Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Speed Dating!

Started by bgmnts, July 06, 2022, 10:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I was talking to a friend online about speed dating and she said it was a good idea and I had a look in Cardiff (there are many it seems) and there were three age categories:

22-34
24-38
and
28-45

Now, like a few here I'm in my (very) laye 20s and I have no idea which one would be my category. I assume the first one would be for late 20s who still act like they're 18, the second one is for late 20s who are thinking about growing up and the third is for late 20s who have a mortgage.

Which one would you go to, if any? Have you ever gone to a speed dating event before? Was it humiliating? Did you have fun?

TheGingerAlien

Didn't realise it was a thing. Like chat roulette for singles? Guess 28-45 might be more interesting? Pisser if you're over 45 eh haha

bgmnts

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on July 06, 2022, 10:58:55 PMDidn't realise it was a thing. Like chat roulette for singles? Guess 28-45 might be more interesting? Pisser if you're over 45 eh haha

Oh they do seem to do a '40s and 50s' night. So old as fuck sexually worthless blobs can all embarrass themselves together.

Ray Travez

Never done it, but the idea seems sound- meet a load of people quickly, see who you click with.

Quoteold as fuck sexually worthless blobs can all embarrass themselves together.

oh why's that then?

TheGingerAlien

No need to do any sexing if it's all on zoom though. Sounds interesting... and the good thing is that if it's total shit you can just turn your router off.

bgmnts

Quote from: Ray Travez on July 06, 2022, 11:02:03 PMNever done it, but the idea seems sound- meet a load of people quickly, see who you click with.

oh why's that then?

I hear when you turn 50 your parts shrivel and get covered in some kind of sand like substance?

But yeah it's weird there is one event for anyone over 45, as if they don't like to go out and meet singletons.

touchingcloth

What's with the overlapping categories? It looks like a GCSE geography survey which got marked a U.

Fr.Bigley

I went speed dating once, the missus wasn't best pleased when I told her about it.

Sebastian Cobb

We gave it a go but the police came round and told us all to pack it in as we were bungling their investigations.

Oh sorry, I thought you wrote 'pead baiting'

touchingcloth

flotemysost

Tried it once, when I was around your age bgmnts or a bit younger - I think it probably would've been something like the first age bracket in your post. It was fun, though I wasn't taking it particularly seriously, and I don't think I'd do it again - not all that long til I'm in the

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2022, 11:00:25 PMold as fuck sexually worthless blob

gang!

Anyway, it was alright. In the breaks between the actual date bits - where you can go to the bar and "mingle" (sorry, sorry) and chat to people freely - the person I hit it off the most with was another woman (platonically; it was an unquestioningly hetero event, unsurprisingly) who was lovely, but I think we both fancied the same bloke (and I think he liked her too, so fair play to them both!).

I did end up going on a "second" date with another guy from that evening, who was also nice, although we were pretty different. It didn't go any further than that, but yeah that's just a case study which isn't entirely deso, if you needed it.

Bum Flaps

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2022, 11:04:08 PMBut yeah it's weird there is one event for anyone over 45, as if they don't like to go out and meet singletons.

insert joke about Carbon dating here

MojoJojo

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2022, 11:04:08 PMBut yeah it's weird there is one event for anyone over 45, as if they don't like to go out and meet singletons.

A significant amount of people dating under 40 will be looking to start a family. Over 40 that's off the table, so people are looking for a wider variety of things, mostly lower commitment.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on July 06, 2022, 11:05:26 PMI went speed dating once, the missus wasn't best pleased when I told her about it.

I went speed dating once, it was like Spud's job interview on Trainspotting.

Speed dating would play into my anxieties too much. The prospect of 20-odd women confirming that they don't find me attractive or interesting would cause too much trauma and skews the risk / reward ratio in an unappealing way.

GMTV

I went once. I was in a teetotal phase at this point and most folk were pissed when they arrived.

As I was talking to one person, she subtly ticked the no box for me mid conversation! I found it funny as there was a real comic timing to it.

The last person I spoke to was a fairly attractive hairdresser from greenock. She said now its over why don't we go and have a chat, but she was just going to the toilet. A couple of the guys were shouting her over as she walked away. I surveyed the scene, made some calculations, and decided to leave there and then with a shred of dignity.

As I was walking out the organiser shouted over, don't worry, since you've not met anyone you get another free go! I did not return.

Ray Travez

Quote from: GMTV on July 07, 2022, 09:36:09 AMAs I was walking out the organiser shouted over, don't worry, since you've not met anyone you get another free go!

That's exactly what you want shouted across a crowded room, isn't it?  "NOBODY CHOSE YOU, SEE YOU NEXT WEEK!"

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: GMTV on July 07, 2022, 09:36:09 AMI surveyed the scene, made some calculations, and decided to leave there and then with a shred of dignity.

Yussef Dent

Did it years ago a couple of times but not something I took seriously, and we were well oiled before.

The last time I did it though, I am quite an inquisitive little bleeder and when we got up to move to the next one I would look up and try and gauge reactions of people, their body language and so on. One guy looked almost ashen faced as he got up, and the next one who had been sat with this woman had a similar look on his face. The next I think I remember shook his head in disbelief as she left.

Anyway, it comes to me sitting down with her and after introducing each other, she launches into this rambling diatribe about all her failed relationships, how men are all liars and cheaters, something about how her mates aren't single and she doesn't know why she is and it's all men's fault of high expectations, and then that was it. Four minutes or whatever it was, my side of the conversation was basically telling her my name, where I lived and my job.

At the bar after me and my mates were talking about our similar encounters with her, then this bloke who came by himself overheard us and joined in the conversation, next thing there's like nine guys all chatting about this woman and they got about as much of a word in with her as everyone else. It wasn't always the same rant, the first thing she asked to one man was "you don't like football do you? Cos my ex liked it and I hate it," one guy was asked if he ever bought lads mags, and another one, she was unhappy with him because he was a mature student and she said he'd just gone to Uni to perv on young girls.

Icehaven

I'd presumed things like this didn't exist anymore because of dating apps, but it's nice to know some people still like to meet face to face from the off (that, or they're just trying everything).

Quote from: bgmnts on July 06, 2022, 10:49:59 PMI was talking to a friend online about speed dating and she said it was a good idea and I had a look in Cardiff (there are many it seems) and there were three age categories:

22-34
24-38
and
28-45

Which one would you go to, if any?

Well a lot of us wouldn't have much choice, it'd either be the last one or none.

I've never been to anything like them but years ago two friends of mine went to a "singles night" thing at a museum because one of them never went to bars or clubs and didn't drink so thought it might be a good way to meet like minded men. They were both in their early-mid 20s at the time and were at least half the age of literally everyone else there.