Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:43:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Key

Started by heathenpoet, May 18, 2023, 12:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

I can highly recommend Fern Brady's book, Strong Female Character. Speaking of book, Key's new book is just out. I've only just got the last one though.

badaids

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 11, 2023, 04:20:21 PM"You've got to go with the flow of traffic, and the cars behind me are all going at 30mph so I will too." was great.

"Shush because, there is a caravan".  The delivery on this line is totally bizarre.

"He's just beeping me to make a political point".

jimboslice

Quote from: extraordinary walnuts on November 06, 2023, 01:53:16 PMFern Brady is not someone I'd previously been aware of, but I found her really funny in this. I must check out some of her other work.

Fern is great, that podcast is odd though. She's definitely had a load of money chucked at her to do it - some of the promotional videos for it  (which I can no longer find) were massively out of character.

AllisonSays

Quote from: jimboslice on November 07, 2023, 08:11:40 AMFern is great, that podcast is odd though. She's definitely had a load of money chucked at her to do it - some of the promotional videos for it  (which I can no longer find) were massively out of character.

Feels like a labgrown idea rather than an organic one to me, I agree that Fern is great though!

Kankurette

Does Key still play the lava game? He did that on the Slutcracker tour.
Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 06, 2023, 08:05:31 PMI can highly recommend Fern Brady's book, Strong Female Character. Speaking of book, Key's new book is just out. I've only just got the last one though.
I read it and it was very, very close to home. Her background is very different to mine and she's had a worse life than me, but a lot of her experiences as an autistic woman were all too familiar.

Cheers for the book recommendations everyone, I'll pick up the audiobook with my incoming Audible credit. I looked at some of her standup on YouTube and instantly became a fan.

I agree the podcast is strange, the concept seems kind of pointless. I guess it all depends on who the guest is. I'd never have clicked if Tim Key hadn't been on, but I'm glad I did. It was worth it just for his idea of
Spoiler alert
selling individual radishes at the checkout like Chupa Chups
[close]

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I believe Twisted are that channel whose videos used to keep showing up in the Facebook video drip feed of algorithmic wank where it's all EPIC SNACK BROS videos of recipes for deeply troubled adults where someone wraps an entire pack of bacon around a block of cheese and deep fries it in barbecue sauce

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Kankurette on November 07, 2023, 10:20:49 AMI read it and it was very, very close to home. Her background is very different to mine and she's had a worse life than me, but a lot of her experiences as an autistic woman were all too familiar.
I'm not autistic or a woman and I found it extremely eye-opening. It honestly had a big effect on me. I thought it would be all "ooh I'm dead autistic me, I watch lots of films" but it quickly made me feel like an cunt for thinking that. And it was funny as well.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on November 07, 2023, 02:05:20 PMI believe Twisted are that channel whose videos used to keep showing up in the Facebook video drip feed of algorithmic wank where it's all EPIC SNACK BROS videos of recipes for deeply troubled adults where someone wraps an entire pack of bacon around a block of cheese and deep fries it in barbecue sauce

Sounds pretty deece if I'm honest.

Yes, deece.

Toki

billyandthecloneasaurus

Tim Key is such a likable and naturally funny person, shame he wasted so much time writing pretty crap poetry.

AllisonSays

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on November 09, 2023, 08:48:44 PMTim Key is such a likable and naturally funny person, shame he wasted so much time writing pretty crap poetry.

Yeah I kind of agree. He's such a great performer though that the poems work as part of the set - I can't imagine buying a book of them to read at home.

Led Souptin

Quote from: AllisonSays on November 09, 2023, 08:55:01 PMYeah I kind of agree. He's such a great performer though that the poems work as part of the set - I can't imagine buying a book of them to read at home.

I haven't read his new one yet but I really recommend his two lockdown books. The poems become almost secondary to the narrative running through the books via almost entirely fictional conversations between tim and his close circle. They are really really funny and almost gripping at points.

If you're not a fan of poetry programme then i can imagine it might be harder to get on board with, but I do think they are brilliant 

AllisonSays

I will check them out on that recommendation. The thing that really made me notice him was No More Jockeys, during lockdown, which he's brilliant in - then I saw him on a bill in Hackney where he was by far the best comedian - so I'm open to being convinced!

It's just a weird act, really - he's not doing 'bad poetry' as a gag, he's not doing straight poetry, it's in a kind of inbetween space which is hard to figure out.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Led Souptin on November 09, 2023, 10:39:21 PMThe poems become almost secondary to the narrative running through the books via almost entirely fictional conversations between tim and his close circle.

The Daniel in some of the conversations is Kitson, right?

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 09, 2023, 11:17:02 PMThe Daniel in some of the conversations is Kitson, right?

Yes, and The Colonel is John Kearns.

dissolute ocelot

I like his poems which often have some great turns of phrase, and you can read lots of them on Instagram at jaunty angles, if you don't like books (or can't be bothered holding his books at jaunty angles). But he is one of those people who's just intrinsically funny, whether speaking, standing up, doing everyday tasks, messing around, or whatever, so the poetry is in a way secondary to that.

majava

My copy of Chapters arrived today. I'm really enjoying it.

Many of the poems have little associated conversations between him and Emily Juniper, sort of like a running commentary as Emily goes through what Tim's given her to work with. It's fun.

Led Souptin

The algorithim just gifted me tim on Jamie laing's podcast and it is delightful.

https://youtu.be/ZYQOqTT6nKQ?si=NohNVk7t3Bi6yYzL

Key really is on top form and its nice to hear him chat with a non comedian who seems absolutely enamoured with him. He's always good on rhlstp but there's actually some energy here and tim seems to have fun bouncing off of two hosts here.

Poor third lad has a bit of trouble keeping up, he's probably usually the funny one of the pod but really should have not tried to compete here.

Spoiler alert
yeah my friend's MUM
[close]
had me howling

Edit: okay I'm past the mid point now and they do become a little grating. Key still funny though

EDIT 2: By the end the hosts are absolutely insufferable. It does give chance for tim to go into poetry programme mode though. There's a point where one of them keeps interrupting key and claims it is comedy gold like "hancock's hour" and Tim's withering "half hour" response is fucking amazing.

cacciaguida

Not heard that podcast before but listened to Tim Key's ep

Jamie Laing plays Jamie Laing which is fine, and he serves as a perfectly fine good bag for Key

That other one, as you mention, seems to be there as the resident "funnyman" but is a fucking disgrace. Completely devoid of humour, way out of his league when talking to Key and doesn't serve a purpose like Jamie does. Fucking disgrace.

Milo

Laing is good in Murder in Successville which is all I know of him. His bit where he recounts how many people he's killed when he's trying to fit in with mobsters is one of my brain worms.

Spoiler alert
Five.
*respectful nods all round*
thousand.
Six hundred and twenty-one.
Native American Indians.
[close]

In fact, there's quite a few famous people I know only from Successville.

cacciaguida

Quote from: Milo on November 19, 2023, 05:16:29 PMLaing is good in Murder in Successville which is all I know of him. His bit where he recounts how many people he's killed when he's trying to fit in with mobsters is one of my brain worms.

Spoiler alert
Five.
*respectful nods all round*
thousand.
Six hundred and twenty-one.
Native American Indians.
[close]

In fact, there's quite a few famous people I know only from Successville.

Yep, he's perfectly endearing playing a posh twat

cacciaguida

And I mean that in the nicest possible way

SteveDave

Saw my great friend Tim Key do his "Chrimbo Bimbo" show at the Bill Murray last night. It must be hard if you're not feeling it 100% to do what he does. With normal stand-ups, you get the idea that they could (if they wanted) go into auto-pilot and just go through the motions. But with MGFTK, it's all about the moment.

Anyway, for anyone who's seen him do that show before, was it Michael Cera as his brother in the last video shown?

This was also brought to my attention

QDRPHNC

Wish he'd come here, he's one of the few people I really want to see live.

paddy72

Quote from: SteveDave on December 18, 2023, 11:05:43 PMThis was also brought to my attention

I had somehow missed this, thanks for posting!

I like how the dynamic between the two is basically the same as Poetry Programme, but in bleak Christmas form. Hurray!

Pimhole

Always thought that Tim Key's Late Night Poetry Programme is the closest thing we have to On Cinema at the Cinema. The dynamic between Tim & Tom is very Tim & Greg.