Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:38:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Partridge - Big Beacon (New Book)

Started by Malcy, May 11, 2023, 05:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Third memoir out on 12th of October!

QuotePublished by Seven Dials on 12th October, the book reveals how "Norwich's favourite son and best broadcaster" triumphed "against the odds. TWICE."

Penned with the help of Neil Gibbons, Rob Gibbons and Steve Coogan, the memoir will relate how Partridge "heroically rebuilt his TV career, rising like a phoenix from the desolate wasteland of local radio to climb to the summit of Mount Primetime and regain the nationwide prominence his talent merits.

"But then something quite unexpected and moving happens, because Big Beacon also tells the story of a selfless man, driven to restore an old lighthouse to its former glory, motivated by nothing more than respect for a quietly heroic old building that many take for granted, which some people think is a metaphor for Alan himself even though it's not really for them to say.*

"Leaving his old life behind and relocating to a small coastal village in Kent, Alan battles through adversity, wins the hearts and minds of a suspicious community, and ultimately shows himself to be a quite wonderful man."

* The two strands will run in tandem, their narrative arcs mirroring each other to make the parallels betwe

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/news/7328/alan-partridge-writes-3rd-booken the two stories abundantly clear to the less able reader.

Glebe

Captain Z

Wow. And From the Oasthouse Series 2 Tranche 2 is on the horizon as well.

QDRPHNC

Fucking brilliant. I assume audiobook too.

holyzombiejesus

Wonder if his Coast-style travelogue will make an appearance around the same time?

Magnum Valentino

It's published by Seven Dials and I've never heard of them

buttgammon

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 11, 2023, 07:05:03 PMIt's published by Seven Dials and I've never heard of them

Someone I know has something forthcoming with them! It looks like 'Gwarn' Ronnie O'Sullivan is their most notable author at the moment.

DoesNotFollow

jamiefairlie

I'm obsessed with how he says certain words, like 'career' in this

gotmilk

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 11, 2023, 07:48:27 PMI'm obsessed with how he says certain words, like 'career' in this

It's very much a Gibbons era thing, these weird, Butterfield-esque vocal tics. Is there any precedent for that kind of affect in the Iannucci era? It always feels a bit much for me, but I appreciate a lot of people enjoy it.

BritishHobo

Bring it on! I loved the random mission nature of Nomad, so this should be a lot of fun.

McDead

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 11, 2023, 06:22:11 PMFucking brilliant. I assume audiobook too.

Absolutely banking on this, the Nomad and I, Partridge audiobooks were class.

mr. logic

Yep, audiobook already available for preorder on Audible.

poo

Alan Partridge + lighthouse. Perfect.

Dr Rock

The audio-books are pure Partridge Fentanyl! (while some of the TV stuff is more like prison skag).

spaghetamine

Got high hopes for this, the I Partridge and Nomad audiobooks are two of my favourite AP things ever.

buttgammon

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 12, 2023, 06:03:40 AMThe audio-books are pure Partridge Fentanyl! (while some of the TV stuff is more like prison skag).

Borrowing this analogy.

Dr Rock

Mobius

Can't wait!

Reckon it's taking the piss out of Clarkson and his farm or am I overthinking it

Quote from: gotmilk on May 11, 2023, 08:54:22 PMIt's very much a Gibbons era thing, these weird, Butterfield-esque vocal tics. Is there any precedent for that kind of affect in the Iannucci era? It always feels a bit much for me, but I appreciate a lot of people enjoy it.
I think he had his vocal idiosyncrasies during the Iannucci era but it was more mispronunciations - "Draclea", "Nesquilk" and the like.

QDRPHNC

The onnnnnly thing I'm a bit skeptical of is all the career stuff, feel like that was covered pretty well between I, Patridge and Nomad, but we shall see. I'm sure it will be good regardless, but I do wish the Gibbons would let Partridge stretch his wings a bit more. They seem to adhere to the subjects of career, travelogue and property quite a lot.

Ferris

^yes, similarly excited and appreciative of the Partridge audiobooks and Gibbons brothers input, but slightly puzzled by what is left to say about Alan (in any media format) from 1994 to present.

I'd love to see him expand a bit - a behind the scenes docco on the filming of the pilot of Swallow, perhaps, or some sort of The Trip style travelogue paid for by the Radio Times. Create more room for him to be a character and react to things, rather than keep him tied to the past. They've sort of done that with the lighthouse stuff I guess?

All that said: fully trust this incarnation, think it will be great, and am feeling very lucky and spoiled that latter-day partridge is as good as it is.

robhug

Always felt something like 'Motorhoming with Alan Partridge' would have been an excellent vehicle for his talents. Then Paul Merton did the exact same premise so that probably out the window.

McDead

They're packing so many new events into his past it's getting a bit overstuffed and unrealistic. It's like Dr who having all these millions of additional audio adventures where for some reason he sounds ancient, then he goes back to sounding normal again for, eg. Mawdryn Undead.

BritishHobo

I thought the blurb was meaning it's going to focus on climbing back from North Norfolk Digital to This Time, rather than focusing on older stuff again, but I may have misread. Hope that's the case, as I really liked stuff like the chapter in Nomad covering the events of the film.

markburgle

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 18, 2023, 11:40:02 AMI thought the blurb was meaning it's going to focus on climbing back from North Norfolk Digital to This Time, rather than focusing on older stuff again...

Yes, that very clearly is what it's about - the bit of his life he has yet to write about, half of which is new to us all so dunno what people are moaning about. It's true at the end of the vid he says it will also include anecdotes from throughout his life but that'll just be garnish, by the sounds. An inveterate chat-meister like Partridge will always have something new to say

The real question is - has he sold the Oasthouse now? Will the next lot of eps include him moving out?? These are the real questions

QDRPHNC