Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:02:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wake Up Babe, new shitty Only Fools and Horses merch Just dropped

Started by jenna appleseed, June 21, 2023, 11:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 22, 2023, 01:39:10 PMIn related David Jason news, he's in a new show called David and Jay's Touring Toolshed

https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/2023/sir-david-jason-jay-blades-touring-toolshed

Of course, Sir David was first choice to play Jay Blades, but had to drop out due to a scheduling clash at each recording.

Fambo Number Mive

Whitehouse has also told the Scum that he would love to do a TV version of the stage show.

Quote'Our story involves both Granddad and Uncle Albert, Del Boy meeting Raquel and Rodney and Cassandra getting married so we basically condense the seven television series into two hours and 10 minutes.'

The OFAH Kelvin timeline?

Alberon

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think OFAH has already been a TV show.

JamesTC

grainger

idunnosomename

Only Fools and Horses: Generations
Tom Bennett and David Jason team up and then David Jason falls off a bridge and dies or something so he buries him under some rocks. Also the Trotters van gets destroyed

Fambo Number Mive

Only Fools and Horses Voyager where the Trotters get stuck in West London for 7 years, unable to find their way home.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Alberon on June 23, 2023, 09:33:37 AMCorrect me if I'm wrong but I think OFAH has already been a TV show.

It's basically this:

But with more ponies in pockets and less suitcases in vans.

grainger

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 23, 2023, 12:20:05 PMOnly Fools and Horses Voyager where the Trotters get stuck in West London for 7 years, unable to find their way home.

And they easily defeat the Borg on a regular basis

TheMonk

They don't call him Nicholas "Don't You Dare Make A Bobblehead Of Me Or I'll Sue" Lyndhurst for nothing.

frajer

Alberon

Alberon

Del Boy falls through Quark's bar and Morn makes a face.

Indomitable Spirit

Quote from: TheMonk on June 23, 2023, 02:58:46 PMThey don't call him Nicholas "Don't You Dare Make A Bobblehead Of Me Or I'll Sue" Lyndhurst for nothing.

You'll find even Lyndhurst has a price, but on one condition...

TheMonk

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on June 23, 2023, 03:52:15 PMYou'll find even Lyndhurst has a price, but on one condition...

That it looks more like Stan Laurel?

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on June 23, 2023, 03:52:15 PMYou'll find even Lyndhurst has a price, but on one condition...

Kelsey Grammer through gritted teeth: "Oh Nicholas, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE."

Russ L

This definitely captures both the "fool" and the "horse" aspects.

JamesTC

Quote from: TheMonk on June 23, 2023, 02:58:46 PMThey don't call him Nicholas "Don't You Dare Make A Bobblehead Of Me Or I'll Sue" Lyndhurst for nothing.

boki

Nice to see him, to see him nice.

grainger

NOT LEGIT: does not say "lovely jubbly" on it

frajer

Tap my head and see it bobble
I'll fetch a few quid on eBay
Cos if you want some old tat
Plastic painted gold twat
Then buddy, step this way

Terry Torpid

Apparently "Lovely Jubbly" (or more properly "Lubbly Jubbly") come from an advert slogan for some fizzy orange pop in the 50s. Calypso owns the rights to the brand name, but it's an ice lolly now. I wonder if they could sue the BBC, like when McDonald's went after every restaurant with Mc in the name.

grainger

Aero used to use the slogan "lovely bubbly", which I think was trying to invoke OFAH (or at least the familarity of the parent phrase). I was once bought some very cheap bubble bath (pound shop, probably) that also used the slogan - Aero could have sued them.

idunnosomename

Speaking of copyright, did this ever get posted? Its the case Shazam productions won against a hooky dining experience (PARODY!) last year

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/IPEC/2022/1379.html

Goes into "lovely jubbly" etc

JamesTC

Quoted. Item 5 (Feature 34) - The use of Lovely Jubbly. This is a highly distinctive phrase closely associated with Del Boy. It first appeared in Series 6 (Yuppy Love) and appears many times thereafter. I have already accepted that it was coined in this form by Mr Sullivan. The Defendants admit taking it from OFAH and incorporating it in the September Script.

They could probably have argued that it was a brand name so Sullivan can claim no legal recourse but it probably isn't worth it.

Interesting to see part of the argument is that they insist it will drive people away from the musical.

Catalogue Trousers

I've just checked, and astoundingly there does not yet appear to be an official Del Boy Funko Pop. Gap in the market, right there.

idunnosomename

QuoteMr Clark provided some helpful background material on some of phrases used in OFAH such as "lovely jubbly" and "cushty" derived from documents consulted by him in the course of writing his books:

a. "Lovely Jubbly" appears in the Oxford English Dictionary. The entry states that it was "coined by John Sullivan ... as a characteristic expression of Derek Del Boy Trotter". John Sullivan says he adapted it from the phrase "Lubbly Jubbly" which he heard as a child in the 1950s when it was used to advertise a frozen orange drink. It is used frequently in the popular press in relation to OFAH and Del Boy.

b. "Cushty" was not invented by John Sullivan. He had heard the word used in the markets as a child. He believed it was used by British Soldiers in India as a word meaning an easy ride or a good thing. The Oxford English Dictionary identifies other possible etymologies. However, whatever its origins, it was very infrequently used prior to 1981 but was used frequently by Del Boy in OFAH. Since appearing in OFAH it has been used often in the popular press in connection with OFAH.

interesting that "lovely jubbly" could be considered separate from "lubbly jubbly"