Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:12:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Key

Started by heathenpoet, May 18, 2023, 12:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heathenpoet

Saw Mulberry last night - first time seeing Tim Key live - and thought it was fantastic. Highly recommend catching him on this tour. Great mix of one-man-play and stand-up with his slightly confrontational audience interaction, often followed up with a cheeky grin to himself.

I don't think he has any commercial recordings of his live shows, are there any bootlegs floating around? Would love to see The Slutcracker and the original Edinburgh staging of PARTY, but probably wishful thinking. I have bought copies of his books, radio work and Partridge of course..!

Captain Crunch

I was keen but these sold out instantly near me.  He must have quite a following. 

heathenpoet

Quote from: Captain Crunch on May 18, 2023, 12:22:25 PMI was keen but these sold out instantly near me.  He must have quite a following. 

And me, I got lucky with a resale return. Seems some Soho Theatre dates left.

QDRPHNC

Would love to see him live, but can't imagine he'll ever come to Canada.

Tiggles

Saw Mulberry last year, loved it. Currently stalking returns for Manchester this weekend as I'd like to see it again before he finishes.

I wonder if he'll do anything in Edinburgh?

heathenpoet

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 18, 2023, 12:31:26 PMWould love to see him live, but can't imagine he'll ever come to Canada.

He was in Australia and Japan lately I believe so don't rule it out!

heathenpoet

Quote from: Tiggles on May 18, 2023, 12:34:18 PMSaw Mulberry last year, loved it. Currently stalking returns for Manchester this weekend as I'd like to see it again before he finishes.

I wonder if he'll do anything in Edinburgh?

Can anyone afford to go to Edinburgh though...

DrGreggles

Quote from: Tiggles on May 18, 2023, 12:34:18 PMI wonder if he'll do anything in Edinburgh?

He did Mulberry there last year.
Think it was announced late, as it was short runs at 2 different venues.

KennyMonster

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 18, 2023, 12:31:26 PMWould love to see him live, but can't imagine he'll ever come to Canada.

I've only seen him once and that was in Canada, (albeit at the Montreal festival ~2009 I think).

Ferris

I saw him sharing a curry with Steven merchant in the bengal lancer, Kentish town, circa 2011. Jokes were very thin on the ground and to be honest I wouldn't go see it again. 4/10.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: heathenpoet on May 18, 2023, 12:00:03 PMSaw Mulberry last night - first time seeing Tim Key live - and thought it was fantastic. Highly recommend catching him on this tour. Great mix of one-man-play and stand-up with his slightly confrontational audience interaction, often followed up with a cheeky grin to himself.

I don't think he has any commercial recordings of his live shows, are there any bootlegs floating around? Would love to see The Slutcracker and the original Edinburgh staging of PARTY, but probably wishful thinking. I have bought copies of his books, radio work and Partridge of course..!

I've just sent you a link to a set he did the weekend of the Queen's Jubilee in 2022, and if anyone else wants the link just pm me.

Des Wigwam

Saw Mulberry last year when he did Mach and thought it was great. Just seemed so confident and in control while still being quite vulnerable. Think he's got a great presence.

gilbertharding

He's worth a follow on Instagram - he posts a poem more or less daily.

Kankurette

I saw the Slutcracker a while back and loved it, and I'm not a big stand up person. I had no idea he was touring! What did he do at the end? Did he play the lava game?

SteveDave

I'm going to see him in a few weekends time at Ally (Alexandra) Pally (Palace). Can not wait.

Glebe

Absolutely wonderful as 'Sidekick' Simon Denton.

Led Souptin

Been a massive fan of key for some time (since cowards really), saw mulberry on saturday, i don't really get nervous but i absolutely crumbled when i got him to sign my cards afterwards.

super great show, really hope there will be a recording of it. Although, some of the most memerable bits were the crowd work.

"What's your girlfriend's name?..... Ronnie?..... I shouldn't think so." has really stuck with me for some reason.

Gurke and Hare

As well as everything else he does he's always a great podcast guest.

QDRPHNC

My kid loves the Late Night Poetry Programme, so I kept him from school one day a few months back so we could watch Tim Key's live Skype thing. It was just him and Isy Suttie talking while he farted around making Yorkshire puddings in his flat, it was great.

Ron Superior

Fucking love Tim. Saw Mulberry in Reading. The idea of doing an entire show about lockdown is ballsy, people have had enough, and it's mostly about how tough it was for him, but it was great just cos of how unique he is. Wish I'd bought one of his Mulberry caps.

SteveDave

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 18, 2023, 08:08:36 PMAs well as everything else he does he's always a great podcast guest.

This is true. He made Daisy May Cooper's "BOOKS ARE SHIT AND I LOVE BEING THICK" podcast almost listenable.

mjwilson

Seeing this on Sunday.

imitationleather

Seen him twice. Once as a short spot doing poetry and another for a proper tour he did a few years back. Really took me back how good he was because I wasn't really anticipating it.

paddy72

Been a big fan since We Need Answers/Cowards.

The Late Night Poetry Programme is well worth digging into if it's new to anyone here, five series in with a sixth on the way. There's very little actual poetry in it, and is predominantly about him being horrible to Tom Basden. Key and Basden are an excellent double act.

Annoyingly, I missed Mulberry when he was in town recently, but I don't doubt that he's great live.

Jerzy Bondov

He Used Thought as a Wife is a brilliant book, so many nice little turns of phrase in there. I've found it very influential on me.

Led Souptin

i know this is a very out of season request - but does anyone have a link to the poetry programme christmas special? Its the only one i can't seem to find and i know it exists because i definitely listened to it when it aired and tim mentions it in passing in series 4.

boki

I really liked the album he did with the string quartet, probably ought to dig a bit deeper.

Led Souptin

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 19, 2023, 09:46:36 AMHe Used Thought as a Wife is a brilliant book, so many nice little turns of phrase in there. I've found it very influential on me.

both books are oddly gripping - they sort of read like novels and tim's style of writing is really unique.

really hard to describe when asked what you're reading - its sort like a poetry book but the poems are sort of, not exactly bad but sort of intentionally bad but good, but its about also lockdown and its sort of novel but he's an unreliable narrator...

AliasTheCat

Am a fan for sure, he did a late performance of Mulberry as a fundraiser for Ukraine last year at the Arts Theatre and it was great. Saw him do (I think) MasterSlut at Edinburgh a good few years ago and used to see him and Tom Basden as Freeze! on a few mixed bills before that. I've always enjoyed his performance style, he's just someone that's able to make me laugh very easily. 

kitsofan34

Far and away the best show I saw last year at the Edinburgh Fringe. Effortlessly funny, feels so unbelievably easy for him.

A part of me wanted to see Mulberry again on tour but I'm a big proponent of protecting magical evenings like that one. Trying to strike lightning in a bottle twice can lead to sullying the initial evening as well.