Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:14:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

And Did Those Feet, With Alan Partridge [split topic]

Started by The Coat hanger, June 21, 2023, 10:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Coat hanger

Coogan is one busy guy, new book, new audible series and now this? He is pushing Alan hard.

Dr Rock

jamiefairlie

Quote from: kalowski on April 06, 2019, 03:29:25 PMPoML and SI are some the weakest Partridge for me. The worst parts of TTWAP were the filmed "segment" bits, and that's basically what the documentaries were (and unfortunately this one will be).

No you are quite wrong. PoML and SI are some the very best Partridge for me. The better parts of TTWAP were the filmed "segment" bits, and that's basically what the documentaries were (and hopefully this one will be).

Mobius

what is And Did Those Feet this thread is disconcertingly vague

13 schoolyards

shoulders

Feels harsh to go in on a 4 years old post but Jesus stop getting Alan wrong

Dr Rock

How is a four year old post being quoted in a new thread?

Snrub

I'm guessing this series is never coming right? Announced four years ago, surprised there has never been any official update on it - aside from Coogan using it as an excuse to get out of a driving fine.

Mobius

Ok I guess someone posted in a 4 year old thread and Barry split it off

No wonder every article I googled was from 2019

Gurke and Hare

Was this the "Alan investigates Brexit" thing? That never turned up did it?

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mobius on June 22, 2023, 09:26:57 AMOk I guess someone posted in a 4 year old thread and Barry split it off

No wonder every article I googled was from 2019

Yes.  In situations like that I may leave the new post attached for context, but the previous thread was started by a perma-banned psycho, and I'm having issues keeping two of those guys away at the minute.

centristmelt

I hope this is better (and different) than Cunk On Britain

markburgle

Quote from: centristmelt on June 22, 2023, 01:02:06 PMI hope this is better (and different) than Cunk On Britain

I want it to be both better and exactly the same. I don't know how it'd work and that's what's so exciting

Dr Rock

Chapter 1: The Quest Begins

I found myself at the crossroads of inspiration and ambition, armed with a dog-eared copy of William Blake's "Jerusalem." It struck me, in a moment of deluded grandeur, that I should embark on my own quest, following in the footsteps of those ancient feet.

"Did those feet in ancient time, walk upon England's mountains green?" I recited, my voice filled with misplaced poetic flair. "I shall trace their path, unearthing the hidden truths of this great land!"

Little did I know that my enthusiasm far exceeded my grasp of the poem's deeper meaning. But with my resolve unshaken, I saw myself as a modern-day pilgrim, a heroic figure on a journey of enlightenment (albeit with a regional radio show).

Chapter 2: The Perils of Interpretation

As I set forth on my foolhardy quest, I encountered numerous challenges that tested both my determination and my understanding of Blake's work. From mistaking a molehill for a sacred site to confusing a caravan park for a mystical retreat, my journey was fraught with unintentional idiocy.

"I shall uncover the ancient secrets of England!" I declared confidently, only to realize I was standing in a museum café, surrounded by bemused visitors. A crimson blush crept up my cheeks as I quickly made my exit, my dignity in tatters.

Chapter 3: A Fool's Redemption

Despite the eye-rolling and sighs of my loyal sidekick, Lynn, I remained steadfast in my commitment to the quest. Lynn, in her infinite wisdom, attempted to guide me towards a more reasonable pursuit, but I would not be swayed. I was a man on a mission, a poet of the airwaves, and nothing would deter me.

Chapter 4: Lessons in Humility

With each misstep and awkward encounter, I began to understand that my quest had evolved into a journey of self-discovery. It became less about deciphering the mysteries of Blake's Jerusalem and more about unraveling the layers of my own flawed nature.

Lynn, ever patient, gently reminded me, "Alan, perhaps you should set your sights on something more achievable."

But I dismissed her sensible advice, for I was determined to prove that within me lay the spirit of a true adventurer, albeit one prone to misguided ambition and accidental embarrassment.

As my quest continued, I learned humility, laughed at my own follies, and embraced the joy of being an unwitting fool. And perhaps, in my own clumsy way, I had stumbled upon a truth of my own: that sometimes the greatest journeys are not the ones we set out to take, but the ones that take us on unexpected detours of self-discovery.

This was my story, my attempt to walk in the footsteps of ancient feet, and although my quest may have been misguided, it was a quest I would not trade for anything in the world.
User
Chapter 5: Epiphany and Acceptance

As my quest drew to a close, a newfound clarity emerged from the haze of my delusions. I began to question the true meaning behind Blake's "Jerusalem." Was it a profound masterpiece or simply an elaborate tapestry of gibberish? In that moment of revelation, I made a choice.

"Blake, old chap, your Jerusalem is mostly gibberish," I admitted to myself with a wry smile. "Perhaps I should have stayed home and watched a nice documentary instead."

And so, with a light heart and a tinge of self-deprecating humor, I accepted the folly of my grandiose ambitions. The quest had served its purpose, teaching me humility, the importance of laughter, and the recognition of my own limitations.

But in the end, it was not the destination that mattered, but the journey itself. I had traversed the treacherous terrain of my own ego, stumbling along the way, but emerging with a newfound appreciation for life's quirks and the beauty of embracing one's own idiocy.

With a final chuckle, I bid farewell to my misguided quest, knowing that the true adventure lies not in conquering mountains or deciphering ancient poems, but in the acceptance of our own delightful imperfections.

And so, dear reader, I close this chapter of my life with a smile and a nod to the absurdity that surrounds us all. For even in the most misguided quests, there lies a glimmer of wisdom and the reminder that it is in our foolishness that we find our truest selves.

Farewell, Jerusalem. It was nice knowing you, but I think we'll part ways here. On to new adventures, where the journey is just as important as the destination, and where I can revel in the delightful idiocy that is uniquely mine.

Dr Rock

Small Man Big Horse

Has it been announced what the next tv series with Alan is? I know the third book is in the works, and the podcast is going well, but has another series of This Time been announced? Or have they hinted at doing something different with the character? Or even maybe give him a rest for a year or two?

Snrub

Think This Time is done. In either Oasthouse 2 or Stratagem it was confirmed "in universe" - might be wrong though.

This is the only other announced TV Alan project but seems unlikely now. Sometimes Alan stuff just appears out of nowhere though. 

chip

Another perfectly crafted, comedically awkward project title. Perfect for Alan.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Snrub on June 29, 2023, 08:33:40 AMThink This Time is done. In either Oasthouse 2 or Stratagem it was confirmed "in universe" - might be wrong though.

This is the only other announced TV Alan project but seems unlikely now. Sometimes Alan stuff just appears out of nowhere though. 

Thanks for that, I gave up on Stratagem and have yet to listen to Oasthouse 2, though definitely will do soon. And I've no issue with a bit of a break, I've enjoyed everything apart from the live show but perhaps a year or two off will give them time to think up something fresh and original for the character.

There was an interview with Partridge in character in a newspaper a year or two ago, the conceit being that supposedly Steve Coogan was interviewing him, and he commented there that he had left 'This Time'.

BritishHobo

If I remember rightly, a big part of the conceit of Oasthouse series 2 (tranche 2) was Alan
Spoiler alert
trying (and failing) to get his North Norfolk digital slot back.
[close]

Somewhat disappointed with Oasthouse 2 because every episode involves Alan nearly dying (drowning, trapped in cave, confronted by gangster, haunted by ghost, trapped in attic).

Made it quite hard to use as a sleep aid, I've had to use Norfolk North Norfolk Digital

Magnum Valentino

It was weirdly upsetting, I remember it leaving me in a weird mood.

Has anyone mapped the journey in Nomad? Every time I listen to it I make a half arsed go at collecting the data points but never follow through (eyo)

Ferris

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on June 30, 2023, 02:57:49 PMHas anyone mapped the journey in Nomad? Every time I listen to it I make a half arsed go at collecting the data points but never follow through (eyo)

He seems to follow the A140 for the first bit with a few loops around London to Pinner/Heathrow. I'd e interested in seeing a map also

Am in the process of creating this map and just noticed Nomad features the weird quirk of included "sidekick" Simon Denton but also having Alan living at Denton Abbey, a name which he must have chosen.

Mobius

I mentioned that on here years ago and frankly no one gave a shit

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they put that in there just to fuck with the obsessives (i.e. us).

Well did any of us obsessives ever get to the bottom of why Lynn Benfield is never referred to by name?

RIGHT THEN

Happy 2500 (day) anniversary to this top top book.

Here's a Google map with every named location.
Footsteps of my Father walk (that's a clickable link)

Excuses:
  • This only describes FOMF, not the walks before, or the car journey after
  • Alan is an unreliable narrator, so I suspect he may have used non-pedestrian transport for some of the more outrageous distances (He's nearly fifty!)
  • Some given addresses are fictional (usually the number and street), conjecture has been applied
  • Weirdly, Alan's childhood home of 12 Cecil Road is real but the book says it was demolished to make way for a business park.
  • Alan says his gash prevents him from walking more than five miles a day between East Grinstead and Royal Tunbridge Wells. This has been used to estimate daily distance
  • Despite this, Alan travels all the way to Folkstone in a delerium, and then on to Dungeness. Considering he was down to three miles a day before this section it should have taken many weeks
  • Gibbonses definitely rushed the last section from Gatwick onwards, almost completely unrealistic
  • Alan seems to have a preference for walking on the road, but mentions he has Google maps on his phone, so either route may be used
  • References to passing days become unreliable after Gatwick
  • Tech issue: I was trying to connect all the stops but Google limits the number of stops in a route and the number of routes on a map

If you'd like to help me with another pointless comedy project please have a look at my Sunday Format playlist