AMPeople always say he got his bum our but he didn't actually, did he? I remember the event and, after crashing the stage, he just sort of bent over and made farting gestures. Could be wrong but I'm sure there was no actual mooning/exposure. Clip: https://youtu.be/ymCQyq-9APw?t=85

He deffo rugby tackled Andy Crane at the Smash Hits awards though.

selectivememory

Never heard of Natalie Palamides before, but I thought she was great on this. Very funny and engaging, and I always like it when you can hear someone clearly hitting it off with Adam.

The bee thing was weird and unpleasant though, but eh, no one's perfect.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Mobbd on June 01, 2022, 11:00:24 AMPeople always say he got his bum our but he didn't actually, did he? I remember the event and, after crashing the stage, he just sort of bent over and made farting gestures. Could be wrong but I'm sure there was no actual mooning/exposure. Clip: https://youtu.be/ymCQyq-9APw?t=85
Bob Mortimer provided legal advice along the lines of 'It's not a crime to upset Michael Jackson'.

Pimhole

Quote from: AllisonSays on June 01, 2022, 07:30:00 AMYannis Varafakis' future wife

I have always thought "she came from Greece" meant some posh English Sloane returning from having 'summered' in Greece - not someone actually from Greece. How stupid of me.

thenoise

He later admitted, since there was surely no way he would actually make it onstage, he had no idea what to do once he was up there.

Virgo76

Quote from: thenoise on June 03, 2022, 08:21:16 AMHe later admitted, since there was surely no way he would actually make it onstage, he had no idea what to do once he was up there.
Ironic that Jackson's crew accused Cocker of endangering children (the ones on stage).

turnstyle

Enjoyed the Cocker chat very much, thanks Buckles.

Laughed out loud (for realsies) at his dismissive attitude to opera.

The Ombudsman

Yeah, listened to the Jarvis one last night and thought it excellent. Really enjoyed it. I like most but occasionally some episodes stand out.

Spoiler alert
Was nice to hear Jarvis and Chris Morris have sort of made friends. Bet those conversations are interesting.
[close]