Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do We Have Any Published Writers On The Forum? (2022 edition)

Started by Ray Travez, May 27, 2022, 05:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Travez

Old thread got deleted for some reason.

I've self-published a few nonfiction books now, all fairly short, all under different pen names. Currently working on a full-length book about addiction. Surprised I could write 80,000 words, and some bits read well, which I'm pleased by. I've never had much confidence as a writer.

Amazed how much work there is in arranging and refining a book of this length. It's a PITA quite frankly

pigamus

I think the problem is you sail into self-promotion territory

Small Man Big Horse

I'm going to be self-publishing my novel this year, I submitted it to a sod load of agents, and then small publishing companies that allow submissions, but got nowhere, so am working on the final draft now. I doubt it'll be read by more than about eight people, but fuck it, at least it'll finally be out there and I can move on to other things. One thing's for sure is that I'm never going to write another novel, it's taken a ridiculous amount of time as it is.

Dr Rock

letsgobrian

If you sell a DVD from 2003-2006 on Ebay and use the pre-written description from looking up the barcode, then there's a chance I wrote it.

willbo

Thriller author Andy McDermott used to post on something awful, he had a funny perspective on trying to break into the trash/airport genre and was always funny writing about it and mocking his own work

Mobbd

I've written 5 books and I'm working on a sixth. No more deets though. Prefer to keep my CaB life hermetically sealed for personal hygiene reasons.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mobbd on May 29, 2022, 12:12:35 AMI've written 5 books and I'm working on a sixth. No more deets though. Prefer to keep my CaB life hermetically sealed for personal hygiene reasons.

Hurry the fuck up, you lazy bastard

holdover

I wrote the section about Peterhead in The Idler Book of Crap Towns.  Caused a bit of family bother as that's where my mum is from.

madhair60

Mister Six

Mobbd

Quote from: madhair60 on June 03, 2022, 05:20:44 PMmy first book is being published soon :)

Congrats! I don't think it's against the rules to PM me the deets?

Mister Six

buttgammon

Great news Madhair, congratulations!

As for me, I've had professional writing published (a fairly dry and technical journal article in an extremely niche publication) but am yet to have any success with fiction.

another Mr. Lizard

I've edited or co-edited thirty or so books during the past dozen years, a mix of non-fiction/reference stuff and short horror fiction collections. Currently working on two new horror story volumes (one by my regular writers, one by under-16s); have just finished work on a reference guide to 1970s British horror movies and TV (for which I've been promised a celebrity foreword; anxiously awaiting news on that) and I was most recently published in the new version of Julian Upton's book about obscure British cinema, 'Offbeat', for which I contributed eight reviews and some additional material on short films.

JaDanketies

I did some journalism at a point and have a few newspaper articles published, and I got a short story in Bizarre. Nowadays I sometimes do PR so I get my press releases published in Gloucestershire Live or whatever.

Twonty Gostelow

I'm not usually one to boast but for the past 20 years I've definitely been thinking about writing a short story or something.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 27, 2022, 07:07:58 PMI'm going to be self-publishing my novel this year, I submitted it to a sod load of agents, and then small publishing companies that allow submissions, but got nowhere, so am working on the final draft now. I doubt it'll be read by more than about eight people, but fuck it, at least it'll finally be out there and I can move on to other things. One thing's for sure is that I'm never going to write another novel, it's taken a ridiculous amount of time as it is.

what is your novel about SMBH?

Ray Travez

Ray Travez

Quote from: holdover on June 01, 2022, 01:26:42 PMI wrote the section about Peterhead in The Idler Book of Crap Towns.  Caused a bit of family bother as that's where my mum is from.

I've got that upstairs, I'll dig it out.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ray Travez on June 16, 2022, 01:58:03 AMwhat is your novel about SMBH?

Essentially it's about a depressed and suicidal thirtysomething who discovers that magic is real, and for the first year has the best of times being a daft if often thoughtless idiot, but all good things must come to an end when he learns that those in power want to kill anyone with such abilities. There's a good few twists and turns after that, and the first half is meant to be funny, while the second half sees it change genre in to a horror novel.

Ray Travez

I like the sound of that, something innocent that turns dark.

Mister Six

I'll buy a copy, sounds right up my street.

Christ, I'll proofread it if you want.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Ray Travez on June 16, 2022, 01:58:37 AMWhat was your letter to Smash Hits about, Dr Rock?

I think I still have it, I'll find it and post it.

Dr Rock

Easier than I thought as all Smash Hits are archived on the internet. This is from July 1985, the one with Howard Jones on the cover. For context, Black Type (Tom Hibbert) who replies to all the letters, was always venerating Bagpuss. If some of it doesn't scan properly it's because they edited it down a bit. If it's not funny it's because I was 15.

Now I want to quickly admit that I suspect I nicked this analogy, but I've no idea where from. If anyone can place it pre-1985 that'd be super. The internet says this theory now abounds, and I remember Adam and Joe referencing it, but did I start it? I don't think so, but my memory is like a soggy paper bag.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ray Travez on June 16, 2022, 10:19:59 PMI like the sound of that, something innocent that turns dark.

Thanks for that, I've always liked films and books which change genre all of a sudden, but it's a weird old mix so I can understand why some might not like it.

Quote from: Mister Six on June 16, 2022, 11:04:13 PMI'll buy a copy, sounds right up my street.

Christ, I'll proofread it if you want.

That's a really kind offer, thank you. I'm still working on the final draft (as work has suddenly got weirdly busy, despite the opposite normally applying in the summer), but I determined to finish it by the end of August so will get in touch then.

Thomas

Nice one, SMBH, well done for getting through it - an uphill behemoth of a challenge.

I've been writing short stories for a few years now, and I've just had one published in a journal stocked at times by Waterstones, the London Review Bookshop, and even that jaunty Shakespeare bookshop in Paris. Things are moving increasingly and sensibly online, but it's nice to have a physical relic.

Been chipping at an incomplete novel for about six years, but I think I've only recently achieved a basic 'Good Enough at Writing' standard to put some actual life into it. Every couple of months I'll think of a nice word to add to a sentence that's been gathering dust since 2017. I recently read Will Storr's The Science of Storytelling and got a bit better overnight (I recommend to all).

Mister Six

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 17, 2022, 11:23:22 AMThat's a really kind offer, thank you. I'm still working on the final draft (as work has suddenly got weirdly busy, despite the opposite normally applying in the summer), but I determined to finish it by the end of August so will get in touch then.

Sure, drop me a DM (but probably remind me in here too).