Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vegan stuff you recently tried

Started by gib, August 27, 2021, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

The No Chicken Royale is also very good, if you could consider a burger king chicken sandwich very good in the first placem

Jockice

Quote from: bgmnts on September 09, 2021, 03:43:17 PM
Thoughts?

Nice. I did have cheese on it though, which I do feel slightly guilty about, not that I'm a total vegan but I try to avoid animal products as much as possible.But I'd asked for it with no relish, as I can't bear stuff like that, or indeed mayonnaise, and the burger would be a bit dry without something on it. Maybe I could have suggested they got some vegan cheese. I probably will on my next visit.

Swedish fish mini, I'm making sure I mention that they were the mini ones because I haven't had the big ones and sometimes they're very different with the consistency and stuff aren't they? Like you'll get some big fuck off cola bottles and they're all sticky and more chewy or whatever.

These won't trouble your fillings and they're really nice.

They're not cheap and they're rare in these parts of the world, I think, but if you see some on your travels, they're worth a go!
My nephew spied them at the metro centre and I got him some and he was handing them out in the car and we were all like "fuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

mothman

After years of turning her nose up at my Spag Bol, TeenMoth has now decided she likes it - if it's made with Quorn mince. I'm having a paternity test done.

Cloud

Aldi falafel and houmous wraps - pretty darn good.  A fine solid alternative to Huel.

gib

Have you tried their pasties from the freezer section? As long as you like white pepper they are very good.

Jock Macabre

I'm not vegan to be honest, but I did try shoehorning my dietary preferences into any conversation I happened to get into for a while.

Cloud

Asda's  Plant Based Hoisin Duckless Wrap - yeah the fake duck is pretty good, I'm impressed.  I probably wouldn't have known if someone tried to pass it off as real duck.

Sebastian Cobb

Recently discovered tins of this Tamtad stuff in the Middle Eastern grocers.

Obviously the fresh versions are nicer but for tinned they're bloody nice especially if you add a little lemon. So far I've had:
Stuffed Vine Leaves
Stuffed Cabbage
Stuffed Courgettes
Stuffed Aubergine

The vine leaves and cabbage things are pretty generous and can go at least a couple of lunches (there's 3 layers of 4 or 5 stuffed things in each layer), but the courgettes/aubergine are bigger and you get fewer for your buck. They're all excellent value though, at around £1.50 a tin.

bgmnts

Vine leaves look so much like poo it is hard to eat.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't want to sully the vegan thread with meat chat but if you've ever eaten a seekh kebab in your life you should be immune to that.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2022, 01:48:36 PMI don't want to sully the vegan thread with meat chat but if you've ever eaten a seekh kebab in your life you should be immune to that.

To be fair, seitan can be quite poo-like

flotemysost

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 22, 2022, 01:04:34 PMRecently discovered tins of this Tamtad stuff in the Middle Eastern grocers.

Obviously the fresh versions are nicer but for tinned they're bloody nice especially if you add a little lemon. So far I've had:
Stuffed Vine Leaves
Stuffed Cabbage
Stuffed Courgettes
Stuffed Aubergine

The vine leaves and cabbage things are pretty generous and can go at least a couple of lunches (there's 3 layers of 4 or 5 stuffed things in each layer), but the courgettes/aubergine are bigger and you get fewer for your buck. They're all excellent value though, at around £1.50 a tin.

Aww yes, dolmades are absolute babes. Used to be my go-to 4am drunken sustenance of choice from the bountiful 24-hour Mediterranean supermarkets when I lived in North East London.

Been getting into kimchi in quite a big way lately. I normally get it from one of the Asian supermarkets near me, though I've noticed a few UK chain supermarkets are selling Vadasz Raw Kimchi (which is nice enough, if a bit dry/mild - personally I like the luminous red spicy oil slick you get with Asian brands). I've mainly incorporated it into very unhealthy non-vegan things (macaroni cheese, scrambled eggs, cheese toasties) but it's also an easy way to lazily zhuzh up a stir fry.

If I can be arsed, which will be never, I'd be interested to try making it from scratch, though I've heard if you get it wrong you can die :(

Sebastian Cobb

I don't know what kimchi is, but I know I like it because the kimchi ramen I've got from the East-Asian grocers I go to seems nicer (quite like Buldak as a brand). I also know from that video of Ramsay ruining a cheese toastie it looks a lot like dried fried onions (always end up eating a few handfuls of them when I lob them in something I'm cooking).

Also since posting that I had my first duff Tamtad entry, it was the stuffed peppers (which obviously sound nice) but the sauce they were in was quite tart and I didn't like them, I did try adding a bit of lemon juice but the improvement was minimal :(

flotemysost

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 23, 2022, 11:48:42 PMI don't know what kimchi is

Korean fermented cabbage (and I think normally bits of other vegetables, like carrot or radish) in a spicy garlicky sort of marinade. I won't pretend I haven't also scarfed this straight out the jar after a night out on occasion.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: flotemysost on June 23, 2022, 11:57:07 PMKorean fermented cabbage (and I think normally bits of other vegetables, like carrot or radish) in a spicy garlicky sort of marinade. I won't pretend I haven't also scarfed this straight out the jar after a night out on occasion.

Ahh right, I think I've seen/known people to do that in vented mason jars, never really put two and two together and have mostly seen it mentioned in dry cheap stuff I've picked up and seen in dried form. Might have a bash at it myself at some point then. I've got some jars I took the gaskets off to wash and promptly managed to lose that are doing nothing so why not?

Pink Gregory

Well I've been eating the one that I made for a few weeks and I'm not dead yet [citation needed]

you will want to get yourself some gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), I think that's fairly important.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 24, 2022, 08:02:03 AMWell I've been eating the one that I made for a few weeks and I'm not dead yet [citation needed]

you will want to get yourself some gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes), I think that's fairly important.

Gochujang (red chili and soy bean paste) is also essential. I eat kimchi almost daily. It's truly the best form of cabbage based fermented grub

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 24, 2022, 08:02:03 AMWell I've been eating the one that I made for a few weeks and I'm not dead yet [citation needed]

Will look into it, ta. I think I can get them.

JaDanketies

We love a bit of Kimchi and we've even got gochugaru, fiancee lived in Korea for a time.

I ain't reading the whole thread right now so sorry if duplicates

We yesterday had Birdseye Fishless Battered Fillets, they were nice. Birdseye have loads of quality stuff out there nowadays.

We get stuff from VFC too; I like their social media activity  just like I like their food

Fr.Bigley

You ever had birds eye potato waffles? They're wonderfully versatile.

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 24, 2022, 10:29:39 AMYou ever had birds eye potato waffles? They're wonderfully versatile.

Do they go with beans?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: The Ombudsman on June 24, 2022, 10:36:43 AMDo they go with beans?

Never heard of that before, might work I suppose.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on June 24, 2022, 10:29:39 AMYou ever had birds eye potato waffles? They're wonderfully versatile.

I don't think they're as good as the budget supermarket ones tbh, they've got too much going on. The skin has some other taste to it that makes them less versatile

The Mollusk

@flotemysost if you have the time, I recommend you get yourself down an Asian supermarket, pick up the necessary bits and make this:

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipe/kimchi-miso-hotpot-recipe

It's an absolute belter.

bgmnts

Kimchi and miso? I would be farting out the entirety of the imperial march after that.

flotemysost

Quote from: The Mollusk on June 26, 2022, 10:49:49 AM@flotemysost if you have the time, I recommend you get yourself down an Asian supermarket, pick up the necessary bits and make this:

https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/recipe/kimchi-miso-hotpot-recipe

It's an absolute belter.

Well that looks fit as fuck, thanks for the rec!

Dex Sawash

Des Wigwam

One of my dogs tried an Aldi vegan salted caramel bar at the weekend. Unfortunately they have raisins in so I it also cost me £186 quid for a shot of Emedog and some activated charcoal. Would recommend the bars although they're only worth at most a couple of quid a packet. The chocolate ones are not as nice.

beanheadmcginty

Actually, I think you'll find that they are waffly versatile.