Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:59:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 03, 2022, 10:08:55 PMI think the "brain drain" theory has been debunked. Can't remember where though.
Well, I'm convinced

idunnosomename

lmao. no yeah I agree with Diane in part, but I wouldn't broadcast it for a number of reasons. mostly because it could be interpreted as anti-immigration.

UK universities bring in international students largely because they can charge them more. but when these students graduate they dont necessarily stay here. I mean unless they get a job they have to fuck off immediately

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 04, 2022, 12:14:00 AMbut when these students graduate they dont necessarily stay here. I mean unless they get a job they have to fuck off immediately

Aye or a partner who is a British citizen earning £35k+. Was in this position myself back in the day. It was truly unworkable unless you knew someone who could pull strings to get you a job on that salary fresh out of university, which you obviously need mad connections to be able to do.

We broke up for other reasons but it deffo didn't help.

imitationleather

Quote from: shoulders on June 03, 2022, 04:47:30 PMThe Overton Window simply concerns how 'normality' and 'moderate' opinions are adjusted over time to move certain political ideas out of the scope of mainstream discourse and by doing so create a new normal and a new extreme.

Everything else is an over interpreted version.

Also as has been pointed out this is what the Overton Window means and is a nice and succinct definition for all the lads reading.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 04, 2022, 12:14:00 AMUK universities bring in international students largely because they can charge them more. but when these students graduate they dont necessarily stay here. I mean unless they get a job they have to fuck off immediately

She's probably talking about the Graduate visa route.

Note it's not just the brains that are being drained:

QuoteHow much it costs

When you apply for a Graduate visa, you'll need to:

• pay the £715 application fee
  • pay the healthcare surcharge - this is usually £624 for each year you'll be in the UK

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Blumf on June 03, 2022, 09:53:55 PMIsn't she talking about taking trained people away from third world countries, not the students.

Could see it being a problem trying to build up your economy if most your high skilled labour is drained away to the West.

Very true, but I'm not sure what Diane is suggesting. Is she saying the government should be offering fewer visas to those from countries that could be seen as LEDC? Because I would have thought she would want a world with more freedom of movement, which would make it easier for people to move from country to country for various reasons which include their job. Inevitably there will be some "brain drain" and surely the answer to this is to reduce inequalities between countries not restrict the options of highly skilled people.

I note she has turned off replies on the tweet. Not sure if I have misunderstood what she was saying.

Sebastian Cobb

Video Game Fan 2000

Paul Calf

Diane Abbott is saying that these highly skilled people should be staying in the countries where they were born to help ensure their future economic prosperity.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/04/labour-says-it-is-now-the-true-party-of-patriotism-and-british-values?

I challenge my right honourable friend to a flag-shagging contest.

QuoteSenior Labour party figures said Boris Johnson – who was booed outside St Paul's Cathedral on Friday – was no longer seen by the public as a leader who upholds the British standards of integrity, decency and honesty that the country has long been admired for across the world.

The always decent, honest Brits. The admired Brits.

Menu

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 04, 2022, 07:03:39 PMDiane Abbott is saying that these highly skilled people should be staying in the countries where they were born to help ensure their future economic prosperity.

Shouldn't it be up to the individual? This isn't leftwing. It's the sort of thing Farage says when he's trying not to let the mask slip. People from poorer countries using our educational institutions and/or then getting highly-skilled well-paid jobs is good for them and their countries. And us. Many more should come, if anything.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Quote on June 04, 2022, 09:56:52 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/04/labour-says-it-is-now-the-true-party-of-patriotism-and-british-values?

QuoteLabour is determined to show itself as patriotic and pro-British following Jeremy Corbyn's time as leader, when many of its traditional voters switched to the Tories. Many frontbench Labour figures are now filmed making speeches in front of large union jacks.

Corbyn had pushed for the monarchy to be abolished early on in his time in parliament, and failed to sing the national anthem at a commemoration of the Battle of Britain in 2015.

lol They can't help themselves, can they?

Rent.

Free.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Quote on June 04, 2022, 09:56:52 PMhttps://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/04/labour-says-it-is-now-the-true-party-of-patriotism-and-british-values?

I challenge my right honourable friend to a flag-shagging contest.

The always decent, honest Brits. The admired Brits.

I've always wondered what makes British values soo different. Let's look them up, shall we? British Values are defined as the following:

QuoteDemocracy
A culture built upon freedom and equality, where everyone is aware of their rights and responsibilities.

The rule of law
The need for rules to make a happy, safe and secure environment to live and work.

Individual liberty
Protection of your rights and the rights of others around you.

Mutual respect & tolerance of different faiths and beliefs
Understanding that we all don't share the same beliefs and values. Respecting those values, ideas and beliefs of others whilst not imposing our own onto them.

Nice to know we're the only country in the world with these values. I mean, the Germans can't have any of the above values, because they're British values - is that the point these twats are trying to make?

Paul Calf

Quote from: Menu on June 05, 2022, 03:01:37 AMShouldn't it be up to the individual? This isn't leftwing. It's the sort of thing Farage says when he's trying not to let the mask slip. People from poorer countries using our educational institutions and/or then getting highly-skilled well-paid jobs is good for them and their countries. And us. Many more should come, if anything.

It's more the sort of thing that Paul Nuttals of the UKIPs might say.

Fambo Number Mive

Exactly, it's the same argument those on the right use about people from other countries getting jobs in the NHS.

KennyMonster

pancreas

Quote from: Menu on June 05, 2022, 03:01:37 AMShouldn't it be up to the individual? This isn't leftwing. It's the sort of thing Farage says when he's trying not to let the mask slip. People from poorer countries using our educational institutions and/or then getting highly-skilled well-paid jobs is good for them and their countries. And us. Many more should come, if anything.

Is it good for their countries? For just one example, how do you have a functioning Higher Education system if all your best people are going off to get jobs in the US, UK, France, Germany etc.. Does it not slow the rate at which those countries can develop?

There must be a compromise. Maybe some sort of exchange programme. Everyone has to do a rotation of two years somewhere else or something.

Video Game Fan 2000

QuoteMutual respect & tolerance of different faiths and beliefs
Understanding that we all don't share the same beliefs and values. Respecting those values, ideas and beliefs of others whilst not imposing our own onto them.

historically the most british of all beliefs

Video Game Fan 2000

Sebastian Cobb

The flag stuff always has an insincere 'this is what the shitmunchers like isn't it?'.

In actual fact I think the only shitmunchers that like it are people who aren't as clever as they think they are and consider it good posturing rather than good in itself.

Video Game Fan 2000

luv luvving what the Big Other luvs me to think it luvs
simple as

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 05, 2022, 03:59:49 PMThe flag stuff always has an insincere 'this is what the shitmunchers like isn't it?'.

In actual fact I think the only shitmunchers that like it are people who aren't as clever as they think they are and consider it good posturing rather than good in itself.

The so-called 'centrists' are beguiled by the notion that the best ideas are counter-intuitive despite how shit they might be in actuality. This grown-ups-in-the-room mentality has the same appeal as the hidden knowledge of conspiracy theories.

Sebastian Cobb

"you and I know it's bullshit, but it's the right kind of bullshit"

Johnny Yesno

'Exactly. So, now we understand each other, I'll ask again: do you want to buy these 'magic' (lol) beans?'

Menu

Quote from: pancreas on June 05, 2022, 02:58:37 PMIs it good for their countries? For just one example, how do you have a functioning Higher Education system if all your best people are going off to get jobs in the US, UK, France, Germany etc.. Does it not slow the rate at which those countries can develop?

There must be a compromise. Maybe some sort of exchange programme. Everyone has to do a rotation of two years somewhere else or something.

You don't have to impose that. It happens naturally over a period of time. Connections breed connections. It starts with them sending money home, then maybe they bring family over, then they meet a nice girl here and the kids go back to the motherland knowing the language etc etc. It only becomes ugly when you try to put a stop to any of that.  And, yes, I'm all for exchange programmes of any kind. MORE PLEASE, BBC!

Menu

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 05, 2022, 10:27:16 AMIt's more the sort of thing that Paul Nuttals of the UKIPs might say.

God I miss him.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@Keir_Starmer
The Queen's commitment to Britain is unwavering.

The Queen has improved our country's reputation around the world – and has stood with us at home, through good times and bad.

Today, on #ThankYouDay, we celebrate and give our thanks to Her Majesty.

Cold Meat Platter

The 'Women4Wes' twitter account just posted this lmao

shoulders