Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Beagle 2

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on June 29, 2022, 08:43:37 PMI got stuck into Breath of the Wild a bit yesterday. Hasn't quite clicked for me yet, but I've only played a couple of hours.

I was 40 hours into BOTW and on my second attempt before it clicked for me and now I think it's by a distance the greatest video game of all time, so do persevere.

Never played Pac-Man world but it's a remade 32 bit 3D platformer so I will be immediately buying it.

AzureSky

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 30, 2022, 01:07:05 PMI was 40 hours into BOTW and on my second attempt before it clicked for me and now I think it's by a distance the greatest video game of all time, so do persevere.

FACT. It will become part of you. Nothing is close.

Agree with the above, although it clicked faster than I thought as the world feels so peaceful and magical and the soundtrack is so lovely that I couldn't help but enjoy my time there while I got to grips with the mechanics.

It's definitely a game that sticks with you, I sell 99% of my games after I finish them but not BOTW as I don't think there's been a game I've enjoyed as much.

madhair60

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 30, 2022, 01:07:05 PMI was 40 hours into BOTW and on my second attempt before it clicked for me and now I think it's by a distance the greatest video game of all time, so do persevere.

that's called stockholm syndrome.

Pink Gregory

Quite excited for Nieth : Starmer but there's a good chance it'll run like molasses, wasn't looking so hot on the Xbone so whether or not there'll be some tweaking done remains to be seen.

Am I thinking of another game or is there a massive security hole in the PC version that people warn about?

The only thing I hate more than breath of the wild are the people who enjoy playing it.
As for those people who think it's the best game ever made, there's a special place in hell for them alongside genocidal dictators and child rapists.

Nar, you wouldn't enjoy it. Trust me. Even though you're surrounded by your kind of people, it's not like a social club, you're not all just sitting around chatting about not even the best zelda in the beatles. You're all getting hot rods up the bum and molten lava you have to drink.

Not too late to repent. 90% off, it's a sign! - https://store.steampowered.com/app/239350/Spelunky/

Noodle Lizard

It's really not clicking for me, sadly. Ocarina is probably one of my all-time favourite games (being one of the first "serious" games I played), and I've loved Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and even the much-maligned Skyward Sword.

Maybe it's age, maybe it's having just jumped off Elden Ring, but I'm just not feeling the wonder and awe - more the frustration of slow traversal and inventory management. Not going to stop, mind, but it feels like a bit of a chore to load up.

To be fair, I haven't even got the paraglider yet. I spent ages reaching one of the required shrines only to realise the cold in the area would kill me instantly, and I didn't fancy making that trek again.

Kelvin

If you don't have the paraglider yet, you're still in the training area. Try cooking food that makes you immune to the cold, or find some warm clothes, or just eat food to stay alive until you reach the shrine, it won't be cold inside so you only have to reach it. You can also stay warm by carrying something that's burning. It's a versatile game which rewards that kind of experimentation. 

Beagle 2

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 01, 2022, 08:58:18 PMMaybe it's age, maybe it's having just jumped off Elden Ring, but I'm just not feeling the wonder and awe - more the frustration of slow traversal and inventory management. Not going to stop, mind, but it feels like a bit of a chore to load up.

To be fair, I haven't even got the paraglider yet. I spent ages reaching one of the required shrines only to realise the cold in the area would kill me instantly, and I didn't fancy making that trek again.

Well, this is the thing. The point at which it became incredible for me was when I had opened up the map, got the clothing to go be able to go anywhere, secured shrines all over the world to fast travel to, built up hearts and stamina, basically the point at which you're done with most games. Then you realise you're just getting started and everywhere you go there's fun stuff to do. Have a sneaky peak at a picture of the full map to see how vast it is.

Up to that point and especially for the first few hours it's frustrating unless you're some sort of ninja who instinctively can work out where he's supposed to be going and how to make progress. Obviously the story and characters are total anus as well so that doesn't throw you much. Going back and reading the original thread on here helped me, and I did do a fair bit of googling.

But I say all that, I've never bothered my arse before when people have said that sort of stuff to me before with a game "just don't enjoy it for hours and hours of your life and then you will" but I did this time and I'm so glad.

I hated crysis the first time I played it, and then someone convinced me to go back and play it again as a stealth game.
Wriggling about in the grass like a worm with your cloak on, silencer on, single shot, pop a bonce, get the other lads close by before they kick up a stink. Phew, not been noticed. Trying to do the full game like that until you invariably fuck up and have to fight a whole village.
Sooooo good.

I'm not playing breath of the wild again.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 01, 2022, 09:36:40 PMContent

Yeah I know, it's mostly my impatience getting the better of me (especially since I don't have all that long to play each day). I hit a major brick wall early on in Elden Ring too, but that game rewarded me for my perseverance and I'm sure this one will too.

Quote from: Kelvin on July 01, 2022, 09:24:46 PMIf you don't have the paraglider yet, you're still in the training area. Try cooking food that makes you immune to the cold, or find some warm clothes, or just eat food to stay alive until you reach the shrine, it won't be cold inside so you only have to reach it. You can also stay warm by carrying something that's burning. It's a versatile game which rewards that kind of experimentation. 

One of the small pleasures of BOTW is sheltering by the side of a cliff in freezing weather beside a fire that you've built and started yourself and staying there until the sun rises, magical game.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 01, 2022, 09:56:47 PMYeah I know, it's mostly my impatience getting the better of me (especially since I don't have all that long to play each day). I hit a major brick wall early on in Elden Ring too, but that game rewarded me for my perseverance and I'm sure this one will too.

Once you're out of the training area there are a lot more rewards, even within the area you're in there still tend to be little bits of joy to be had if you see something interesting in the distance and follow it, but it's really amplified the further in you get.

falafel

I accidentally went the wrong way after the training area and missed a load of quite important tutorial stuff but still had a great time with it. Probably the fondest memories I have of a game, no regrets, even the time I spent hours jumping off that tower trying to get the longest paraglide possible for that weird fellow and his experiment. Almost everything else I have ever played has left me with at least a slight sense of guilt that I could have been reading Tolstoy. BOTW is one of only two exceptions that I can think of. If you want a true barometer of my taste, the other one was Mad Max. Fuck knows why.

Kelvin

Quote from: falafel on July 01, 2022, 10:44:14 PMI accidentally went the wrong way after the training area and missed a load of quite important tutorial stuff but still had a great time with it. Probably the fondest memories I have of a game, no regrets, even the time I spent hours jumping off that tower trying to get the longest paraglide possible for that weird fellow and his experiment. Almost everything else I have ever played has left me with at least a slight sense of guilt that I could have been reading Tolstoy. BOTW is one of only two exceptions that I can think of. If you want a true barometer of my taste, the other one was Mad Max. Fuck knows why.

Heh, I was just browsing the original BotW thread, and I really enjoyed re-reading your posts and our discussion. You played the game in such an unconventional way. I don't think you even realised you could sell stuff or upgrade until really late game. Its great that you still enjoyed it.

The game really does inspire a sort of zeal among those who connect with it, there's just something really magical about the experience if it hits you right. Everyone always says its the sense of exploration, but I've always put it down to the super chilled-out vibe the game has, that really tranquil zen "feel" to it all. My over-riding memory isn't of some big set piece or mad discovery, its of walking through quiet glades while deers spring away.

It's not Tolstoy for me.
When I'm mashing a button to climb up a mountain or something and watching a stamina bar, I just think "I could be playing a shmup right now. I could be playing something fast and exciting with kickass chowns, delving deep into the scoring systems and pushing myself harder to be better, instead of wandering around this empty pastel shaded wally world full of twats.

I did like the pink horsey I had. It was pretty cool losing it and then you'd whistle, think it's gone forever and then you'd see it bounding over the hill! Yaaaas!

Hor-sey! Hor-sey!

Mr Vegetables

I liked BOTW because it was relaxing in the way a nice trip to the beautiful countryside can be, without  "being too depressed to get out of bed" becoming an impediment to accessing it. I found it nice in the way climbing up a hill in real life is nice, and finding a weird looking tree or something.  I don't have anything especially smart to say about the experience, but it felt primally reassuring to me in a way that I don't think any other game has.

That's fair enough. I think I was probably sick to death of open world stuff ten years earlier, and I'd played all the games that it was inspired by, so it just felt like a very loose magpies nest of pilfered mechanics, done badly, held together with masking tape to me.

Nintendo did a good job with the smoke and mirrors to keep you invested for 10-20 hours, thinking it's gonna go somewhere, but you quickly realise how unfinished and copy/pasted it all is.

Dogshit game.

Quote from: Kelvin on July 01, 2022, 10:56:36 PMEveryone always says its the sense of exploration, but I've always put it down to the super chilled-out vibe the game has, that really tranquil zen "feel" to it all. My over-riding memory isn't of some big set piece or mad discovery, its of walking through quiet glades while deers spring away.

This is one of the main reasons I love it, and why I was so pleased with the focus not being on dungeons for once (I've ranted about my dislike of the overuse of dungeons in video games many times here). Usually in Zelda games I'm expecting it to be full of dark caves laden with scary creatures that make it feel quite gloomy and claustrophobic, in BOTW it feels like the opposite.

Ah man, the dungeons were what I missed most. Yes, I'm still talking.
The dungeons in the first game were the best part. You found a new one and it was a big deal and you'd always get some cool loot at the end of it.
Now there's a million of them and they all look the same and just have some crappy puzzles.

I can totally see how people would relax into the slower pace of it and enjoy being in a new world, but I think I'd played so many games that already nailed that, this definitely felt less than the sum of it's parts to me, whereas I think most people went the other way. While they may admit that the game didn't nail all of it's systems and mechanics, it felt like a satisfying whole to them.

McDead

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on July 01, 2022, 09:41:06 PMI hated crysis the first time I played it, and then someone convinced me to go back and play it again as a stealth game.
Wriggling about in the grass like a worm with your cloak on, silencer on, single shot, pop a bonce, get the other lads close by before they kick up a stink. Phew, not been noticed. Trying to do the full game like that until you invariably fuck up and have to fight a whole village.
Sooooo good.

I'm not playing breath of the wild again.

Crysis on the switch is an absolute joy. Perfect Predator sim

Noodle, stick with BOTW. I felt exactly the way you do at this point, but it gets a lot (and I mean, a LOT) better.

Mister Six

Isometric Head Over Heels-a-like indie game Lumo is only a couple of dollars in the US Switch sale. Dunno if it's as cheap in the UK, but take a look. Haven't played it yet, but was committed to doing so as soon as I heard "Hold My Hand (Very Tightly)" by Your Sinclair's Whistlin' Rick Wilson was included in the game as literal elevator music.

Crenners

There's a theory that BotW is a mirror to the soul of the player.

Pink Gregory

BOTw got me right away but moments like realising that floating island you can always see in the distance is one of the divine beasts, or cresting a cliff in the desert and seeing the massive dust cloud and snatches of the giant camel were genuinely awe inspiring moments for me

Pink Gregory

Pre order for Nier on Switch for 34.99 on Game UK.

Absolutely need to wait for reviews but that's hard to turn down.

madhair60

Quote from: thelittlemango on July 01, 2022, 10:00:22 PMOne of the small pleasures of BOTW is sheltering by the side of a cliff in freezing weather beside a fire that you've built and started yourself and staying there until the sun rises, magical game.

sitting still? wow!! where's my Switch?!?

Crenners

It's like it kinda helps you see inside yourself, you know, what's really there, opens you right up, you can see what's inside of 'you' and for some people it turns out there's absolutely nothing.