Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:07:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roe v. Wade is overturned

Started by Dark Sexy Dangerous, June 24, 2022, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Pimhole on July 04, 2022, 04:29:05 PMYou'll want the National Network of Abortion Funds which funnels the cash to wherever it is most needed.

Nice one Pimhole.  I think that is one I'll go for as well.

flotemysost

Thanks for the bump re: National Network of Abortion Funds, have just donated.

Re: BPAS (in the UK) - I'm on their mailing list and it's useful for hearing about any petitions/opportunities to write to your MP doing the rounds (e.g. for the attempt earlier this year to recall the law allowing at-home abortion pills)

Also worth mentioning Abortions Without Borders (helping people in Poland to access abortion)

Mister Six

Quote from: Pimhole on July 04, 2022, 04:29:05 PMYou'll want the National Network of Abortion Funds which funnels the cash to wherever it is most needed.

Ooh cheers, I'll contribute too.

Replies From View

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on June 29, 2022, 06:51:24 PM[deep breath] AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDS.

You appear to have unusually small or compromised lungs.  Try again.

Replies From View

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 30, 2022, 01:56:36 AMWhat if it is ten baby hitlers v one anne frank?

A Sophie's Choice for 2022.

Replies From View

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 30, 2022, 07:09:40 AMThanks. Turns out I have heard of this problem. I'd forgotten that this kind of vehicle is an example of a trolley:

The trolley problem I'm more familiar with is the problem of balancing while putting my underwear on in the morning.

Can't you sit on your bed with your bare arse?  It's been washed.

Mister Six

If you want to donate some money to an abortion access charity and get some games into the bargain, you can buy this bundle of 700+ indie games and other gubbins.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Mister Six on July 07, 2022, 03:05:18 PMIf you want to donate some money to an abortion access charity and get some games into the bargain, you can buy this bundle of 700+ indie games.

Still working through the list but none of them seem thematic yet...

Mister Six

They're not, it's just whatever indie creators want to help out offering up whatever games and such they've already made. The stuff is usually for sale on that site anyway, they just let it go for a discount to raise money.

Dark Sexy Dangerous

QuoteBiden to sign order to help safeguard access to abortion

WASHINGTON, July 8 (Reuters) - U.S. President Joe Biden will sign an executive order on Friday to help safeguard women's access to abortion and contraception after the Supreme Court last month overturned the Roe v Wade decision that legalized abortion, the White House said.

Biden, a Democrat, has been under pressure from supporters, particularly progressives, to take action after the landmark decision, which upended roughly 50 years of protections for women's reproductive rights.

Biden will direct the Health and Human Services Department to take action to protect and expand access to "medication abortion" approved by the Food and Drug Administration, the White House said.

He will also direct the department to ensure women have access to emergency medical care, family planning services, and contraception, including intrauterine devices (IUDs.)

Biden's attorney general and White House counsel will convene pro bono attorneys and other organizations to provide legal counsel for patients seeking an abortion as well as abortion providers.

"Such representation could include protecting the right to travel out of state to seek medical care," the White House said in a statement.

The Supreme Court's ruling restored states' ability to ban abortion. As a result, women with unwanted pregnancies face the choice of traveling to another state where the procedure remains legal and available, buying abortion pills online, or having a potentially dangerous illegal abortion.

Biden has condemned the court's ruling.

The issue may help drive Democrats to the polls in the November midterm elections, when Republicans have a chance of taking control of Congress. Democrats have a slim majority in the House of Representatives and control the evenly divided Senate through Vice President Kamala Harris's tie-breaking vote.

Biden's executive order on Friday is also aimed at protecting patients' privacy and ensuring safety for mobile abortion clinics at state borders, and it directs the establishment of a task force to coordinate the administration's response on reproductive health care access, the White House said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-sign-executive-order-help-safeguard-access-abortion-contraception-2022-07-08

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on July 07, 2022, 03:08:38 PMStill working through the list but none of them seem thematic yet...

Abortion themed games? Niche interest I'd say.

Martin Van Buren Stan

This is infuriatingly pathetic from Harris. She's one of the worst politicians in history. Every time she speaks it's just a load of wishy washy bollocks

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/07/09/kamala-harris-roe-critics-rachel-oleary-carmona-sot-nr-vpx.cnn

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 10, 2022, 02:18:54 PMThis is infuriatingly pathetic from Harris. She's one of the worst politicians in history. Every time she speaks it's just a load of wishy washy bollocks

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2022/07/09/kamala-harris-roe-critics-rachel-oleary-carmona-sot-nr-vpx.cnn

haha. She's utterly convinced she'll be elected pres one day and is terrified of saying anything to jeopardise that, even if what she needs to say is broadly popular from the left to the centre. A self serving coward to the core.

Or alternatively: anyone criticising this is a white incel who hates feminism. Note that CNN won't criticise her - the opinionater they've got on AGREES with her that it was right to assume it was settled matter.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: jamiefairlie on July 08, 2022, 07:48:00 PMAbortion themed games? Niche interest I'd say.

games that are secretly based on abortion:

Pac-Man
Yar's Revenge

touchingcloth

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62124366

QuoteA woman in Texas has argued that her unborn baby should count as a passenger after she was fined for driving in a high-occupancy lane.
While the Texas penal code recognises an unborn baby as a person, current laws surrounding transportation in the state do not.

Good to see these pro-lifers hold to their sincere beliefs in every area of public life.

bgmnts

Haha such a fucking roundabout drawn out way to deny women autonomy of their bodies. Just come out and say it, don't hide behind a foetus.

Wonderful Butternut

Here we go, North Carolina legislators looking to make abortion into First Degree Murder: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fuckthealtright/comments/w2hmt5/this_is_a_bill_proposed_in_nc_that_would_make_it/

Oh and see that bit that says 'any person has the right to defend his or her own life or the life of another person, even by use of deadly force if necessary, from willful destruction by another person.'?

Wow, that really opens up a Pandora's Box doesn't it? Does that mean you can kill people who are planning to have or perform an abortion to defend the life of 'another person' - the unborn cluster of cells baby that is now defined as a person by this bill? Certainly looks like it to me.

Let's see where that could lead us:

Does your pregnant girlfriend wanna go visit her friends/family in another state and you don't like it, cos you think she's actually running away cos you've been beating the shit out of her? No problem if you're in North Carolina. If this passes, you can shoot her. You can say she was crossing state lines to get an abortion and you shot her to protect the life of the baby. Will that wash in court? Probably. She was only a woman after all.

If you don't want to kill her, maybe you could just legally lock her up in your house to 'defend the life of another person'?

Let's go bigger! Wanna blow up a family planning clinic or somewhere offering abortion services? And then stand outside with your 2nd amendment approved firearm and shoot everyone running out of the building terror from the flames? If this passes, it could be legal to do that. Think of all the murders you just prevented and all the babies' lives you just saved. You'll be a hero. Bonus if you get a good ratio of people of colour vs. whites.

America, pls Civil War. k thx.

Proof this isn't something someone made up: https://www.ncleg.gov/BillLookUp/2021/H158 (Although this website is shitting itself, probably from unprecedented traffic)

JaDanketies

You couldn't justify killing a pregnant women to protect the foetus she was holding unless you did some amateur caesarean shit like in a horror movie, as killing the pregnant woman would necessitate killing the child. You need to cut that woman open afterwards to make it justifiable.

My first novel idea was gonna end with the main character doing something similar and justifying it through their warped but internally-consistent morality; this has really given that idea legs though, I might go back to it

touchingcloth

The only thing that can stop a bad woman with a vacuum aspirator is a good foetus with a gun ARM THE UNBORN

flotemysost

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 19, 2022, 03:04:45 PMARM THE UNBORN

Just imagining the classic anti-abortion marketing graphics of gelatinous homunculi about to get blasted to bits being upgraded so they're clutching assault rifles in their (fully-formed) little hands.

But yeah, that's completely terrifying, and I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if people who suffer miscarriages for wanted pregnancies end up brutally penalised too (as we've seen elsewhere in the world).

Back to the UK for a moment - BPAS sent round this petition yesterday (to revise UK law so that no one is criminalised for attempting to end their own pregnancy):  https://bpas-campaigns.org/campaigns/decriminalisation/?mc_cid=04745e24f5&mc_eid=7f860fc509#take-action

bgmnts

I honestly think they should just making unprotected sex and nutting inside illegal, solve about 6 problems in one move.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 10, 2022, 03:18:35 PMgames that are secretly based on abortion:

Pac-Man
Yar's Revenge

Don't forget Chuckie Egg

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 10, 2022, 09:31:52 PMDon't forget Chuckie Egg

or that one where you have to beg your parents to pay for a girls abortion so you can still go to Havard

Jet Set Willy
or is it Manic Minor

TrenterPercenter

@flotemysost

In case you missed it today there was a follow up on the previous Guardian article regarding arrests for illegal abortions in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/aug/19/abortion-legal-great-britain-women-life-sentences-roe-v-wade

Mister Six

flotemysost

Thanks for sharing that, @TrenterPercenter. I wasn't aware of the detail of these laws - it's not really explained in the article, but apparently the woman who was arrested for ordering abortion pills (after the law was relaxed during 2020) was in breach of the legal ten-week limit for medical at-home abortions. Ten weeks! How many people realise they've got an *unplanned* pregnancy that early along?!

I mean, I'm sure there are probably valid health reasons to have a cap for situations where it's not possible for the patient to visit a medical professional in person, and I'm not an ob/gyn so I'm not going to speculate about what a medically reasonable limit might be, but to punish someone for breaching that with a potential life sentence just seems mad.

Anyway if I'm understanding it correctly, it sounds like there's quite a few different laws here being used to criminalise people seeking abortions (which is obviously awful).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: flotemysost on August 20, 2022, 11:10:59 AMTen weeks! How many people realise they've got an *unplanned* pregnancy that early along?!

She thought she was 8-10 weeks, but presumably must have been over 24 weeks still utterly heart breaking that she was imprisoned for 2 years after what had happened to her, utterly disgraceful (I hope that Proudman in bringing attention to this can help with that woman getting some compensation or something (atleast).   

flotemysost

Even assuming that everyone has a perfectly regular period every month (which of course many don't), that's failing to take into account abusive partners who commit r*pe through stealthing or while their partner is intoxicated (and so the person who's pregnant might not even realise unprotected sex took place); possibly time taken to consider their decision in some cases (because I'm sure there are plenty of people who've sought abortions for whom it wasn't just an immediate choice - though obviously it's equally valid if it was); and the time taken to arrange consultations and appointments (which might be even harder if you've got an abusive partner snooping on your every move). Ten weeks seems like no time at all.

TrenterPercenter

I think the law is up to 24 weeks it was just that she thought it had only been 10 weeks since conception (sorry if you are talking about something else here).