Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:44:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Wes Streeting has done even less in his life than a 25 year old footballer and I never read those auto-biographies either.

Famous Mortimer

I'm pretty sure books like his aren't designed to be read.

king_tubby

WOOP WOOP THAT'S THE SOUND OF THE POLICE

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1531690350334685186

QuoteNEW: Labour sources have confirmed that Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner have now received questionnaires from Durham Constabulary.

Video Game Fan 2000

his excuse when he refuses to resign is going to be brilliant

Paul Calf

He's doing the usual favours to the Tories: this significantly blunts partygate attacks.

Where would they be without good old Sir Keith?

jobotic

Jones' bit in The Guardian today has got the centrist readers shitting their pants

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/31/boris-johnson-dishonesty-keir-starmer-labour-abandoned-pledges

They love that Tory-enabler projection don't they?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on May 31, 2022, 09:37:39 PMJones' bit in The Guardian today has got the centrist readers shitting their pants

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/31/boris-johnson-dishonesty-keir-starmer-labour-abandoned-pledges

They love that Tory-enabler projection don't they?

Guy I sort-of know got arsey because they quote-tweeted some article of Jones' saying "wheres his article about the Tories doing x" and then Jones just replied with said article. "Why's he bothering with me" etc.

I think "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" would adequately sum it up.

Fambo Number Mive

From the Telegraph

QuoteIt is the public's "patriotic duty" to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, Sir Keir Starmer said

If we're talking about duty, it is the duty of the Leader of the Opposition to provide an effective opposition to the government and Starmer hasn't been doing that.

He sounds like some 14th century baron telling the peasents it is their duty to fight in a war for the king.

Sebastian Cobb

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteCOMMENT

Britain is a better country thanks to the Queen

The Platinum Jubilee is a chance to celebrate our extraordinary monarch and the values she represents

KEIR STARMER

In fairness to Kier "Britain is a better country thanks to our Queen" was the headline and he probably didnt chose this.

Why is he writing in the Telegraph, read by upper class mansion owners and retired colonels who will always vote Tory even if Starmer promises to  bring back workhouses and invade Germany?

jobotic

Sebastian Cobb

At least he isn't spaffing membership money on it this time!

Fambo Number Mive

Wonder what Starmer will do to celebrate the Jubillee. I can imagine the prick being photographed holding a little Union Jack while sitting drinking tea and eating cake with some horrible flag staggers.

Sebastian Cobb

I wonder what he'd do if he wasn't going to treat the whole thing as his own personal PR exercise.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 31, 2022, 10:30:19 PMWonder what Starmer will do to celebrate the Jubillee. I can imagine the prick being photographed holding a little Union Jack while sitting drinking tea and eating cake with some horrible flag staggers.

EDIT: sorry, wasn't paying attention

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 31, 2022, 10:33:30 PMI wonder what he'd do if he wasn't going to treat the whole thing as his own personal PR exercise.

Go in for repairs and a reboot of his major operating system.

idunnosomename

When I was director of public prosecutions

Blumf

QuoteI'm Simon Lightwood, Labour's candidate for the Wakefield by-election.

Ever been to Wakefield, Blumf? It's a wonderful city that shows the best of Britain and there's plenty to be proud of.

But it has been badly let down by the Conservatives.

For over a year, the Tories have left the community without a voice in Parliament.

That's why I'm fighting to represent this fantastic city.

Blumf, I need your help in the fight to give Wakefield the fresh start it deserves with Labour. Chip in to the Wakefield Campaign fund today:

link:I'll chip in!

Every penny from our supporters goes towards our effort to win this crucial contest.

The Tories have badly failed the North of England and Wakefield is no exception.

By donating today, you'll be helping me get one step closer to delivering a better future for my community.

Thank you,

Simon Lightwood
Labour's Candidate for Wakefield

A note from the Yorkshire and the Humber Labour Party

We won't stop campaigning over the coming Bank Holiday. If you're passing through, join the team here in Wakefield for a campaigning session:

Maybe you wouldn't need people to 'chip in' if you hadn't pissed off the local party members

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-61441696
QuoteThe entire committee that runs the Labour Party in Wakefield has resigned in a row with party HQ in London.

The committee is angry about the way Labour's candidate for the forthcoming by-election in the West Yorkshire constituency is being chosen.

Requests for a local candidate to be in place early were ignored, they say.

Fambo Number Mive

Did they choose him because woods and fields are both things you see in the countryside? Political word association?

Never been to Wakefield, is it a fantastic, wonderful city that showcases the best of Britain? What is the best of Britain?

Video Game Fan 2000

QuoteIt is the public's "patriotic duty" to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, Sir Keir Starmer said

changed my mind about America, George Washington was amazing
no more fucking kings

Johnny Yesno

It is the pawns' duty to show deference to the queen, said the knight (as he bashed the bishop in his castle and done a king-sized jizz).

idunnosomename

The whole Sir Keir telegraph article is fucking unhinged. The central thesis is without her wed be living in a fascist dystopia. Fucking hell

QuoteThe Jubilee weekend isn't just an opportunity for us to reflect on the 70 years since Her Majesty's accession to the throne – although it will, of course, be that.
And it isn't simply a chance for a country wearied by the extraordinary circumstances of the past few years to let its hair down – although it is, of course, your patriotic duty to do just that.
No, the first Platinum Jubilee in our nation's history is a chance to celebrate a truly extraordinary Queen, to reflect on the difference she has made to her country, and to consider what our Elizabethan age has meant – and what it will mean for our future.
Over the coming days, there will be time for rich explorations of the history. How Her Majesty has guided us through turbulent times and stood alongside us during the good and the bad.
But I want to reflect on the values the Queen represents and how they have made her such a popular, unifying and enduring figure.
We live in a time in which our attitudes towards authority have changed. The deferential culture of the early part of Her Majesty's reign has long gone.
But the Queen has been able to rise above much of the archness and cynicism: the hope and surety she represents sometimes feel like a throwback to that former age. The admiration people have for her goes far beyond the typical relationship between monarch and people.
There is no great secret as to how she has managed this. Her Majesty's commitment to duty and her passion for furthering our country on the world stage have not just benefited each of us – they have also conferred on her the respect and love of people here and across the world. She has shown us that integrity, hard work and selflessness are the antidote to pessimism.
It is a truism that with great power comes great responsibility, but the Queen's reign has been a continuous reminder of the way to deal with that – to block out the noise and get on with the job at hand.
The Western world has changed beyond recognition since the 1950s. This has led to fundamental questions about what it means to be a citizen and what it means to be patriotic. Britain has been no outlier in this. Her Majesty's constant presence – a bridge between different eras – has been an important part in helping us to wrestle with those questions.
That Britain has at every juncture rejected extremism is in no small part due to our idea of who we are as a people: an idea borne of a sense of stability that cannot exist without strong institutions.
Watching last year's Euro 2020 tournament, it was striking not just how many of the home nations' players were first, second or third-generation immigrants but how many of those wearing replica shirts in the stands or the pubs were as well.
This weekend's celebrations will feel the same. I encourage everyone to get involved – and I endorse this newspaper's call for local authorities to try to ensure that as many events can take place and as many people can celebrate as possible.
Just as at the Queen's coronation in 1953, our country is at a crossroads. Just as then, we have gone through great change. And just as then, there are siren voices who claim that our best days are behind us.
But they will once again be proven wrong. The Britain that is emerging at this Platinum Jubilee is one that is again ready to move on from the tribulations of recent years, stronger for its experiences, and more than able to seize the opportunities ahead. A new patriotism, one that is easy, self-confident and inclusive, is being born all around us.
Just as the Queen has led us through the past 70 years, all that she has taught us – about duty, tolerance, humility and responsibility – will continue to guide us into this next era. We are a better, brighter country because of her. Our history is richer, our future built on firmer foundations and our great country made greater still by her rule.
Now that's something worth celebrating.

Neville Chamberlain

Fuck off, you deeply, deeply boring man.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Sir on June 02, 2022, 10:03:50 AMThat Britain has at every juncture rejected extremism is in no small part due to our idea of who we are as a people: an idea borne of a sense of stability that cannot exist without strong institutions.

Has he been living under a fucking rock for the past fucking decade?!?

idunnosomename

No he's just lying and pleasing nobody. The Labour party is not for buying into the idea the upper classes are somehow great and that souls flow to the leviathan. It's for fighting for working people's rights.

This actually motivates me to vote AGAINST this cunt at the ballot box. Go fuck a butchers apron lawyer boy

Sebastian Cobb

That's quite an oddly written article, just an odd collection of sentences with little attempt to weave them together. Kind of what happens when you run a long article through https://smmry.com but without the actual brevity.

Having one political party selling us this fantasy version of Blighty isn't enough, we now have to have an anaemic alternative Tory party saying much the same things but with less commitment and enthusiasm.

And Telegraph readers will still vote the way they always do come election time so a completely pointless endeavour, much like trying to sway the visitors of Conservative Home.

Poobum

Building an entire tedious hagiography of the Queen by recognizing her amazing ability to exist for a really long (too long if you ask me!) time.

Video Game Fan 2000

monarchy has always been recognised as a symbol of democracy, humility and political moderation