Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:29:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on June 03, 2022, 04:58:19 PM5-5 in this second set, and one hold of serve each. The difference in quality between this and the Djokovic match the other night is vast. Nadal might get away with having a stinker here just because of who he's playing.

Zverev should be two sets up, to be honest, but he's hurting himself as much as Nadal is.

selectivememory

Ok, much as I hate the guy that was awful to see. Looks quite serious. (Zverev falling on his ankle that is)

Edit: just watched the replay. That's a sickener.

Deanjam

Looked nasty, don't see him returning.

Deanjam

Poor Nadal, having to pretend to be sad that Zverev retired.

selectivememory

Oh well, it'll be Nadal versus a nice guy in the final, which is the outcome I was hoping for today.

Brian Freeze

Thanks for the comprehensive explanations.
What a twat.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: selectivememory on June 03, 2022, 05:46:41 PMOh well, it'll be Nadal versus a nice guy in the final, which is the outcome I was hoping for today.
Oh you think a guy who goes up to an opponent in the locker room and screams yessssss in his face is a nice guy!?

Yeah wouldn't mind either a Ruud or Cilic victory.

selectivememory

It would be hilarious if Ruud did actually do that because it seems so out of character. But Holger Rune is already getting a bit of a reputation as a brat, and I think people probably aren't taking him too seriously at the moment. I kind of like the idea that Casper did it because he knew no one would believe he'd do something like that.

Anyway, always had Ruud down as the type who'd gotten to the top 10 by having a lot of consistent results at 250 and 500 events, but that's a Masters and now a slam final he's made this year. Fair play. Big underdog against Rafa though. Shame Cilic went off the boil towards the end of that match, but it was nice seeing him go on a run again.

Menu

Can't believe how many unforced errors Cilic made. He lost that game all by himself. Bit like Trevisan yesterday.

Menu

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 03, 2022, 06:11:53 PMThanks for the comprehensive explanations.
What a twat.

You could definitely see Zverev having to control his anger at times in the match. I assume he's seeing a sports psychologist or something. Didn't want it to end like that but I've got a bet on Nadal to win the tournament, and they'd probably still be playing now if Zverev hadn't have injured himself so there are upsides.

rjd2

Quote from: Brian Freeze on June 03, 2022, 04:43:19 PMAs a non follower of the tennis, can I ask why Zverev is so unpopular?
Quote from: selectivememory on June 03, 2022, 04:52:11 PMAccused (very credibly) of some pretty serious and disturbing domestic abuse by an ex-girlfriend. Also generally comes across as a narcissistic and arrogant shit.
Still amusing Opelka, McEnroe with Isner, Kryigos and FAA discussing Zverev.

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg/status/1441759219250876419?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1441759219250876419%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.otbsports.com%2Fother-sports%2Falexander-zverev-john-mcenroe-laver-up-1256707

selectivememory

Boy, Swiatek is one of the best and most ruthless big match players I've ever seen. Her record in finals is just crazy.

So that's 35 matches in a row, which is better than Serena's longest ever winning streak, and equal to Venus's streak in 2000.

Not a terrible performance from Gauff, but again, as it was for Kasatkina, a horrible match-up for her, especially on the forehand side.

DocDaneeka

Looking good for Nadge so far.

Deanjam

Double fault to lose the second set. Yikes. Ruud started the set well and looked like he was getting in to it, but he's gone to pot. 2 sets down to Nadal in the French Open final? Not great.

selectivememory

Nothing against Ruud, but it's a shame Tsitsipas couldn't make it through his half of the draw. Just feel he'd be much more capable of giving Rafa a competitive match here.

Deanjam

Talk about just giving up. How Ruud.

selectivememory

22 and 14. Ridiculous really. Matches Sampras's entire major haul at just one event.

Lots of people predicting that he's going to retire soon, but sounds like he wants to keep going a bit longer judging by his speech. Wouldn't put it past him to take the US Open as well considering the state of the competition right now.

Deanjam

Quote from: selectivememory on June 05, 2022, 04:57:13 PM22 and 14. Ridiculous really. Matches Sampras's entire major haul at just one event.

Lots of people predicting that he's going to retire soon, but sounds like he wants to keep going a bit longer judging by his speech. Wouldn't put it past him to take the US Open as well considering the state of the competition right now.

Yeah, he's just won the Aussie and French, and there's not a whole lot of competition out there for him right now. May as well stick around as long as there's a chance you can still win majors.

Memorex MP3

Be a bit mad to retire wouldn't it? With Federer finally completely out of contention he's presumably in line for a fuckton of extra endorsement money.

Gotta be some significant money in the narrative of holding off Djokovic from the grand slam record too.

Menu

Quote from: selectivememory on June 04, 2022, 03:46:04 PMBoy, Swiatek is one of the best and most ruthless big match players I've ever seen. Her record in finals is just crazy.

So that's 35 matches in a row, which is better than Serena's longest ever winning streak, and equal to Venus's streak in 2000.

Not a terrible performance from Gauff, but again, as it was for Kasatkina, a horrible match-up for her, especially on the forehand side.

I'm really furious at Barty for depriving us of seeing them go head-to-head. We keep missing great rivalries in womens tennis. It's very frustrating.

Menu

Quote from: selectivememory on June 05, 2022, 04:03:46 PMNothing against Ruud, but it's a shame Tsitsipas couldn't make it through his half of the draw. Just feel he'd be much more capable of giving Rafa a competitive match here.

I thought Ruud would perform much better than this. I think Zverev and (a sub-par)Djokovic have this tournament shown that Nadal is beatable now. But what was the difference between the rest of Nadal's second week and this Final? Zverev's big serve? The fact it was later in the day? Was Ruud beaten before he even started the match, in a way that Djokovic wouldn't be? Hard to say.

Menu

Quote from: selectivememory on June 05, 2022, 04:57:13 PM22 and 14. Ridiculous really. Matches Sampras's entire major haul at just one event.

Isn't Wimbledon much slower than a few years ago? If he can win on a fast Australian court, is Wimbledon so unthinkable? Was talking to someone yesterday and she was saying Djokovic is nailed on for Wimbledon but I don't think Novak is playing like he's nailed on for anything right now. And no other names spring to mind for the grass season. A sneaky bet on Nadal doesn't seem stupid.

ETA: just checked. He's 9/1 lads! I got him at 6.2/1 before the French and I thought that was ridiculously long. Worth a tenner surely?

Menu

Federer is 17/1 for Wimbledon at William Hill.

Er.....

Deanjam

Quote from: Menu on June 07, 2022, 02:02:25 AMFederer is 17/1 for Wimbledon at William Hill.

Er.....

I guess his name will attract punters who don't follow tennis and are unaware of his not playing.

Menu

Quote from: Deanjam on June 07, 2022, 06:12:14 AMI guess his name will attract punters who don't follow tennis and are unaware of his not playing.

Yes the same reason why Ronnie O'Sullivan was always favourite for a tournament even if he was in terrible form.

Menu

Quote from: Menu on June 07, 2022, 02:01:52 AMETA: just checked. He's 9/1 lads! I got him at 6.2/1 before the French and I thought that was ridiculously long. Worth a tenner surely?

Just did precisely this. Anyone got a reason why I shouldn't have?

rjd2

Quote from: Menu on June 09, 2022, 12:15:41 AMJust did precisely this. Anyone got a reason why I shouldn't have?

Will he play?

If its with someone who refunds your bet all good in the hood at least.

He is always vulnerable to big hitters early but if he can avoid them and get to the second week then who knows.

He was unlucky to lose to Novak the last time he was here in a semi final.

The men's side is very weak, Novak is a worthy favorite but after that oh boy.

Alcarez has never done ought on grass and is still so young, Tsitipas has a poor grass record also, then the big hitters such as Kyrigos, FAA, Shapo and Hurkacz who have all modest slam records. Out of all them FAA probably the most likely but his betting price is poor .

Berrettini? Some effort to go close after been so long out.

Its the same with the ladies side, Osaka I don't know is even aware when Wimbledon is, Emma who is injured, Kerber, Halep , Pliskova and Kvitova all useless.

I will be betting Bencic outright, but reluctantly as its not great value at all her price 22/1 especially as she has done SFA in slams.

selectivememory

Another final for Murray, on the grass at Stuttgart. Pretty impressive results this week, and all in straight sets, which is very unlike him in recent years. Berrettini next, who while very good on grass, is the kind of one-dimensional big-serve-and-forehand player that Murray should be putting away if he's anywhere near his best.

Think he'll probably be seeded at Wimbledon if he wins tomorrow, given how many players above him in the top 30 won't be playing. After years of this comeback, it's kind of looking like he's actually made some progress.

shoulders

Yeah hope he can get a clean run at it even just to see what's possible... I'm afraid he put too much pressure on himself in front of the crowd at Wimbledon last time, that is a risk again.