Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:40:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Rob1969in on July 03, 2022, 11:25:33 PM

sorry if this is the wrong thread but I can't seem to reply on the After life season 3 one... but this fella has done another review .

Will watch it tomorrow, thanks.

👍

mrpupkin

Started with season one did you Ian? Where the fuck else would you fucking start?

Replies From View

Missed it the first time around.

Mr Farenheit

I think hes literally just started. Only seen the opening 5 seconds

dannyfc

I've listened to two podcasts with Ricky on recently, the Chatterbix one from few months ago, and one with James Acaster in about 2017.

In both he comes across as a relatively normal and funny bloke. Maybe slightly overbearing at times, but not petty, or vindictive or anything like his twitter or stand-up persona.

I've noticed this about another podcaster I enjoy, who always sounds cordial and upbeat, yet his twitter is brimming with snark and insecurity.

Genuinely feel like it's the worst social media platform, brings out the absolute worst in people.   

Blue Jam

Ah yes, Ian Rankin, the millionaire who wanted to ban people who don't have big walled-off private gardens like him from having a few drinks with their friends in The Meadows during lockdown.

He probably also enjoys Ricky's "That's not what my bank manager says!"-type tweets.

dr beat

Dont think it was even to do with lockdown? He just seems to have a dislike of people meeting in public parks generally.

jobotic

I listened to a radio documentary about Muriel Spark that featured Ian Rankin recently. He came across well, didn't know about this parks business.

Spark's writing walks the line between comedy and tragedy (and absurdity) deftly. As in her famous novella Ha Ha Trans.

The Ombudsman

I don't know too much about Ian Rankin, but I read that as a bit of a jokey comment. Missing it first time around given it's on a streaming platform I took as a nod to the whole thing being sarcasm. But perhaps I'm giving undue good will.

Replies From View

I'm assuming that After Life uses Coldplay music, and that as with fans of Derek some people just aren't very aware of how they can be emotionally manipulated.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Replies From View on July 05, 2022, 11:58:12 AMI'm assuming that After Life uses Coldplay music, and that as with fans of Derek some people just aren't very aware of how they can be emotionally manipulated.

I'm not sure if it uses Coldplay (can't remember) but it absolutely uses music to manipulate. So much twee, sad-boy indie (Sufjan Stevens, Deathcab For Cutie etc.)

Imagine a Zach Braff soundtrack x1000.

Stigdu

It did also have 10cc's version of 'The Things we do for Love', which I'd forgotten all about and never hear on the radio any more, so that went STRAIGHT onto my Spotify playlist. Nice one, Rick.

Des Wigwam

The Rebus books are well written - despite what an arsehole he might or might not be. He can't possibly think Afterlife walks the line between comedy and tragedy so deftly.

famethrowa

Quote from: Stigdu on July 05, 2022, 01:32:58 PMIt did also have 10cc's version of 'The Things we do for Love',

What other version is there?? If it doesn't have the AM-radio quality guitar solo then I don't wanna know

Stigdu

Quote from: famethrowa on July 06, 2022, 12:03:08 AMWhat other version is there?? If it doesn't have the AM-radio quality guitar solo then I don't wanna know

Couple of other artists have covered it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Things_We_Do_for_Love_(song)

Bennett Brauer

I just thought it was Lazlo Bane covering a Tina Arena song.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Merchant once again proved his overall superiority by including Salesman by The Monkees in a recent episode of The Outlaws.

Gervais is weird when it comes to music. He posits himself as some sort of expert, a passionate music fan, but most of the stuff he likes is generic mournful folk-indie wank. He's a Coldplay man through and through.

And he doesn't even know how to pronounce 'Bowie' correctly, an artist he apparently idolises.

frajer

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 06, 2022, 11:20:38 AMGervais is weird when it comes to music. He posits himself as some sort of expert, a passionate music fan, but most of the stuff he likes is generic mournful folk-indie wank. He's a Coldplay man through and through.

And he doesn't even know how to pronounce 'Bowie' correctly, an artist he apparently idolises.

It was like when he said The Sopranos was his all-time favourite show, but when he went on the Talking Sopranos podcast he offered 15 minutes of basic surface-level opinions and then spent the rest of the time talking about why After Life was great and comparable to Sopranos.

He's a deeply incurious man and for someone who loves to talk about the philosophy of human behaviour, he also has no interest in exploring stuff beyond his worldview. An endlessly fascinating fuck.

Ferris

But garbage trucks remove the garbage from peoples homes, which is the opposite of what gervais does.

frajer

Also the bin lorry's Netflix special is decent. Mostly because its content isn't recycled!

QuoteThe council also revealed that it was due to announce the names of the food trucks next week. Unluckily for them, Ricky Gervais beat them to the game. Responding to the tweet from Gervais, the council said: "The race is on for you to spot the other five trucks and break the news on their names before we do."

to which Gervais responded "No, you're alright. I have alerts set up for my own name, that's how I found out about the truck thing. I'm not interested in anything or anyone else, so unless you've named another truck after me, the story ends there as far as I'm concerned."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 06, 2022, 11:20:38 AMAnd he doesn't even know how to pronounce 'Bowie' correctly, an artist he apparently idolises.

I think he found out the correct way at some point but continued with the wrong pronunciation. This was either because he didn't want to admit he was wrong or as part of his childish doing the opposite of what is expected of him routine. Hard to tell the difference sometimes.

If we could find out how he pronounces "Bowie" in his private life, that would give a good insight.

Stigdu

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 08, 2022, 06:29:09 PMor as part of his childish doing the opposite of what is expected of him routine. Hard to tell the difference sometimes.

So do you always find comedians who do that childish, or just Ricky Gervais?

wrec

Brundle-Fly

BTW, Is Gervais pronounced 'Ja-vace' or 'Jerr-vaze'?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Stigdu on July 08, 2022, 06:47:42 PMSo do you always find comedians who do that childish, or just Ricky Gervais?

Shuduppa Gervais.

Stigdu

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 08, 2022, 07:54:03 PMShuduppa Gervais.

Heh. Nice. It's just that I know if there's a comedian I don't like (Sasha Baron Cohen has to catch me on a good day, for example) then they might something with really wide appeal but I'll hate it. Just because it's him.

idunnosomename

have you tried oscillations yet, you could start a thread about how groovy Idles are