Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:30:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Starmer VIII: Labour will set you free

Started by pancreas, March 16, 2022, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: shoulders on July 06, 2022, 01:47:08 PMIt's fairly obvious the left would now generally tolerate Burnham as Labour leader were that to happen.

How clean is Burnham, from our perspective? Is he worth getting excited over, or just the least worst option?

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Blumf on July 06, 2022, 03:17:43 PMHow clean is Burnham, from our perspective? Is he worth getting excited over, or just the least worst option?

He did some good work on Hillsborough. Can't help but feel like he seems like he's really good because of how shit everyone else is and also because he has a degree of freedom being a mayor that he may not have the will to stick with if he was leader of the party.

Having said that, I don't remember his ever sticking the boot into Corbyn at any point, maybe playing the long game and a good compromise candidate.

KennyMonster

I think Burnham will be a Milliband at best.

Easily pushed by the right to do not much even if he wants to be a bit progressive.

He went up for leader vs Corbyn and didn't impress enough to be the "safe/sensible" option which means he didn't do/say anything that suggested a serious opposition to the threat of Austerity measures on the weakest in society.

Buelligan

Quote from: Blumf on July 06, 2022, 03:17:43 PMHow clean is Burnham, from our perspective? Is he worth getting excited over, or just the least worst option?

Being realistic, we could've had Burnham in 2015.  We chose Corbyn by a huge majority.  There was a reason why such a large number of people chose Marrowman. 

I think Burnham's probably the least worst option but I wouldn't rejoin the party for him.  I think Labour has killed itself. 

shoulders

He seems to have processed the years in office through to his leadership campaigns and come through that being more anti-market and more populist. If he is seriously talking about PR and basic income then that needs airing. There is not a lot else going on and he has enough allies across the party to potentially, if briefly, unite people.

Buelligan

I think the problem with Burnham is we've had Starmer. 

How can people believe what he promises?  How can people trust the promises of anyone that doesn't have a provable and lengthy track record?

Sebastian Cobb

last time he came up I think I said he looked like he was doing an alright job as mayor but then @holyzombiejesus assured me from his Manchester-inhabitant perspective he wasn't.

holyzombiejesus

He's promising to do a good job with the buses but *shrugs*. The man's not remotely interested in changing anything in any meaningful way and Manchester residents are now being told that the waiting list of rrehousing even just to private rentals has gone up from a  few months to 6 years. Meanwhile, the council allows habitable housing to be bulldozed to make way for skyscrapers for millionaires. Obviously the blame can't be placed entirely at Burnham's door but anyone with any kind of left-leaning perspective would call this out. He could od what Corbyn was going to do and say that homelessness in Manchester would end by the end of the week (or even in 12 months) but he doesn't and wouldn't deream of doing so even though nearly every homeless person was homed during covid (and subsequently put back out on to the pavements) Anyway, please donate to this, thanks.

Sebastian Cobb

I was quite surprised at all the tents along the river when I came into Manchester before Covid. Especially how they're congregated in pockets like makeshift towns (not all that surprising). I'm sure that the actual numbers are similar to somewhere like Brum but the trains I've been on down there don't seem to coalesce in quite the same way.

A cynical part of me thought 'I bet the powers that be come along and shift them (without doing anything else) just so people on trains don't have to look at them'.

shoulders

Buelligan

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 06, 2022, 05:12:28 PMHe's promising to do a good job with the buses but *shrugs*. The man's not remotely interested in changing anything in any meaningful way and Manchester residents are now being told that the waiting list of rrehousing even just to private rentals has gone up from a  few months to 6 years. Meanwhile, the council allows habitable housing to be bulldozed to make way for skyscrapers for millionaires. Obviously the blame can't be placed entirely at Burnham's door but anyone with any kind of left-leaning perspective would call this out. He could od what Corbyn was going to do and say that homelessness in Manchester would end by the end of the week (or even in 12 months) but he doesn't and wouldn't deream of doing so even though nearly every homeless person was homed during covid (and subsequently put back out on to the pavements) Anyway, please donate to this, thanks.

Thanks HZJ, I had the feeling it was so. 

On the link, I have donated and emailed every person I know and pleaded with them to share if they can't donate.  A small effort to fix something dreadful and completely fixable.  Solidarity.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Buelligan on July 06, 2022, 05:22:45 PMOn the link, I have donated and emailed every person I know and pleaded with them to share if they can't donate.  A small effort to fix something dreadful and completely fixable.  Solidarity.

Cheers Buellers. If the rest of you could all chip in that would be lovely, ta.

lipsink

Haha. Frankie Boyle had a spat yesterday with Abi Wilkinson. Unfortunately, Wilkinson appears to have deleted her account since but it was when Boyle tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1544764317077307392

Wilkinson pointed out that Boyle had slagged off Corbyn in his show and articles:

Boyle shockingly used the anti-semitism weaponisation again yesterday when someone said it was painful watch their programmes. He said : Which episode do you mean? The one where we had a Jew on?"

What an arsehole. 

Fambo Number Mive

Is he saying Labour should have bought TV stations and newspapers in preparation for the 2017 and 2019 elections? Or that they didn't focus enough on advertising and broadcasts in print and televisual media?

Maybe I'm not getting his point.

kittens

frankie boyle is now so old his pussy is haunted

Fambo Number Mive

Labour eleven points ahead in Times poll, although that could change if the Durham police decide to fine Starmer and Rayner.

Wes Streeting waiting in the wings?

Fambo Number Mive

Meanwhile the Metro reports that Starmer has been SMIRKING and KISSING HIS WIFE at Wimbledon.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: lipsink on July 08, 2022, 10:34:56 AMHaha. Frankie Boyle had a spat yesterday with Abi Wilkinson. Unfortunately, Wilkinson appears to have deleted her account since but it was when Boyle tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/1544764317077307392

Wilkinson pointed out that Boyle had slagged off Corbyn in his show and articles:

Boyle shockingly used the anti-semitism weaponisation again yesterday when someone said it was painful watch their programmes. He said : Which episode do you mean? The one where we had a Jew on?"

What an arsehole. 

I saw that, fragile wanker. It's already been posted in the TBEU thread but this made me crease:

lipsink

This was his anti-semitism trope tweet yesterday.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: lipsink on July 08, 2022, 10:34:56 AMHaha. Frankie Boyle had a spat yesterday with Abi Wilkinson. Unfortunately, Wilkinson appears to have deleted her account since

I think she just deactivates occasionally.  Probably wise.

Boyle acting like a pissy bluetick centrist celebrity, who knew.

Sebastian Cobb

She seems to get a lot of shit for someone whom, and I'm not intending to be cruel about this - wasn't all that a prominent journalist/commenter.

Memorex MP3

Her arguments tend to go on for way longer and part of that is because she replies very quickly. She's often quite good at tearing someone down on their bullshit but definitely seems like twitter isn't very suited to.

lipsink

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1545046345425203202

A clip where Boyle and The Smartest Man Ever Baddiel discuss Labour's hatred of the Jews. Fair play to Katherine Ryan and to some extent Sara Pascoe for trying to push back a little.

idunnosomename

David Baddiel there comparing antisemitism to cancer and by extension all other forms of racism to shingles

Blumf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62095955
QuoteLabour leader Sir Keir Starmer and deputy Angela Rayner have been cleared by Durham Police of breaking lockdown rules.

It follows an inquiry into an event at a Labour MP's office in April last year.

In a statement, the police said they will not be issuing any fines and no further action will be taken.

king_tubby

The cowards at the Durham constabulary have refused to issue Starmer with a FPN.

KennyMonster

Quote from: lipsink on July 08, 2022, 12:37:13 PMhttps://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1545046345425203202

A clip where Boyle and The Smartest Man Ever Baddiel discuss Labour's hatred of the Jews. Fair play to Katherine Ryan and to some extent Sara Pascoe for trying to push back a little.

When is this from?
When was it broadcast?

Lordofthefiles

Starmer innocent of having a curry!

Well I'm disappointed to say the least.

...but the thing that's really making me sick about this whole thing is the disgusting cunt in a yellow jumper in the background of the secretly filmed video, smashing food into his hairy gobhole like a fucking pigman with the table manners of a goat having a stroke.

My teeth are right on edge and yet I can't stop focussing in him.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 08, 2022, 12:43:06 PMDavid Baddiel there comparing antisemitism to cancer and by extension all other forms of racism to shingles

Is it me or did he work hard to conjoin "thinking the world is ran by some anonymous elites" and "those elites are Jews"?

Because I don't think it's unlikely that there are some people who keep out of the limelight, have lots of power and probably have more money than the likes of Bezos or Musk, but keep it "off paper". Religion/Ethnicity doesn't come into it though. Very hard to phrase in a way without people jumping to conclusions that you are leading them into an antisemitic conspiracy theory though isn't it?