Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:09:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Directors Commentary

Started by bgmnts, July 02, 2022, 12:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Does anyone remember this short lived series? Remember it being hilarious but it barely lasted a few episodes.

Was this actually shit and my baby brain found it funnier than it was?

idunnosomename

all i remember is a cat in a bucket.

Ron Superior

Chercher la femme: shut your mouth.

Clever Peter ts-s-s-s-s.

Got the dvd somewhere but there's at least a fair amount of them on YT

DJ Bob Hoskins

I'd never heard of it until after it had finished its original run, but subsequently picked up the DVD sometime around 2005.

To be honest it wasn't as funny as I'd imagined / hoped it would be (based on the great concept and the fact that Rob Brydon is generally ace), but I liked it all the same.

One bit that sticks out is Brydon's character commenting on a scene from a costume drama with two old dears taking tea (from Duchess of Duke Street perhaps?) and explaining that this was Michael Mann's inspiration for the famous Pacino / De Niro diner scene in Heat.

Gurke and Hare

Can you put a good man in a black hat? Can you put a black man in a good hat?

daf

They couldn't put the Duchess of Duke Street bits on the DVD - which is probably the reason the actual episodes 'as broadcast' aren't on there.

Instead they present it either as a 2 hour 'play all' film, or you can select the show segments from a chapter menu - Eg all the Bonanza bits clumped together - which ruins it a bit - as you don't get the curated variety you had in the Broadcast version.

Ironically, despite giving the impression that 'Duchess of Duke Street' was some sort of creaky Acorn Antiques laughing-stock of a show, when I caught it on TV few years ago, I was totally gripped. It's a really well written and acted show, well worth investigation (though beware of the UK DVD - which uses old omnibus versions prepared for video, that edit loads out!)

Virgo76

I enjoyed it.
I was slightly put off at the time by Charlie Brooker moaning that it very similar to something Adam Buxton had been circulating not long before, but which had never been broadcast. I've heard Adam confirming this since (although he wasn't complaining about Brydon or indeed anyone else possibly lifting his idea).
But very funny as I remember.

Twilkes

I always thought there was room for a followup called Audio Description, with increasingly ridiculous descriptions of visuals and action from near-silent scenes from films in that earnest yet reserved voice that audio descriptors use. I used to try it on most DVDs I bought, some were (unintentionally) funnier than others, but the best one I can remember was the cybersex chat room scene in Patrick Marber's Closer, where not only did the dedicated female audio descriptor have to describe the looks of ardour and frustration on Jude Law and Clive Owen's faces, she had to read out all of the disgraceful messages that they typed out too.

The Late Mike Morris

Yes, I thought it was really good, well worth revisiting.

"I first saw him in a gala charity night for the ivory trade.  I know Dan felt very strongly about it, and that they should have more powerful rifles, bigger nets" 

frajer

I had the DVD for this as well and remember enjoying it a lot, but haven't seen it in ages. It pleased me that there was a bonus feature of a Rob Brydon commentary over the top of his in-character commentary.

Twit 2

Quote from: The Late Mike Morris on July 02, 2022, 10:02:26 PMYes, I thought it was really good, well worth revisiting.

"I first saw him in a gala charity night for the ivory trade.  I know Dan felt very strongly about it, and that they should have more powerful rifles, bigger nets" 

Heh, that's good.

SteveDave

"Two hooves and a foot, a De Lane trademark"

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Virgo76 on July 02, 2022, 04:33:42 PMI was slightly put off at the time by Charlie Brooker moaning that it very similar to something Adam Buxton had been circulating not long before, but which had never been broadcast. I've heard Adam confirming this since (although he wasn't complaining about Brydon or indeed anyone else possibly lifting his idea).
I haven't seen the Buxton thing, but is it something more specific than "funny commentary over old footage"? Cos Ernie Kovacs did that back in the 50s, Mystery Science Theater a bit later, and so on.

mtpromises

I bet Charlie's had a change of heart now that he's remade Naked Gun and The Twilight Zone.

dr beat

The Adam Buxton character was Ken Korda wasn't it? Something he did from time to time, but Directors Commentary did feel like it had been nicked from Buxton's idea.

Quote from: dr beat on July 04, 2022, 08:24:13 PMThe Adam Buxton character was Ken Korda wasn't it? Something he did from time to time, but Directors Commentary did feel like it had been nicked from Buxton's idea.

I've heard Adam Buxton talk about it before, and he acknowledges that it was just bad luck that Rob Brydon had the same idea for Directors Commentary at the same time he did the Ken Korda stuff. There certainly can't be any ill feeling, as Rob was one of Buckles' first guests on his podcasts (they might even have discussed it, I can't remember).

thenoise

Buxton's director commentary was over "the Priory" wasn't it? Jamie Theakston/Zoe Ball vehicle c.1999, zany celeb chat and nonsense show typical of the era.