Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:11:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Halifax introduces name badges with pronouns

Started by Stigdu, July 02, 2022, 08:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stigdu

So, there are a ton of people up in arms that the Halifax bank will be issuing name badges with the wearer's chosen pronoun on there.

'You don't like it, feel free to close your account' they say. Looking at the hundreds of comments on there, it seems the majority of have/will be doing just that.

http://a.msn.com/0E/en-gb/AAYZA3M?ocid=se

Meh, if you're into being a prick, you can just read the name tags and purposefully misgender everyone without that nagging doubt that you might have gotten it wrong (they can always tell).

Everyone's a winner, baby.
That's the truth
(that's the truth)
Making love to you is such a thrill.

Barry Admin

QuoteJuan Jeringuilla said: "I identify as somebody who does not believe that basic facts about the world change because of Gemma's feelings. I furthermore think her feelings should remain at home and are inappropriate to impose upon customers in her workplace. Can I be included in this "People thing" ?"

Christ what a bunch of cunts.

Weird to side with a building society but yeah, they're just right aren't they?

Imagine getting this angry about trivial shit just because social media instructed you to.

Dr Rock

Oh no the world's changing and it makes me scared and angry

frajer

I've a Halifax account and this is the best thing they've done since they gave me that Amazon voucher for transferring over to them 20 years ago. Yeah, fair play.

JamesTC

Bunch of free speech gammon snowflakes getting enraged because people added some pronouns to a badge.

imitationleather

These people need to have a laqer and a wank.

PlanktonSideburns

Bet loads of people will moan about it but no one will close their account.

The Guppy

I closed mine when that cunt rode that fucking swan.

JamesTC

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 02, 2022, 08:55:17 PMBet loads of people will moan about it but no one will close their account.

Doubt most of those complaining even have a Halifax account.

Icehaven

My work does this with email signatures and no one cares. And the irony is, for all the gammony seething, the vast majority of Halifax employees will probably use cisgender pronouns anyway.

Dr Rock

Video Game Fan 2000

its a bit nutty that Halifax says the reason for this is to "open the conversation", is that really the term they're supposed to use now? cloth eared. you're a building society you're not Paul Preciado are you

all a bit empty unless Halifax is actually doing something in queer arts or university, like giving people money to do things
and surely "respect the dignity of our employees or piss off home" is more reassuring than, ah fuck better wade into the cultural wars then just like the beans and the chips people are doing. who wants a fucking conversation about it at the bank. thanks for the deposit, ive got a couple of lads and lasses off t'internet here and theyre absolutely itching to know your definition of performative. no you cant leave until youve told them

imitationleather

Surely all the hip young people are with Monzo or Revolut anyway.

Wonderful Butternut

QuoteJuan Jeringuilla said: "I identify as somebody who thinks Junior Cert Biology is the be all and end all of gender blah blah Gemma's feelings blah blah blah blah blah I'M RATIONAL!!!!!!!!!

Fixed.

Video Game Fan 2000

there's lots of incitement to confession going down at the building society these days

Buelligan

Quote from: JamesTC on July 02, 2022, 08:59:01 PMDoubt most of those complaining even have a Halifax account.

I don't think it's our right to query who has or has not, a Halifax account.  I for one am not prepared to demand their uncancelled pass books at the door.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Icehaven on July 02, 2022, 09:00:38 PMMy work does this with email signatures and no one cares. And the irony is, for all the gammony seething, the vast majority of Halifax employees will probably use cisgender pronouns anyway.

Yeah, we have optional spaces for pronouns on email and Slack. A lot of people with non-cis pronouns have - surprise - ambiguous given names, so it's a very low effort way to highlight their preferred pronouns.

The amazing thing is that the people getting het up about this will almost never need to refer to Gemma using gendered pronouns, because in a building society you're almost always speaking directly to someone using terms like "you", "yours" or "Gemma".

IF I COMPLAIN TO THE MANAGER ABOUT GEMMA DO I NOW NEED TO WORRY ABOUT DOING A MISGENDER?

Stigdu

I put one or two comments on there myself when I read the story. Basically said "so what? Good for them." Got a ton of 'angry' responses. Ho-hum.

Been banking with Halifax for over 20 years now. That's unlikely to change unless they funnel their profits into making gold coffins or something.

shoulders

Quote from: Stigdu on July 02, 2022, 08:30:19 PMSo, there are a ton of people up in arms that the Halifax bank will be issuing name badges with the wearer's chosen pronoun on there.

'You don't like it, feel free to close your account' they say. Looking at the hundreds of comments on there, it seems the majority of have/will be doing just that.

http://a.msn.com/0E/en-gb/AAYZA3M?ocid=se

Couldn't give a shit and most people couldn't give a shit.

Halifax won't give a shit about a few hundred committed bigots, even if we assume they'll follow through on their boasts, which we know many won't.

Cheers.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd be happy to include my pronouns in my work email signature but they don't even stipulate I set one here, so am proudly exercising that right instead.

Video Game Fan 2000

Halifax to give all employees gold coffin after Al Sharpton opens an account

Kelvin

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 02, 2022, 09:02:28 PMall a bit empty unless Halifax is actually doing something in queer arts or university, like giving people money to do things

I don't really agree with this. Its not an empty gesture just because they aren't doing more, its a progressive step in its own right.

That said, are they actually compelling their staff to do it? Because I thought the progressive position was actually that people should be able to choose whether they display their pronouns, so that people who don't know their gender, or haven't come out as trans/non-binary don't feel compelled to do so until they're ready?

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Kelvin on July 02, 2022, 09:22:02 PMI don't really agree with this. Its not an empty gesture just because they aren't doing more, its a progressive step in its own right.

That said, are they actually compelling their staff to do it? Because I thought the progressive position was actually that people should be able to choose whether they display their pronouns, so that people who don't know their gender, or haven't come out as trans/non-binary don't feel compelled to do so until they're ready?

I meant specifically the "open the conversation" thing not the nametags themselves

unless you're giving money or doing something material you're not doing that, you're just doing the minimum. its a bit like an individual saying "i've stopped asking foreign looking people where they're originally from, I'm opening the conversation on postcolonial identity"

madhair60

can't believe halifax have put pronouns on their badges. i mean... what on earth is the world coming to?!

Kelvin

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 02, 2022, 09:24:42 PMI meant specifically the "open the conversation" thing not the nametags themselves

unless you're giving money or doing something material you're not doing that, you're just doing the minimum. its a bit like an individual saying "i've stopped asking foreign looking people where they're originally from, I'm opening the conversation on postcolonial identity"

Ah, that makes more sense, gotcha.

madhair60

Video Game Fan 2000

oh no i posted sincerely in a cultural wars thread, so i have to wait at least 45 minutes for another topic to bumped to shitpost in now