Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:36:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boo Radleys reform

Started by Beagle 2, July 07, 2021, 05:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crankshaft

As if that poster wasn't already pure deso, zooming in reveals there's a band listed called Good Mixer. Fuck everything.

sweeper

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 22, 2021, 11:08:26 AM
So, okay, I guess you can say it's not the Boo Radleys and they've cynically used the name to ensure some sort of audience,  but I'm still interested in hearing what they produce.

Of course, none of this would be an issue for me at all if they called themselves Sice and the Boo Men, or whatever. But from that account, they clearly started making music and specifically didn't contact Martin. So to then go on and use his legacy for their own gain looks very grubby to me.

Still, if you got the band you like back then enjoy it. I always hated Kingsize. The great thing about the Boos is that everyone's personal top 10 probably looks completely different to another's. It's just a shame that it's not that legacy that's being celebrated.

PaulTMA

I think it's shame you can't walk into a barber's and ask to go 'full Sice' - the whole lot off, no stubble - without them not having a clue.

Flouncer

Quote from: sweeper on July 22, 2021, 12:48:27 PMOf course, none of this would be an issue for me at all if they called themselves Sice and the Boo Men, or whatever.

They should've called themselves Sicey-Wicey and His Boo-Boo Boys.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 09, 2021, 03:53:37 PM
It's more their You're Gorgeous, the unexpected giant hit that killed their credibility. You've done a good job of explaining why.  REM can leave SHP off a hits album and easily get away with it.  aside from REM already being being fairly massive in the long run with a larger back catalogue, It's more of a popular mistep in their eyes, rather than being an albatross like Wake Up Boo, their only proper hit.

My friend got speaking to the drummer in a bar in Manchester once and he was really bitter about Wake Up, saying how it had ruined the band and spoilt everything. Guess the royalties are nice though.

DrGreggles

Wake Up Boo wasn't an accidental hit though.
Martin specifically wrote it as pop song that was upbeat and get loads of airplay so it would get it the charts.
The other singles from the album, Find The Answer Within and It's Lulu, were similarly cynical attempts at being hits, which is why they sound so different to the rest of the songs on Wake Up.

There must have been plenty of people, new to the band, who bought the album based on those 3 songs and were surprised at how the rest of the album sounded.
I think the non-singles work perfectly in showing where the Boos were at between Giant Steps and C'mon Kids.

king_tubby

Giant Steps was my favourite ever record back in the day. I can't listen to it now, 25+ years later, because I've now heard pretty much everything they're trying to pastiche and it just grates so badly. Also the fucking CHEEK of calling it Giant Steps. Damn.

Everything's Alright For Ever and the Every Heaven ep are still bangers though.

Wonder how much my copy of Ichabod and I is worth now.

lazyhour

Quote from: king_tubby on July 23, 2021, 09:48:08 AM
Wonder how much my copy of Ichabod and I is worth now.

About £30 in tip top condition.

PaulTMA

The one thing that stands out for me is Sice saying that Martin was under pressure from Creation to make a 'pop' album and he took it very seriously, unlike Slowdive who ignored the same demand and then split up as soon as their album came out.  Trying to think of who else released an album on Creation around then, the Fanclub definitely made their most pop album and for the next couple of albums they managed to come up with a lot of singles and potential singles, even if only one was a 'hit' (cos it was the first new product and came on 2 x CDs which fans snapped up ahead of the album).

Goldentony

Quote from: Flouncer on July 23, 2021, 01:50:25 AM
They should've called themselves Sicey-Wicey and His Boo-Boo Boys.

'baldy bastard and his fucking twats'

sweeper

Imagine demanding that Slowdive make a pop album. McGee with his finger on the pulse of reality yet again.

Probably explains why the third Ride album is so poor.

Bently Sheds

Surprised Manfred Mann didn't sue the Boos for lifting the chorus off this song:

https://youtu.be/v0xmzT-5pYs?t=40

holdover

Which is worse? It's Lulu or Free Huey?

PaulTMA

Why did you want to reform the Boo Radleys?

Sice: Nobody had the idea to reform the group. It is something that has evolved naturally. I invited Tim to attend my 50th birthday party. While exchanging, we found that neither of us had made music for years. We said to each other: why not get back together? We started sending each other files to exchange ideas. Very quickly, Rob joined us. At no time did we find ourselves in the same room. Everything was done remotely. Without really noticing it, we have accumulated a good stock of songs. All were finalized.

Did you hesitate before thinking about making them public?

Sice: Honestly, yes. We didn't really know what to do with it. Only one thing was clear in our mind, we didn't want to release them as The Boo Radleys. The first idea that sprouted was to give a few concerts. We have planned dates under the name of Sice Boo & The Radleys. We had other ideas for names that were just as crazy (laughs). With the containment, we had to cancel them.

Why did you change your mind about the name of the group?

Sice: I went to visit Martin Carr (former guitarist and composer of the group, editor's note ) in Wales for a day. I asked him if he wanted to join the group. He was honest and preferred to decline. He has other plans in mind at the moment. On the other hand, he told me that it was useless to play under another name. He was the one who urged me to use the Boo Radleys name again.

https://section-26.fr/the-boo-radleys-pour-notre-retour-on-fuit-la-pression/?fbclid=IwAR3rdDD0db5Mz3zmFGUYMvAubo4q168-wMBd4LGM-lOJjaIKkET4aj60Yfc

SteveDave

On Facebook yesterday, Martin Carr posted "Just got an email from the manager of the Boo Radleys"

Then there was an emoticon on a bemused face.

He seems to be at once arsed and not arsed that they've reformed without him.

sweeper

Quote from: PaulTMA on August 07, 2021, 02:01:01 PM
He was the one who urged me to use the Boo Radleys name again.

Everyone has lost their fucking minds.

Strongly anticipating that Martin Carr will now pop over the Severn Bridge to curl out a turd on my driveway.

holdover

Tour announced! I'll be checking out the Edinburgh gig

Rev+

Completely missed that they'd released a new album, 'Keep on with Falling' a few months back.  Given that they're missing their songwriter it's not terrible, but the general feeling is of the tracks from 'Wake Up' that weren't singles.  They were always better when they dicked about a bit, and this is too straightforward.

Sice's voice has never sounded better, though.  Maybe it's age, maybe he's been hitting the Senior Service, but there's a grain to it now.

PaulTMA

Yup, I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was, even if it was lacking any chaotic detours.  A bit Wake Up/Kingsize-lite, but nothing necessarily wrong with that.

dontpaintyourteeth

I've heard one boo radleys song in my entire life

You know the one

So what's the move? Giant Steps is the one to listen to, right?

the science eel

dontpaintyourteeth

purlieu

It's as good an intro as any, although C'mon Kids is a good one if you're feeling more adventurous.

dontpaintyourteeth

you know what, I'll download both.

king_tubby

Nah, fuck 'em all off and pretend they only ever released Everything's Alright For Ever.