Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jurassic World: Dominion

Started by Thomas, February 26, 2020, 11:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timebug

I was given the chance to watch a 'preview' of this the othe rnight. Apparently it is between two hours fifteen minutes and two hours thirty. I lasted just under an hour. Charmless,plotless, yet another 'look what we can do with cgi' fest for the terminally simple.One of the biggest piles of crap I have ever tried to watch,and I am an avid movie-watcher.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: timebug on June 09, 2022, 09:57:52 AMApparently it is between two hours fifteen minutes and two hours thirty.

Two hours 27 minutes, according to the BBFC.

Ferris

Quote from: Shaky on June 09, 2022, 08:54:00 AMI don't usually get fussed over sequels I'll likely never watch, but out of 6 of these fuckers only the first is genuinely very good. These cunts can't be entirely driven by money so what's persuading them to keep going? There's been zero creative or narrative mileage.

They're entirely driven by money, no? Drive for profit at all costs has turned absolute must-watch IP that I loved when I was younger (simpsons, star wars, Jurassic park among others) into stuff I haven't bothered with in decades because the decline in quality and cash grab has been so blatant.

Made some hollywood cunts lots of money though, so they'll keep going. That's why they're still trying to squeeze a couple bucks out of ghostbusters or ninja turtles.

up_the_hampipe

1 star in The Guardian. Can't wait!

idunnosomename

It seems that this particular film series, like the dinosaurs it features, may have to go - like the dinosaurs themselves - extinct!!!

Replies From View

Quote from: Ferris on June 09, 2022, 11:02:31 AMThey're entirely driven by money, no? Drive for profit at all costs has turned absolute must-watch IP that I loved when I was younger (simpsons, star wars, Jurassic park among others) into stuff I haven't bothered with in decades because the decline in quality and cash grab has been so blatant.

Made some hollywood cunts lots of money though, so they'll keep going. That's why they're still trying to squeeze a couple bucks out of ghostbusters or ninja turtles.

Somebody needs to explain why there are six Home Alone films.

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on June 09, 2022, 06:59:58 PMSomebody needs to explain why there are six Home Alone films.

kevin's parents are complete bobbins?

Replies From View

bgmnts

Anytime any of these films comes out I just heard Mike Stoklasa, Jay Baumann and Rich Evans shouting "remember Jurassic Park!?" etc

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on June 09, 2022, 07:20:06 PMAnytime any of these films comes out I just heard Mike Stoklasa, Jay Baumann and Rich Evans shouting "remember Jurassic Park!?" etc

why are they saying that in response to home alone

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on June 09, 2022, 07:13:45 PMSIX HOME ALONE FILMS

i suspect their behaviour re: "accidentally" leaving him home alone is intentional at this point

Replies From View

Quote from: Ferris on June 09, 2022, 07:37:36 PMi suspect their behaviour re: "accidentally" leaving him home alone is intentional at this point

It's not the same family every time.  They sidestep to different families and in one of them they don't even leave the boy alone for a long time, they just go to work while he pretends to be ill.

WHY ARE THERE SIX OF THEM

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 09, 2022, 05:42:41 PMIt seems that this particular film series, like the dinosaurs it features, may have to go - like the dinosaurs themselves - extinct!!!

I guess this isn't the roaring 20s after all!!!

idunnosomename

Quote from: bgmnts on June 09, 2022, 07:20:06 PMAnytime any of these films comes out I just heard Mike Stoklasa, Jay Baumann and Rich Evans shouting "remember Jurassic Park!?" etc
that idiot Mike actually liked Jurassic World

Ferris

Quote from: Replies From View on June 09, 2022, 08:15:16 PMIt's not the same family every time.  They sidestep to different families and in one of them they don't even leave the boy alone for a long time, they just go to work while he pretends to be ill.

WHY ARE THERE SIX OF THEM

Still sounds like coordinated behaviour, probably a network of these sickos who meet up online and leave their kids behind while they go shagging in Mexico or some shit.

Replies From View

mexico isn't even that good apparently

Goldentony

the third isnt Kevin, the 4th canonically is, what are 5 and 6, are they the McAllisters?

Replies From View

Quote from: Goldentony on June 09, 2022, 10:36:27 PMthe third isnt Kevin, the 4th canonically is, what are 5 and 6, are they the McAllisters?

Nope.  I've no idea why they decided to pretend it was Kevin in Home Alone 4, either.

Glebe

Empire have gifted it 3 stars. Of course this is Empire we're talking about.

Shaky

Quote from: Ferris on June 09, 2022, 11:02:31 AMThey're entirely driven by money, no? Drive for profit at all costs has turned absolute must-watch IP that I loved when I was younger (simpsons, star wars, Jurassic park among others) into stuff I haven't bothered with in decades because the decline in quality and cash grab has been so blatant.

Oh it's the bottom line sure, but for all these cast and crew members to spend months, years on these fucking things, at least some of them must feel it's creatively fulfilling. I mean I firmly believe that the likes of Spielberg, for all his financial nous, largely believes in and cares about what he makes (and when he doesn't, as with the likes of Indy 4, he's not shy of dropping a few hints after the fact).

Perhaps I'm being ultra-naive as I can't imagine wasting years of my life on something totally creatively throw-away, whatever the pay. Maybe they just tell themselves, "Next time I'll make that deep, life-altering classic," and never get around to it, a la George Lucas and all those small, intimate films he was supposed to make after the SW prequels.

Thomas

Quote from: Shaky on June 10, 2022, 10:12:41 AMOh it's the bottom line sure, but for all these cast and crew members to spend months, years on these fucking things, at least some of them must feel it's creatively fulfilling. I mean I firmly believe that the likes of Spielberg, for all his financial nous, largely believes in and cares about what he makes (and when he doesn't, as with the likes of Indy 4, he's not shy of dropping a few hints after the fact).

Spielberg has spoken quite candidly about his disappointment with The Lost World, and with his sequel work in general, so I think you're right there.

It's probably very different for smaller directors, hired hands like Colin Trevorrow. Perhaps Spielberg's wealth, comfort, and legacy afford him the space to better reflect on his work than a smaller, less secure creator. We've seen a lot of small indie directors drafted in to deal with blockbuster franchise installments lately (and we've seen a couple of them, à la Edgar Wright, drop out over creative tensions). For Trevorrow, World might have felt like a career stepping stone, an industry homework assignment, rather than a passion project. It's no surprise to learn that he was involved in the Star Wars sequel trilogy at one time. Think of how even the Game of Thrones lads rushed their ending when Big Blockbuster Franchise Contracts appeared on the horizon.

Jurassic Park had a strong philosophical core that sets it apart from its successors (it's telling that, as the best film in the series, it's also actually the one with the least dinosaur screentime). I think the World series, meanwhile, has been little more than a cash-in to sell toys and wring every last mosquito-blood drop of profit from a legacy IP.

The studio hires a safe pair of hands to deliver the product (and that's all it is), making demands from above to second-guess what will extract the most profit from audiences (I understand that the presence of classic scaly designs, as opposed to more updated feathered dinosaurs, was a studio imposition. For all its promo, Dominion seemingly only includes two feathered dinosaurs, still the outliers rather than the main vision).

We might argue that, like Matrix Resurrections, Trevorrow actually uses the first Jurassic World to subtly satirise the circumstances and conditions of its own production. However unfortunately it's too shit to rewatch,

Dr Rock

Isn't this meant for children?

Kelvin

Geneuinely wondering where they go after this, a film set in a world populated with dinosaurs.

Hard reboot? Mutant dinosaurs? Space?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Humanity is pretty good at wiping out species. I don't reckon dinosaurs would prove that much of a problem.

I'm paying about 35 quid (including travel fare) to see this at the imax next week. I didn't expect it to be great, but it's rather annoying to hear it's an outright stinker. Then again. I have fairly low standards for this sort of thing, so I probably won't be overly disappointed by it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 10, 2022, 12:55:15 PMI'm paying about 35 quid (including travel fare) to see this at the imax next week.

Reads like something that should spark a family intervention.

Ferris

Quote from: Shaky on June 10, 2022, 10:12:41 AMOh it's the bottom line sure, but for all these cast and crew members to spend months, years on these fucking things, at least some of them must feel it's creatively fulfilling. I mean I firmly believe that the likes of Spielberg, for all his financial nous, largely believes in and cares about what he makes (and when he doesn't, as with the likes of Indy 4, he's not shy of dropping a few hints after the fact).

Perhaps I'm being ultra-naive as I can't imagine wasting years of my life on something totally creatively throw-away, whatever the pay. Maybe they just tell themselves, "Next time I'll make that deep, life-altering classic," and never get around to it, a la George Lucas and all those small, intimate films he was supposed to make after the SW prequels.

I think you'd be surprised - I've done shit work on projects because I don't care and know the minimum required.

I also think this kind of production is so huge and multi-faceted that someone working in (for example) the costume department who spent ages working their way up to lead on this project - yeah they are probably happy with it. Same for the stunt coordinators, film colourists, catering staff, etc etc etc.

Rest of the cast and crew - maybe they all think it's good, and it only becomes clear it's a total dog-egg during the final cut/edit process.

I dunno what my point is really. I don't think it's common for people to make shit films and think "yeah this one's a stinker", and I think there are organizational reasons why people may all work together and contribute far less than the sum of their respective parts.

notjosh

It's also easy to lose sight of what 'good' is when you're part of the machine. In order to do your job you have to accept that you are working within certain parameters and that any creative input you have will be filtered and distorted (or ignored) by people with whom you have nothing in common. You start to look at the output of your work as "considering the restrictions under which we're working, we've done a great job!" And after a while that can easily become "considering the restrictions under which we're working, we've done a great job!" and you're all patting each other on the back thinking it's not so bad, until it's finally exposed to the daylight of other people's opinions and you're forced to concede "hang on... this is actually shit isn't it?".

Twit 2

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Goldentony

Quote from: Kelvin on June 10, 2022, 12:42:55 PMGeneuinely wondering where they go after this, a film set in a world populated with dinosaurs.

Hard reboot? Mutant dinosaurs? Space?

dinosaurs that fuck