Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greybum Muchtransanger - the continuing TERFery of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, June 03, 2022, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: somersetchris on June 23, 2022, 11:33:41 PMI'm not terminally online, but most of what I have seen on social media has been 'look at all the scary men in black terrorising the poor women, and look you can see their penises', and very little from the other side except one article calling them 'so called feminists' from one of the local news outlets. I haven't seen any coverage of counter-protestors that weren't men in black, which is different from Manchester (not saying there weren't other people present, but the photos I have seen have all been from the terf side)

From what I have seen, it looks like good PR for the terfs on this one. People will see the coverage and think that women's rights campaigners are being terrorised by scary Antifa. That was how it was covered in the media as well.

I haven't seen any media reporting, where is it being reported? When you talk about what you've seen on social media what are the sources? Cheers.

George Oscar Bluth II

Did we ever find out where Graham went on holiday? Need to check the stats and see if Crete or wherever has been 'peaked' by his mere presence.

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 23, 2022, 10:57:53 AM

"In 2015 she had discovered that no questioning of gender identity was allowed"

Absolutely right, not allowed except in The Guardian, The Times, The Telegraph, the Daily Mail, The Economist, BBC Radio 4, The Atlantic, The Spectator, The New Statesman, Substack...

phes

"Now she's freed from academia"

Reached the better colleagues stage in her career

g0m

Bad Ambassador

Stigdu

Genuine question around trans people, as I am uninformed and not very knowledgeable about these things.

I read a story this morning about Elliot Page and how his story is being treated in the TV show The Umbrella Academy (which I haven't seen).

I understand that if I'm to talk about him now, I could use the 'he/him' pronoun such as "He's really good in The Umbrella Academy." But if I want to refer to them pre-transition, would I say "He was really good in X-Men 2" ? Or "She was really good" or "They were really good"? Or is down to the particular individual's preference?

Thanks!

phantom_power

I think in generally it is best to stick with "he" because even if they were presenting as a woman they likely felt they were a trans man. I think the main thing though is to be respectful and use the pronouns people prefer to use, or the ones they currently use if you aren't sure

JaDanketies

Yeah, when you're talking about someone you talk about them in the respectful way, and as if you were talking about them in the present tense until you clearly state otherwise. "Caitlyn Jenner - she's a bit of a shithead, but once she won a medal."

You wouldn't say "Caitlyn Jenner - she's a shit, but he won a medal once." Because the person to whom you're referring is a she. Doesn't matter what they was. I guess our brain thinks all sentences start off in the perfect present tense

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: g0m on June 24, 2022, 08:13:43 AMisn't baldness in men highly correlated with high testosterone levels
god it's almost as if hormones affect secondary sex characteristics and taking a course of hormones similar to that coursing through the bloodstream of the opposite biological sex can bring about physical changes in an adult, or something

ps on famous people who have transitioned, use the pronouns they prefer now. Everyone knows they've transitioned, nobody will be confused.

Ex_GC

I have the worst case of second hand embarrassment I have ever had after watching the JK Rowling prank video

EOLAN

Why do so many of the notorious transphobes share names with mildly famous celebrities that I really like.

Spent a good bit of time worried that Matt Walsh (Veep, Ted + other comedy shows/podcasts) and Parker Posey (Canadian actress and director) weren't leading elements of the transphobic community.

Mindy Simmons

Had to boot someone I really liked off my Instagram friends list because she's fallen for all the TERF crap, and she was ranting about how inclusive language is dehumanising.

I just...look, I have a few other friends (including people I know outside the Internet, in the big outside place you may have heard about) who learn TERFish, but we just don't talk about it. We don't agree, and that's fine. The minute you start screaming in my (internet) that including trans people is dehumanising (amazing mental gymnastics there by the way) then we're done.

And to keep this mildly on top: when my health is better, I will be producing a the Graham Linehan song. With apologies to Victoria Wood for ruining her classic.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Mindy Simmons on June 24, 2022, 12:13:15 PMHad to boot someone I really liked off my Instagram friends list because she's fallen for all the TERF crap, and she was ranting about how inclusive language is dehumanising.

I just...look, I have a few other friends (including people I know outside the Internet, in the big outside place you may have heard about) who learn TERFish, but we just don't talk about it. We don't agree, and that's fine. The minute you start screaming in my (internet) that including trans people is dehumanising (amazing mental gymnastics there by the way) then we're done.

I have this quandary too. A good friend of mine and his missus follow B1rdy R0se on Instagram and Facebook and I am concerned as to the implications of this. They have never said anything to me (or on the socials, as far as I am aware) about this and I am loathe to raise it as a subject cos, well, y'know.

I've been thinking I need to treat this situation in the same way as I did with my Dad's politics, which were diametrically opposed to mine - in the end it got exhausting arguing about politics, so we just stopped discussing it. I can't help thinking that this is the wrong approach though.

Ex_GC

I don't know if following one person is an alarm bell in itself- it's only when their follow list is the who's who of TERFs that is cause for alarm IMO

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 24, 2022, 12:23:42 PMI have this quandary too. A good friend of mine and his missus follow B1rdy R0se on Instagram and Facebook and I am concerned as to the implications of this.

Maybe they're just big fans of art.

Pimhole

Quote from: Ex_GC on June 24, 2022, 11:51:05 AMI have the worst case of second hand embarrassment I have ever had after watching the JK Rowling prank video

It's so sad what happens to her face whenever she tries to laugh or smile.

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 24, 2022, 12:23:42 PMA good friend of mine and his missus follow B1rdy R0se on Instagram and Facebook

This video of the famous artist talking about boners is......interesting.

⚠️WARNING⚠️

Contains an excessive amount of jump cuts.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 24, 2022, 01:01:45 PMThis video of the famous artist talking about boners is......interesting.

⚠️WARNING⚠️

Contains an excessive amount of jump cuts.

I've seen the vid about trans women in sport on her website. That's more than enough.

hexa

Quote from: g0m on June 24, 2022, 08:13:43 AMisn't baldness in men highly correlated with high testosterone levels

Kinda, but it's really when any testosterone is converted into DHT(?).

The same medication used for treating baldness is also used to lower (but not block) testosterone in trans women and... that can cause things like breast development in cis guys, introducing them to the fun world of dysphoria.

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 24, 2022, 01:01:45 PM

Take a shot every time she says "women".

tomasrojo

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but an attempt to carry over the "debate" to Ireland is getting cold water poured on it by the Taoiseach.

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1540294044886212608

"I watched it in the UK, and we certainly don't need that type of debate in Ireland... Acceptance is the key for trans persons, and I think we need a debate that creates a space for understanding."

"Some of it is very superficial I sense, at times, and it's plucking one aspect or one manifestation of it and turning it into a big... toxic sort of discussion, which I've no time for, and we don't need that."

Quote from: tomasrojo on June 24, 2022, 01:26:31 PMNot sure if it's been mentioned, but an attempt to carry over the "debate" to Ireland is getting cold water poured on it by the Taoiseach.

https://twitter.com/RobOHanrahan/status/1540294044886212608

"I watched it in the UK, and we certainly don't need that type of debate in Ireland... Acceptance is the key for trans persons, and I think we need a debate that creates a space for understanding."

"Some of it is very superficial I sense, at times, and it's plucking one aspect or one manifestation of it and turning it into a big... toxic sort of discussion, which I've no time for, and we don't need that."
Fuck yes

Quote from: Jake Thingray on June 24, 2022, 01:06:17 AMHope this post isn't too off topic, or unwittingly covering subjects previously discussed on the Glinner threads. A friend of mine who'll be seventy next year, and suffered abuse in the 1960's at the Christian Brothers Schools, to the extent that he and other former pupils ended up banding together and suing the Irish government, was amazed when I told him about Linehan's obsession and narrow-mindedness. Perhaps it's a reflection of his age and being out of touch with the modern day, but he couldn't understand how someone who, in his view, could satirise the Catholic Church so well in Father Ted could practice bigotry of the same type.

Admittedly I had to point out FT was nearly 30 years ago, and had to explain beforehand who Linehan is (he'd never heard of The IT Crowd or Motherland either). Privately, it's understandable that he may have inflated how savage FT was towards the Church.
I was thinking about this last night, and Father Ted doesn't really satirise the Catholic Church exactly. It does in the sense that you have three priests who've been banished to an island for embezzling money, being so monumentally thick that they caused a disaster to befall a group of nuns, and chronic alcoholism. Beyond "LOL here's three members of a respectable vocation but they're flawed and shitty", there's stuff with Bishop Brennan having a secret son (based on a real life incident) and taking baths with naked women. It makes fun of Irish Catholicism more than the Catholic Church itself (the obsequiousness of John and Mary towards Ted, the Lent episode) and there's some stuff poking fun at rural Ireland generally (though in my opinion D'Unbelievables did that better). Mostly though it's part workplace comedy, part "we're stuck in this situation" comedy, and I think that's fine. It seemed more transgressive than it was because in the mid-nineties the Catholic Church and the local priest were still held in high regard by the majority of Irish people.

tomasrojo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 24, 2022, 01:55:35 PMI was thinking about this last night, and Father Ted doesn't really satirise the Catholic Church exactly. It does in the sense that you have three priests who've been banished to an island for embezzling money, being so monumentally thick that they caused a disaster to befall a group of nuns, and chronic alcoholism. Beyond "LOL here's three members of a respectable vocation but they're flawed and shitty", there's stuff with Bishop Brennan having a secret son (based on a real life incident) and taking baths with naked women. It makes fun of Irish Catholicism more than the Catholic Church itself (the obsequiousness of John and Mary towards Ted, the Lent episode) and there's some stuff poking fun at rural Ireland generally (though in my opinion D'Unbelievables did that better). Mostly though it's part workplace comedy, part "we're stuck in this situation" comedy, and I think that's fine. It seemed more transgressive than it was because in the mid-nineties the Catholic Church and the local priest were still held in high regard by the majority of Irish people.

There was a bit of lampooning the Catholic Church in Ireland before Father Ted anyway, including on RTÉ. I think it was the affectionate referencing of very recognisably and specifically non-stage-Irish Irish things (including aspects of the Irish version of Catholicism, such as Matt Talbot/Mattie Hislop) that endeared it to Irish audiences.

I also suspect that Linehan's contribution was more on episode structure and music/cinema references, and the specifically Irish stuff was Mathews. Mathews said that Linehan had almost no interest in Irish culture generally; spent a lot of time alone at home listening to American music and watching movies.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 24, 2022, 12:23:42 PMI have this quandary too. A good friend of mine and his missus follow B1rdy R0se on Instagram and Facebook and I am concerned as to the implications of this. They have never said anything to me (or on the socials, as far as I am aware) about this and I am loathe to raise it as a subject cos, well, y'know.

I've been thinking I need to treat this situation in the same way as I did with my Dad's politics, which were diametrically opposed to mine - in the end it got exhausting arguing about politics, so we just stopped discussing it. I can't help thinking that this is the wrong approach though.

I know I have friends and family friends who have terfy views not people I see regularly irl but I've seen them post stuff on FB. The way I treat it is that every time I see them post something anti trans I'll post something trans positive but not directly to them as I feel calling them out publicly could just make them get defensive, my thinking is that the algorithm should push it to them given it is related and they'll hopefully respect me enough to give it a read.
I post trans positive stuff in general too not only as a reaction but I've had trans friends thank me for being so vocal so even if the terfy friends don't read it it at least helps my other friends feel supported.

Juan K Perros

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 14, 2022, 07:39:19 PMJk_rowling retweeting someone's very graphic account of their bad gender reassignment surgery experience like it's the most normal thing in the world

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1536664379881660417?t=9kXCgfwTgIJ7eKy076L-bA&s=19

So after she did this the Daily Mail picked on the story because

leading the poor chap to get absolutely destroyed in the comments

which then spilled onto twitter and has led to him deactivating his account.

Well done Jo 👏

Ex_GC

I'm still in disbelief about the prank. She really thought the president of a war torn country would be having a zoom call to discuss whether Dumbledore is gay or not?!

And that he would be asking what gender Boris Johnson is? How embarrassing for her