Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GC Rowling's Battlefield TERF, part 2: Fantastic Wheeshts and Where to Find Them

Started by Mister Six, April 14, 2022, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think Mister Six knows what they're signing up for there, it sounds like a herculean task, and possibly something that might be a bit less effort is compiling a locked FAQ given these explanations will probably tread the same ground? Or start with answering then compile it into that when you notice the repetition.

Barry Admin

Quote from: jobotic on June 20, 2022, 12:29:50 PMWorth checking if they post in threads about any comedians other than transphobic ones.

Worth giving some new posters the benefit of the doubt so this community doesn't die.

Look at how we're still on this issue. We troll ourselves.

QuoteStigdu: last post June 16, 2022, 12:00:12 AM

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 20, 2022, 12:31:38 PMI don't think Mister Six knows what they're signing up for there, it sounds like a herculean task, and possibly something that might be a bit less effort is compiling a locked FAQ given these explanations will probably tread the same ground? Or start with answering then compile it into that when you notice the repetition.
There are various FAQs and glossaries already online, e.g. at Stonewall, Cambridge Student Union. It might be simpler to include a link to them (e.g. from start of each Glinner thread).

Mister Six

Quote from: Pimhole on June 20, 2022, 12:26:33 PMI mean, they could just read the full threads.

They could, but I understand not wanting to have to wade through 114 pages of blabber in the hope that what you want to know will be in there (and honestly, I don't know if terms like TERF and GC are even explained in the Rowling threads). And it would be a shame to scare off someone who genuinely doesn't understand/hasn't heard of all this arcane shite, to the extent that they also don't know about concern troll pricks "just asking questions".

If they genuinely want to know, they can ask me for information and I'll do my best to explain. If they just want to "trigger the showflakes" or whatever, they probably won't want to do it in private messages to a cis guy.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 20, 2022, 12:31:38 PMI don't think Mister Six knows what they're signing up for there, it sounds like a herculean task, and possibly something that might be a bit less effort is compiling a locked FAQ given these explanations will probably tread the same ground? Or start with answering then compile it into that when you notice the repetition.

We don't have that many people doing this on CaB, I think it'll be fine (and yeah, I can always copy/paste from old replies if there is an influx of people).

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on June 20, 2022, 12:53:44 PMThere are various FAQs and glossaries already online, e.g. at Stonewall, Cambridge Student Union. It might be simpler to include a link to them (e.g. from start of each Glinner thread).

But this is a good idea. I'll send to @Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

QDRPHNC

I don't know if stigdu was a troll, but my problem with them in both the Gervais and Glinner threads is that they basically did the equivalent of going on like, a forum for people who love cooking going, "I really like McDonalds actually." And then when asked (sincerely) why, going "I don't know I just like how it tastes. Is that a crime around here or something?" and then getting all arsey when nobody could be bothered to engage with them after that.

Captain Z

Ferris has already fairly accurately described the approach I take to these situations. If someone arrives here and immediately takes a stance against the consensus in one of the CAB hot-topics then I'll probably just give them the benefit of doubt or quietly ignore. If I see them doing it in two topics they're definitely going on ignore. If I see them doing the same shtick in three topics (Gervais, GC and Royal family) I feel it's probably time to warn others not to waste their energy.

Ferris

It also maintains the benefit of the doubt approach because I don't engage (or even have a "YOUR BLOCKED!!" post). Quiet BAMO.

Maybe I'll keep see them crop up in other threads and read their stuff. If it's halfway interesting and they just took a bit of time to adapt to the place, fair enough I take them off block without mentioning it and everyone's happy.

Engaging beyond your BAMO is verboten for me and it makes life easier. Other courses of action are available.

somersetchris

Quote from: phantom_power on June 20, 2022, 09:37:29 AMThe logical extension to "win at any cost" is to be slightly better than the opposition rather than striving for anything better. To give people what they think they want, not what they might actually need. To pander to the fear and hate spread by the press rather than inspire hope and solidarity

Also, I don't think Democrats, or Labour, or even "hard" left people, elevate these causes. They just respond when people act like cunts to minorities

I think the interviewer was setting out a false position to begin with. They claimed that the Democrats are losing votes because they are essentially, pandering to trans people.

Did I miss something? When did they ever do that?

mjwilson

Lots of tweets claiming that Emma Watson has said she would return to Harry Potter only if JKR weren't involved. This seems to come from a site called giantfreakinrobot and their "trusted sources", although it's not really clear that there is a Harry Potter film even under consideration.

Dr Rock

phantom_power

They really are going all out for her, calling her a misogynist and anti-feminist brat, and how she would be nothing without the sainted JK, and how she has said nothing about Ezra Miller. If you look at the article, there are no direct quotes from her, only a "trusted source" claiming that she has said this. They really will believe any old shit that confirms their prejudices.

Kankurette

Why is Watson supposed to give her hot takes on Ezra Miller? Is she mates with them?

Dr Rock

tbf it's hard to know what to say about Ezra Miller. They're doing crazy stuff, and worse is coming out every day. On the other hand it seems like they've lost their grip on reality.

Barry Admin

Quote from: rack and peanut on June 26, 2022, 09:19:18 AMhttps://twitter.com/joss_prior/status/1540695685091102722?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

QuoteMISSING PERSON!

JK Rowling.

Hasnt been heard of since before the Roe vs Wade decision, and being such a stalwart and steadfast supporter of womens rights, along with her anti-abortion friend Baroness Nicholson, she would clearly have a lot to say right now, where is she???

Martin Van Buren Stan

I get the point being made but it's so badly expressed. There are hundreds of millions of women having their rights abused all over the world, can anyone be reasonably expected to condemn every instance of misogyny? It's just a terrible use of logic "if you don't condemn everything you don't care about anything".

phantom_power

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 26, 2022, 10:34:20 AMI get the point being made but it's so badly expressed. There are hundreds of millions of women having their rights abused all over the world, can anyone be reasonably expected to condemn every instance of misogyny? It's just a terrible use of logic "if you don't condemn everything you don't care about anything".

Every instance of misogyny? It is a bit more than just some instance of misogyny. It is a fundamental attack on all women in America.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on June 26, 2022, 10:34:20 AMI get the point being made but it's so badly expressed. There are hundreds of millions of women having their rights abused all over the world, can anyone be reasonably expected to condemn every instance of misogyny? It's just a terrible use of logic "if you don't condemn everything you don't care about anything".

JK has plenty to say when she has a chance to demonise trans women, but nothing to say about Roe vs Wade. 

Your argument is daft as it completely downplays what a huge deal the Roe vs Wade decision was, for millions of women.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 26, 2022, 10:46:34 AMJK has plenty to say when she has a chance to demonise trans women
Yeah. That's what I meant when I said I get the point of the tweet.

QuoteYour argument is daft as it completely downplays what a huge deal the Roe vs Wade decision was, for millions of women.

No it doesn't. I wasn't making a point about Roe vs Wade at all. I was, as I said, attacking the terrible logic underlying Prior's gotcha, nothing to do with the specifics of Roe.

I've never heard of Joss Prior, having nothing against her, but I just looked for tweets of hers specifically condemning the Taliban's take over of Afghanistan. Couldn't find any. Ditto women's rights abuses in Nigeria.  Does that mean she doesn't care about women's rights?

GoblinAhFuckScary

i do actually think using roe v wade to dunk on rowling is a bit lazy

Kankurette

It is, but when JKR is setting herself up as the Number 1 Defender of Women's Rights, you'd expect her to say something. Also, her supporters' logic is so ridiculous.
 - JKR can't be expected to talk about Roe because she isn't American and it doesn't affect her.  This is in spite of the fact that Roe vs Wade being overturned is one of the worst things to happen to women in decades, it's a huge step back, and it's happening in one of the world's most powerful countries.
 - JKR is, however, allowed to talk about Lia Thomas despite not being American or a swimmer, because trans women pushing cis women out of women's sports is a global issue. Oddly, I don't recall JKR ever tweeting, say, about abuse of female gymnasts by coaches, or anything in support of the England women's football team. Maybe she has, IDK. But Roe vs Wade is going to affect far more cis women than the tiny handful of trans athletes.
 - Emma Watson is expected to have an opinion on Ezra Miller. JKR is not despite having worked with them.

And by their logic, I can't be angry about the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan, or leblouh in Mauritania, or Palestinian women being forced to give birth at checkpoints, because I'm English and none of these things affect me.