Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:18:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mickey Mouse is up for grabs as copyright expires.

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, July 03, 2022, 02:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Won't hear a word said against Soo. She's crucial to the dynamic.

Sonny_Jim

I'm pretty confident you could bin off the straight guys and just have a Sweep-a-palooza and it'd be brilliant.

Replies From View

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 04, 2022, 12:03:12 PMWon't hear a word said against Soo. She's crucial to the dynamic.

Let me guess:  Only Fools and Horses only ascended in value once Cassandra was onboard.

SAYING WRONG THINGS DOESN'T MAGICALLY MAKE YOU RIGHT.

Replies From View

Sonny_Jim

Some top quality squeaker work there.  I reckon that's the big difference between him and Sooty.  Sweeps vocal performance always adds an extra layer of funny to the comedy.

Quote from: Replies From View on July 04, 2022, 12:18:54 PMLet me guess:  Only Fools and Horses only ascended in value once Cassandra was onboard.

SAYING WRONG THINGS DOESN'T MAGICALLY MAKE YOU RIGHT.

Soo is clearly the Rodney of the Sooty franchise.

Replies From View

Replies From View

She even has the exact same voice as Cassandra.

"Oopy doopy doo, Matthew?  Ooohh don't do that Sooty that's very unkind.  Sweep you are making such a mess, say sorry."

If the idea was to give the show some female representation they fucked up quite badly by making that panda such a horrid shrill killjoy cunt.  It just ends up making you hate all women, and any girls who see it immediately start converting themselves into boys in disgust.

"Ohhh Rodney should you really risk going out in the rain?  Mightn't you catch a cold?  Burble burble blurble blooble boo."

Dex Sawash

There's some weird lookin modern MM that some CaB nonce started a thread about that aren't bad. Was pointed to a specific one where Mickey loans his trousers to Donald and you get to see his Steamboat Willie

The Mollusk

Mickey's most breathtaking performance and it happens to be a scene about copyright infringement. Coincidence?

idunnosomename

Put a magic wand in me pocket
I'll conjure a sausage from thin air
Cause if you get izzy wizzy and lil bit bizzy then
Brother, I'm your bear

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 04, 2022, 01:20:31 PMThere's some weird lookin modern MM that some CaB nonce started a thread about that aren't bad. Was pointed to a specific one where Mickey loans his trousers to Donald and you get to see his Steamboat Willie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_(TV_series)

Oh theyve rebooted it again at the end of 2020. It's obviously a corporate strategy to keep him active a redesigned so they have other likenesses that are protected by copyright

Gurke and Hare

Always been a strong brand in the world of wristwatches, has Mickey Mouse.

Might be a chance to take the MM brand upmarket to rival your Rolexes and what have you. Imagine you were having a discussion with some important people round a big table, like what important man Keir Starmer does, and you casually rolled up your sleeve to reveal a big gold, jewel-encrusted Mickey Mouse number. Everyone round the table would immediately see that you were the capo dei capi - instant respect.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 04, 2022, 01:56:02 PMAlways been a strong brand in the world of wristwatches, has Mickey Mouse.

Might be a chance to take the MM brand upmarket to rival your Rolexes and what have you.

Money is wasted on the rich and all that.

Replies From View

Crossover fans of Limmy and 3-2-1 know that the best kind of watches are Snoopy watches.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 04, 2022, 03:06:19 PM

Money is wasted on the rich and all that.

That's a rubbish Mickey Mouse watch. The whole point of a Mickey Mouse watch is that Mickey's arms spin round because they're doing the job of the watch hands.

idunnosomename

From looking it isn't a very expensive rolex ($3.5k, Rolexes are usually more like $5k) as they didnt want them on their high end models. And they certainly didnt want the hands.

The original hands watch goes back to 1933

Of course in a couple of years you could sell replicas of these

pigamus

Ignatius_S

There was a lot of media attention about MM's copyright status, nice to see The Guardian has its finger on the news pulse. Still, good to still some more reporting about Republican senators wanting to reduce copyright protection from those woke corporations.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 04, 2022, 01:20:31 PMThere's some weird lookin modern MM that some CaB nonce started a thread about that aren't bad. Was pointed to a specific one where Mickey loans his trousers to Donald and you get to see his Steamboat Willie

Weird looking? Not really. The style harks black to the older animation shorts, but feels very fresh.

They are indeed very good.

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 04, 2022, 01:35:37 PMhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_(TV_series)

Oh theyve rebooted it again at the end of 2020. It's obviously a corporate strategy to keep him active a redesigned so they have other likenesses that are protected by copyright

It's a rebranding and continuation of the earlier series not a reboot - the animation and visual style is the same. The biggest change is the length of episodes - that and the launch of the Mickey and Minnie ride at Hollywood Studios, based on the style of series are more obvious reasons for the rebranding.

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on July 04, 2022, 01:56:02 PMAlways been a strong brand in the world of wristwatches, has Mickey Mouse.

Might be a chance to take the MM brand upmarket to rival your Rolexes and what have you...

Further to what Blue Jam posted, in the American theme parks, basically all the watches relatively upmarket.

Zero Gravitas

RetroRobot

I'd pay a shiny fifty pence piece to see Bugs Bunny violently batter Mickey Mouse. Just completely brutalise the little oik.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 04, 2022, 07:03:54 PMIt's a rebranding and continuation of the earlier series not a reboot - the animation and visual style is the same. The biggest change is the length of episodes - that and the launch of the Mickey and Minnie ride at Hollywood Studios, based on the style of series are more obvious reasons for the rebranding.
yeah rebrand, sorry. or relaunch maybe (the Disney+ factor too I think comes into it). the production behind stuff like this is top quality - it's not like late 80s Saturday cartoon crap - even if the corporate interest is somewhat sinister

M-CORP

Just seen the linked article at the start of this thread... this could go one of two ways.

A) To retain the copyright, Disney change the design of Mickey Mouse, maybe to try and make him look more like an actual mouse, but removing the simple geometric beauty that made him an engaging character in the first place. This move goes down as well as could be expected.

2) Some indie people make some mockumentary or comedy-drama where Mickey Mouse is depicted as some wasted soul who's been ostracised from his former successful lifestyle, and ended up living a secluded existence in Reykjavik. Just realised I'm thinking of a botched rip-off of Bojack Horseman, but never mind.

Either way, I'm very excited to see where this goes.
Oh sorry, I'm properly reading the article now and it seems Disney could still have some trademark or legal power over the character, sorry, as you were.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 04, 2022, 12:28:53 PMSome top quality squeaker work there.  I reckon that's the big difference between him and Sooty.  Sweeps vocal performance always adds an extra layer of funny to the comedy.

It's just Matthew using his other hand.

BJBMK2

They already did the "lol Mickey stoned" thing back in the 70's, courtesy of Pink Floyd cartoon man: