Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson (from 6th March) 2023

Started by AzureSky, March 05, 2023, 10:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitsofan34

Tiggles

Thank you much! I listened to the Listening Club show from early 2006 on my way over and back from Hebden Bridge this morning, so lovely as a piece of history (and also him talking through his first idea for what would end up being Gregory Church).

I don't care how dweebish he thinks our recording and listening to radio shows is, as an act of tenacious collecting, research and care over so many years it is practically a work of art in itself.

Tiggles

For anyone whose mailing list email has gone to the junk folder, it looks like later this week Kitson will announce some more pre-wip dates to get ideas for Edinburgh. There's two this week at the Bill Murray but they went immediately.

Shenanigan back on sale too.

itf

Second email of the week in, Manchester already sold out. (I may have a spare nearer the time)

SteveDave

Tiggles

Quote from: itf on June 08, 2023, 12:18:27 PMSecond email of the week in, Manchester already sold out. (I may have a spare nearer the time)

I'd be hugely interested in that spare. Gone in the time it took me to click the link.

itf

Quote from: Tiggles on June 08, 2023, 12:29:19 PMI'd be hugely interested in that spare. Gone in the time it took me to click the link.

That's why I have a spare, bought 2 in a mad panic and now wife can't go. I've asked a mate but if not it's yours. NB I probably won't be there until just before he's on.

Tiggles

Quote from: itf on June 08, 2023, 12:40:28 PMThat's why I have a spare, bought 2 in a mad panic and now wife can't go. I've asked a mate but if not it's yours. NB I probably won't be there until just before he's on.

Obviously I hope your mate can go with you, but if not: thankyouverymuch. Just before is fine, I work close by so I'll just saunter over if you end up passing it on.

Cheers!

iamcoop

In for Newcastle. Looking forward to this as the last couple of times I've seen him they've been finished shows, and whilst obviously excellent they were nowhere near as fun as the WIP muckaround show I saw years ago which is still the funniest stand up I've ever seen. Kitson with a mic and no material is always brilliant.

Pimhole

Tried to get Manchester, sold out within 10 minutes, been refreshing the page for Birmingham for an hour and a half, waiting for tickets to go on sale, god I really want an Afternoon Tea now.

DrGreggles

Too slow.
If a spare for Norwich appears, please give me a shout.

Pimhole

BIRMINGHAM WHEN

(edit: if these go on sale and sell out while I'm cycling home I swear to godddd)

Pimhole

After all that, I can't go.

Two very good* tickets available for Birmingham Midlands Arts Centre on 22nd June. Face value which is £17 for the two. PM me.

*centre, row A which may or may not be front row, the seating layout chart looked strange. It's at most three rows back.

Lordofthefiles

Fanfuckintastic, some bastad's given me Covid, probably gonna die.

Anyone interested in (up to) three tickets for Newcastle tomorrow night? - front row centre on the balcony.

Tiggles

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on June 14, 2023, 06:51:17 PMFanfuckintastic, some bastad's given me Covid, probably gonna die.

Anyone interested in (up to) three tickets for Newcastle tomorrow night? - front row centre on the balcony.

That's dead rotten. I've a couple of friends in Newcastle I could ask, if these are still going?

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: Tiggles on June 14, 2023, 07:22:51 PMThat's dead rotten. I've a couple of friends in Newcastle I could ask, if these are still going?

Yeah, I'm absolutely gutted.

Haven't had any takers yet so just let me know if your mates want them.

Tiggles

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on June 14, 2023, 07:29:02 PMYeah, I'm absolutely gutted.

Haven't had any takers yet so just let me know if your mates want them.

I can definitely take two of them off your hands. Shall I drop you a PM?

Lordofthefiles

Does anyone happen to have a spare ticket for Nottingham they're willing to sell please?

imitationleather

I'd say, all in all, I got about my £7 ticket price worth of comedy out of that.

Considering Tim Key was £23 and I definitely came away feeling I got my money's worth there that is a decent indication of how I felt about the relative quality between the two shows.

Still, it was a WIP, it got me out of the house, and I properly (and not just politely) laughed about three times so not bad really.

Tiggles

To be fair, he'd done everything possible to undermine any anticipation that it would be a proper "show". As he said, the gorgeousness of the venue really worked against him, it made people think he actually had something coherent. It definitely didn't feel like a WIP - he's not kidding about that.

For me, it was a really enjoyable 90 minutes - a few proper laughs, and some things that I can see him potentially turning into fully-fledged bits for when he finds what he wants to talk about, thematically. The bit he ran out to get his books for feels like it could be really rich. Reminded me of when he used to run a thing at The Hob, when he'd be trying out the feel of his stuff in between other acts, until one night he'd take over and start seeing how they worked together properly. I do enjoy seeing him wander off on ever-winding tangential side paths, only to come back to him main point; he makes it look so effortless.

Thank you @Lordofthefiles - I decided to use it as an excuse to visit my friends up in Newcastle. Hope you're feeling better!

itf

Quote from: Tiggles on June 08, 2023, 12:29:19 PMI'd be hugely interested in that spare. Gone in the time it took me to click the link.

My mate has changed his mind last minute, PM me if you still want my spare.

Tiggles

Quote from: itf on June 17, 2023, 12:19:52 PMMy mate has changed his mind last minute, PM me if you still want my spare.

I went on Thursday up in Newcastle so want to give others a chance to enjoy the good-natured comedy dollops - if no-one here wants it I bet the fydanielkitson account on Twitter will find a taker.

Thank you for the offer!

itf

Anyone for one spare for Manchester on Monday? (NB won't be there until about 6:45)

stridechicken

Quote from: itf on June 17, 2023, 04:13:39 PMAnyone for one spare for Manchester on Monday? (NB won't be there until about 6:45)

Yes please, if no one else has claimed this yet!

Tonight flew by. Good start, bit of a dip in the middle and then half an hour of proper belly laughs to wrap it up. It's just great to see him doing straight standup.

Far from the very best I've seen him but still streets ahead of his contemporaries. £7 was outrageous value.

About 20 people didn't turn up, so if you missed out on a ticket for another date and you're desperate to see him it might be worth turning up on the night and making friends with the people on the door.

itf

I saw the WIP in Hebden a few months back and it's striking that there's really not a lot new been added since then. An enjoyable evening as always, but I'm still not quite seeing how this is becoming a 'real' show!

Tiggles

I also saw Hebden #1 and he used 70% of the actual material from there, and tried out some other bits when I saw him in Newcastle last week.

It feels like the oral equivalent of writing ideas on post-it notes and rearranging them into different patterns to see what might work in terms of rhythm, as well as rewriting some. A really early part of the creative process.

He pretty much said that it probably wasn't going to turn into a show, although I can see some bits being used in service to a bigger whole if he finds a theme/ thread to pull his stories around.