Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:07:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brian Butterfield Tour

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 14, 2023, 10:23:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

As I'm now going to be at the Fringe on the 5th, I can't use my Butterfield ticket for that date.

Any chance that someone who has booked for one of the later London gigs is interested in a swap for some reason?

If I can't find a swap, my ticket for the 5th will be available, but obviously still want to see him if I can.

neveragain

Quote from: neveragain on June 16, 2023, 09:01:22 PMI always got the impression those tweets were Serafinowiczowritten.

I could have said Serafinowritten. Damn!

madhair60

Quote from: notjosh on July 30, 2023, 10:57:36 AMAs I'm now going to be at the Fringe on the 5th, I can't use my Butterfield ticket for that date.

Any chance that someone who has booked for one of the later London gigs is interested in a swap for some reason?

If I can't find a swap, my ticket for the 5th will be available, but obviously still want to see him if I can.

I've got one for the 25th and wouldn't mind swapping; I'm not sure how it would work?

notjosh

Quote from: madhair60 on July 30, 2023, 02:12:00 PMI've got one for the 25th and wouldn't mind swapping; I'm not sure how it would work?

I'll DM you!

notjosh

Quote from: notjosh on July 30, 2023, 10:57:36 AMAs I'm now going to be at the Fringe on the 5th, I can't use my Butterfield ticket for that date.

Not been able to swap this, and also I've just checked and apparently I booked TWO tickets. So if anyone wants to take them off my hands for this Saturday, £45.50, just drop me a DM.

Bush Hall, London, 7.30pm.

mikerus

I have one extra ticket for this tonight if anyone is keen? Up on the ticket resale site here with the reference 'bald' - https://crosstownconcerts.seetickets.com/rd/event/brian-butterfield/bush-hall/2686682

Special low low price of just 10 great british pounds for my bald friends at cab.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm just back from it now, I had no idea what to expect, especially after seeing his Elvis show at the Soho Theatre, but this was honestly one of the best shows I've ever seen. Almost two hours long and with a certain amount of audience participation, but it made me laugh so much that even when there was the occasional dodgy pun it still had me grinning away. I was with four friends and they all loved it as well and felt the same way, it almost feels surreal because I just wasn't expecting it to be so great, but it was a really tightly scripted, beautifully constructed show, complete with videos and powerpoint madness and a perfect ending. Perhaps it benefitted from going in with low expectations, and I kind of don't want to over hype it, but, um, yeah, I absolutely loved that to pieces, 5/5 and all that kind of thing.

idunnosomename

glad to hear to hear he delivered. are any going to be pro-shot?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 06, 2023, 12:34:19 AMglad to hear to hear he delivered. are any going to be pro-shot?

Afraid I've no idea, but given that the tour has sold out at most venues I'd be surprised if he didn't do more dates next year, and then maybe it'll be recorded.

Edit: There was one bit which I imagine most people on here will especially like, though I'll put it behind spoiler tags so not to spoil it for anyone who does have tickets:
Spoiler alert
At one point there's a short video advert for Buttflix, Brian's new streaming service, where he's managed to obtain eight tv series, and the joke is that they're The Cosby Show, Louis, House Of Cards, This Morning, Rosenne, two others along similar lines, and then right at the end in what was almost a blink and you'll miss it moment, Derek was the final show on the channel.
[close]

Rev+

Dunno, doesn't really chime with SMBH's opinion really.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Rev+ on August 06, 2023, 08:54:04 PMDunno, doesn't really chime with SMBH's opinion really.

Yeah, that's outrageously over the top!*

*I feel like this might be too much of an in-joke, so feel the need to explain that the link above is my site, it's something I used to update daily but nowadays I only write reviews if it's something I either really loved or really hated.

Small Man Big Horse

Tickets for another London date, August 26th, have just gone on sale: https://crosstownconcerts.seetickets.com/event/brian-butterfield/bush-hall/2686686

Also, Serafinowicz posted my review on the Butterfield facebook page, and I think that's it for me, I'm very happy to never write a review again and end on a high!

Minami Minegishi

For fucks' sake Peter PLEASE come to Ireland!

The Mollusk

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 08, 2023, 10:10:37 AMTickets for another London date, August 26th, have just gone on sale: https://crosstownconcerts.seetickets.com/event/brian-butterfield/bush-hall/2686686

Also, Serafinowicz posted my review on the Butterfield facebook page, and I think that's it for me, I'm very happy to never write a review again and end on a high!

Aw that's ace! I tweeted him years ago to say cheers for his Solid Steel mix of hauntological music commemorating the Boards of Canada comeback album and he replied being very grateful and appreciative. What a nice man.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 08, 2023, 12:15:43 PMAw that's ace! I tweeted him years ago to say cheers for his Solid Steel mix of hauntological music commemorating the Boards of Canada comeback album and he replied being very grateful and appreciative. What a nice man.

It really does seem that he is, a friend was telling me at the weekend that after the Elvis show at the Soho Theatre he met Peter and he was incredibly friendly and very happy to have a chat.

Just to back up the "Peter's a nice bloke" thing, I had a brief interaction with Peter and his brother James (who I believe runs the Brian Butterfield Twitter account) back in 2012 when Peter had a short series of shows on 6Music.  I'd made a little YouTube video for one of the Butterfield sketches he'd done for the show, and James somehow found out about it, DM'd me on Twitter to say thanks for doing it, shortly followed by another DM from Peter himself saying nice things and how he appreciated it. 

So, based on that alone I'm saying the Serafinowiczes are a GBOL.

neveragain

This sounds like the show Alan Partridge's Stratagem should have been. Really can't wait.

Minami Minegishi

Brian Butterfield got back to me and said he is likely going to be bringing his business talk to Ireland next year which is AAAAGES away but something to look forward to.

Duckula

I was 50/50 on going after impulse buying tickets but the impressions sounds good, I was worried the character couldn't stretch to a 2 hour show

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on August 08, 2023, 07:47:42 PMJust to back up the "Peter's a nice bloke" thing, I had a brief interaction with Peter and his brother James (who I believe runs the Brian Butterfield Twitter account) back in 2012 when Peter had a short series of shows on 6Music.  I'd made a little YouTube video for one of the Butterfield sketches he'd done for the show, and James somehow found out about it, DM'd me on Twitter to say thanks for doing it, shortly followed by another DM from Peter himself saying nice things and how he appreciated it. 

So, based on that alone I'm saying the Serafinowiczes are a GBOL.

That's great to hear, I think if he ever gets cancelled now I'd be truly gutted!

Quote from: Duckula on August 09, 2023, 06:48:01 PMI was 50/50 on going after impulse buying tickets but the impressions sounds good, I was worried the character couldn't stretch to a 2 hour show

I had similar concerns and no idea what to expect, and wondered if it'd just be an hour long, but really did love it, as did the friends I was with (one of whom is going again on the 26th). Again, I don't want to overhype it but I'd definitely go along hoping it'll at least be quite good and hopefully you'll enjoy it a fair bit.

chocky909

I have tickets for the show tomorrow but train strikes are happening too. I can get back home using tube and buses but might be problematic for others.

Minami Minegishi

If anyone has a couple of spare tickets for Sheffield going I would snag them off you.

Anyone who has been, how long is the show overall? As in, if it's 8pm start, what time train is safe to be catching?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: The Always Red Society on September 08, 2023, 10:11:35 AMAnyone who has been, how long is the show overall? As in, if it's 8pm start, what time train is safe to be catching?

Each half was (roughly) an hour, with a twenty minute interval, so you'll probably be finished by 10.30pm unless he's cut it back in any considerable way.

BritishHobo

That really was excellent. Packed full of stuff, not a minute wasted, and the whole thing flew by. I was worried how the character might translate off-screen but it felt exactly the same, and the different ways he made use of the premise were superb. Constantly switching it up with different sections and styles, but always in ways that allowed the character to work well as we already know him. Just a properly great, cohesive show.

It was slightly hampered (or enhanced, depending on your view) by the venue's tech issues, which meant we didn't get to see one of the pre-recorded adverts, and there was a constant edge of tension as to whether any given joke would appear onscreen in time with his delivery. Thankfully it largely seemed to be an issue inbetween visual jokes (presumably thanks to knackering work from the techie), so didn't really impact anything else.

Also still a bit baffled by how many people still don't seem to understand performance. In the end bit, the
Spoiler alert
very clearly scripted emotional climax to this scripted show, quite a few audience members seemed to think "Ah yes, this is the bit where I step in to inspire Brian and save the day!" One guy tried to start a chant in a moment of scripted silence and nearly fucked up the timing of the entire bit.
[close]
Bizarre.

madhair60

any CaBers going to the London show on 25th?

IsavedLatin

24th for me, sorry to miss you!