Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Our Flag Means Death

Started by timebug, January 05, 2023, 08:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Yea its really sweet, if they can make it funny in a second series it'd be ace

backdrifter

Enjoyed this even more on the rewatch

Easily the best 2 sequences are
Spoiler alert
The Chain (particularly Joel Fry's mandolin work)
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Miles from Nowhere (genuinely moving while containing ridiculous silliness)
[close]

phes

I'm not keen on popular music soundtracks but even allowing for that, I hated The Chain. Completely took me out of the show and while some of the lyrics appear to loosely fit, the context and meaning of the song were at odds with the scene.

I guess that meaning may have changed over time given how The Chain and FM endured. So maybe the reasoning is me being nitpicky or plain wrong. It made me go eurgh.

backdrifter

Fair enough. Songs often take me out of shows too.

I honestly have no idea what the context or meaning of the song is so that didn't bother me.

phes

The lyrics were written by Nicks about broken promises and accepting the loss of her relationship, and it came at a time when other relationships in the band had deteriorated beyond repair. So it was a bit weird when they used it to soundtrack the opposite. That was a long time ago though, and the song became a forever staple for an indestructible band so presumably the song took on its own meaning

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: backdrifter on February 02, 2023, 09:50:01 AMEnjoyed this even more on the rewatch

Easily the best 2 sequences are
Spoiler alert
The Chain (particularly Joel Fry's mandolin work)
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
Miles from Nowhere (genuinely moving while containing ridiculous silliness)
[close]

Also my fave songs from the soundtrack. In the past I've made attempts to get into Rumours and never did, so it's testament to the magic of that sequence that I now love The Chain. It seems to be most fans second favourite scene of the series, second of course to
Spoiler alert
the kiss in episode 9
[close]
I've been disappointed that Cat Stevens hasn't had an OFMD-linked resurgence.

A Spotify playlist has appeared that some people believe includes genuine soundtrack choices to be in series 2 - put up by writer Alex Sherman. Some really naff AOR in there, but I've noticed that younger people don't seem to notice that AOR is naff.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4aX7dVn6osRowl8QKXjceV?si=80bf0500d19d43e6

Virgo76

The second series has landed on the IPlayer.
Has anyone watched it yet? How does it compare to the first series?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Virgo76 on February 07, 2024, 09:57:24 AMThe second series has landed on the IPlayer.
Has anyone watched it yet? How does it compare to the first series?
It was discussed a bit in Picture Box in this thread.