Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2022

Started by selectivememory, January 04, 2022, 12:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Andy's had a couple of good runs at 250 events over the past year or so, but his big problem is majors being best of 5. Physically I just don't think he's up to having deep runs there anymore. His best chance is Wimbledon as there are very few players comfortable on grass like he is. I'd be amazed if he made the second week though.

selectivememory

Good match until Murray got injured. Was just about managing to roll his serves in towards the end of the match, but definitely wasn't going to be enough to get edge out Berrettini. Hopefully he'll be alright for Wimbledon.

Menu

Quote from: rjd2 on June 10, 2022, 01:24:52 AMWill he play?

If its with someone who refunds your bet all good in the hood at least.

He is always vulnerable to big hitters early but if he can avoid them and get to the second week then who knows.

He was unlucky to lose to Novak the last time he was here in a semi final.

The men's side is very weak, Novak is a worthy favorite but after that oh boy.

Alcarez has never done ought on grass and is still so young, Tsitipas has a poor grass record also, then the big hitters such as Kyrigos, FAA, Shapo and Hurkacz who have all modest slam records. Out of all them FAA probably the most likely but his betting price is poor .

Berrettini? Some effort to go close after been so long out.

Its the same with the ladies side, Osaka I don't know is even aware when Wimbledon is, Emma who is injured, Kerber, Halep , Pliskova and Kvitova all useless.

I will be betting Bencic outright, but reluctantly as its not great value at all her price 22/1 especially as she has done SFA in slams.

You've articulated it better than me. It's so open that putting a small amount on Nadal, even with the possibility of him not appearing, seems good sense at 9/1. You didn't mention Swiatek in the women? Surely she's favourite just because everyone else seems miles behind, regardless of surface. Bencic strikes me as the sort of player who never wins a major. A bit like Pliskova. Never convincing on this stage.

I thought Osaka's comments on Wimbledon were really disrespectful. Especially as she's been really poor whenever she's played there.

rjd2

Quote from: Menu on June 14, 2022, 01:45:41 AMYou've articulated it better than me. It's so open that putting a small amount on Nadal, even with the possibility of him not appearing, seems good sense at 9/1. You didn't mention Swiatek in the women? Surely she's favourite just because everyone else seems miles behind, regardless of surface. Bencic strikes me as the sort of player who never wins a major. A bit like Pliskova. Never convincing on this stage.

I thought Osaka's comments on Wimbledon were really disrespectful. Especially as she's been really poor whenever she's played there.

Hard to know with Iga isn't it?

Did little of note at Wimbledon last year but someone as good as that will figure it out very quickly.

I assume she plays Eastbourne next week which will tell us plenty.

Looking at the ladies yeah she deserves to be fav and then Coco and then maybe Jabeur, after that who the hell knows.

Their are 2 good events this week in the UK and Germany with plenty of big names, so maybe someone will get hot their.

shoulders

Hopefully Djokovic out in first round and nice open tournament with a new champion.

Menu

Berretini looking ok. I'm never that convinced by him though. Maybe this is his year.

selectivememory

Quote from: Menu on June 15, 2022, 02:13:05 AMBerretini looking ok. I'm never that convinced by him though. Maybe this is his year.

I dunno, I think he's very solid and reliable, and would back him to win it or go close if Djokovic and Nadal lose early. Always beats who he's supposed to beat, and mostly only tends to lose to better players than himself - especially in the majors. 20-1 on grass now in the last two seasons, with that one defeat being the Wimbledon final to Djokovic last year. As good a pick as anyone outside of the obvious two.

Mind you, probably more impressed with Hurkacz's title run in Halle this week against a much stronger field than in Queens. Semis at Wimbledon last year, no reason he can't go deep again with a decent draw.

Good to see Jabeur winning another title. Praying she doesn't flop like she did at Roland Garros, because I feel like she should be able to win it, or at least go close.

rjd2

Hurkacz and Berretini should go far at Wimbledon, but obviously unsure if either can beat Novak and even Nadal who if he avoids the bombers early on will be formidable in week 2.

Maia won another event , she has a lovely grass game so it would be nice to see her do well at Wimbledon, but wouldn't be shocked if she flopped as players getting hot before a slam and then underwhelming is a tale as old as time sadly.

AVT beat grass beast erm Errani in the other ladies event, AVT along with Riske, Zheng is a lass who must be tempted not to bother with tennis the other 49 weeks of the year.

selectivememory

Petra and Penko both hitting a bit of form in Eastbourne is nice to see. Penko especially has looked incredibly good. Probably means she flops out of Wimbledon first round, but I can dream that she might go on a run there.

rjd2

Quote from: selectivememory on June 24, 2022, 02:41:56 PMPetra and Penko both hitting a bit of form in Eastbourne is nice to see. Penko especially has looked incredibly good. Probably means she flops out of Wimbledon first round, but I can dream that she might go on a run there.

Nailing Eastbourne generally means you implode early in Wimbledon sadly. 

Not looked to much at the ladies side , but Emma getting AVT 1st round is brutal , bookies have Emma as outsider which makes sense sadly.

On the men's side, Novak's quarter looks weak unless Alcarez turns into a grass beast over night and likely will face Hurkacz in the semi final while the other side does look trickier but Berrettini should come through in one side to get to a semi.

rjd2

FAA/ Cressy and Muchova/Halep look like fun 1st rounders.

selectivememory

Quote from: rjd2 on June 25, 2022, 04:16:14 PMFAA/ Cressy and Muchova/Halep look like fun 1st rounders.

Muchova is great. Shame she's always getting injured. Got such a nice game though. Definitely the match I'm most looking forward to in the first round.

And yeah, that's a rough draw for Felix, who should be going deep at this event. Cressy's serve-and-volley game looks especially dangerous on the grass.

Crenners

Not sure what it is but I really don't like Raducanu

Anyone know what I mean?

They seem like a dickhead

selectivememory

I dunno. I think she's had some serious media training, so it's hard to know what she's like as a person. She seemed a lot more natural and unfiltered in press during her US Open run than she does now. I have heard talk that her dad might not be the greatest influence behind the scenes. Sounds like he's quite controlling and overbearing.

I do enjoy watching her play tennis though and hope she can come through this weird period of her career relatively unscathed. I'm not sure there's any precedent for a player on their first full year on the tour being under this much scrutiny. Must be a lot to deal with.

selectivememory

Didn't realise that Hubi had Davidovich Fokina in the first round. That's a nasty draw, and he's two sets down. I like Fokina, but I wanted to see Hurkacz do well here.

At least Ons got through her first match without much trouble.

rjd2

Emma seems harmless to be honest. I don't recall her ever saying anything to controversial and all the marketing stuff outside the court,,,that's to be expected she is commercial dream.

Hurkacz looks uncomfortable here, I don't want him out as this side looks weak without him.

selectivememory

Not watched much of Van Uytvanck before, but she's got a lovely game for the grass. Gonna be tough for Emma today.

Looks like Hubi's going to be ok. Davidovich Fokina was coasting in the third set, and then at 40-0 up, triple match point, he threw in a baffling and unnecessary tweener into the net, squandered the remaining match points, and it's just got away from him after that. [Edit: spoke too soon. Now Hubi's turn to fail to serve it out] [second edit: lol ok, Fokina wins it hours after he should have done. Stupid match. Disappointing from Hurkacz, feel like that's one of the few potential threats to Djokovic in his side of the draw gone already.]

rjd2

Great result for Fokina, but yeah very poor result for the competition , but Hurkacz was gifted a break when facing match points, served for the match and I think was 7-4 up in match tie break so can't have to much pity for him.

AVU is always dangerous on grass so I could understand why she was favorite today but that was a nice win for Emma .

rjd2

Have watched most of Struff Alcarez today, very enjoyable, bit of a shame Struff has had injuries because he is a top 30 player especially on grass.

selectivememory

Pretty impressed with Emma there. Tough opening round, but she seems physically alright after the injury in Nottingham. Hope she can get on a bit of a run here. Seems to love the big stage, and they're obviously going to put her on Centre Court or Court One for every match she plays.

rjd2

Garcia next for Emma is not ideal. Garcia not had a great few years but enjoys grass and won a pretty good event in Germany beating Andreescu in the final although she did lose to Katie Boutler the previous week!

Struff a little unfortunate that he simply ran out of steam sadly. I dunno about Alcarez on grass, but bar Novak its a relatively nice half of the draw he is in.

selectivememory

I'm sure Alcaraz will do great on grass eventually, but at the moment Wimbledon is the only slam I wouldn't consider him a serious contender at. Good if he gets a few wins under his belt this year though. And I would quite like to see him play Novak again.

Haddad Maia out after a very promising grass season. Didn't really watch many of her matches recently, but she would have been expected to do a bit better than this.

rjd2

Quote from: selectivememory on June 27, 2022, 07:15:59 PMI'm sure Alcaraz will do great on grass eventually, but at the moment Wimbledon is the only slam I wouldn't consider him a serious contender at. Good if he gets a few wins under his belt this year though. And I would quite like to see him play Novak again.

Haddad Maia out after a very promising grass season. Didn't really watch many of her matches recently, but she would have been expected to do a bit better than this.

The UK events in the men and ladies were relatively weak with injuries and so many in Germany so that put the 12 match streak in perspective somewhat. Maybe she should have taken last week off as she was must be somewhat tired but heh welcome to the WTA.

Poor enough from Murray here, Duckworth is game but he is a type of dude you need to be finishing quickly if you are serious about going deep .

selectivememory

Let's see if he can finish it in four. Definitely needs to be winning cleanly in these early rounds if he's going to make the second week.

Flouncer

Back to the pigeon loft for Duckworth, then, as he makes a rover's return to his point of origin.

rjd2

4 set win so not to stressful in the end for Murray.

Isner up next v Murray, they have not played for a bit, but Murray has a 8-0 h2h advantage and I think Isner is in slight decline these days. He was never a great returner, but recently its very bad and he doesn't like the grass that much either due to how slippy it can be.

selectivememory

Yeah, Murray has a great record against the giants. Don't think he's ever lost to Isner, Opelka or Karlovic. Should be getting through that one in four at worst.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Crenners on June 25, 2022, 08:06:47 PMNot sure what it is but I really don't like Raducanu

Anyone know what I mean?

They seem like a dickhead

She comes across as rather robotic, especially when she's dipping heavily into PR speak. I'd like her to say something absolutely revolting during a post match interview with Sue Barker, just to show us that she's human.

buttgammon

Berrettini is out with covid apparently.

selectivememory

Damn. That really sucks. You never know how many opportunities he'll get in the future, but I thought he was in with a real shot at it this year.

Cilic withdrew for the same reason yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if more have to as well. I guess this is what happens when you pretend that the pandemic is over. I still feel uncomfortable looking at the crowds packed into the stands with no one wearing masks and no social distancing in place.

Hurkacz, Berrettini and Cilic all out. The only player remaining that I can see troubling Djokovic and Nadal on grass is Auger-Aliassime, and even he has a tough opener today against Cressy. Men's draw looking decimated already.