Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:43:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what is your opinion of "Red Dwarf"

Started by madhair60, July 28, 2023, 09:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

i've always been very down on Red Dwarf and only really held the first two serieses in any regard. however I have decided that I should develop a more informed hatred of the show so i am rewatching from series 3 through to The Promised Land, no ifs ands or buts, I am going to slog through it.

so I was wondering how people feel about this show in general, what's your history with it. I am expecting i will find it much more tolerable than before and possibly even "funny", but time will tell. How do you feel about it, the different eras and such. BBC then Dave.

tell me for fuck's sake.

Fambo Number Mive

I remember really enjoying it when I was a child and finding it funny, then when I was older I read all four of the novels which I thought were excellent and edgier than the Tv series.

I rewatched a number of episodes recently and whilst I enjoyed the storylines I didn't really find them funny, it felt like watching a straight sci fi drama.

I do find Lister quite annoying, which probably doesn't help.

JamesTC

My earliest memory is receiving Series III Byte 1 on VHS.

It has been my favourite TV show since as far back as I can remember. My dad once joked that I've watched it since I was a baby. I did make it out of the womb in time for Back to Reality, which was timely.

I hope you go in with an open mind and get some enjoyment out of Series III-VI at the very least.

Cold Meat Platter

Not everyone who watches Red Dwarf is a paedophile but 100% of paedophiles watch Red Dwarf.

bgmnts

I enjoy the characters and universe and I do think there are quite impressive and fun sci-fi concepts worked into a brief comedy half hour.

I prefer the Alien-esque grim grey corporate prison nature of the first season more than any other season and I honestly think the first two books are funnier and more interesting than any of the show.

Also Rimmer is one of my favourite fictional characters.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 28, 2023, 09:59:48 PMI remember really enjoying it when I was a child and finding it funny, then when I was older I read all four of the novels which I thought were excellent and edgier than the Tv series.

This

Quote from: Fambo Number MiveI rewatched a number of episodes recently and whilst I enjoyed the storylines I didn't really find them funny, it felt like watching a straight sci fi drama.

Less this, I think. Been a while since I watched any but I know the early stuff so well I'm not sure I have to. It's etched into my memory like classic simpsons. I'm sure if I did rewatch it, I'd be content to give up earlier than when I watched it knowing it was going downhill.

Pink Gregory

No particularly original opinions here but definitely one of those ones where you rinse the DVDs (Just the Shows I-IV in my case) as a teen because you haven't got much else to do, but not in an active watching kind of way, which makes it difficult to separate from that in a way.

Definitely a sign of ageing when you inevitably decide to prefer the first two series, though.

Fambo Number Mive

I do feel a bit sorry for Rimmer, especially given his upbringing and how fucked up he is. He's an uptight cunt, but I'd rather spend time with him than Lister.

Lister's obsession with curries gets a bit much at times. I remember as a child thinking curries must be the ultimate comfort food, these days I find them a bit tedious really.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 28, 2023, 10:16:11 PMNo particularly original opinions here but definitely one of those ones where you rinse the DVDs (Just the Shows I-IV in my case) as a teen because you haven't got much else to do, but not in an active watching kind of way, which makes it difficult to separate from that in a way.

Definitely a sign of ageing when you inevitably decide to prefer the first two series, though.

Hard to tell if you're older than me here. I feel I rinsed them on video as a kid - first couple of series bought as stocking fillers as already aired but later taped off the telly.

oggyraiding

I watched it for the first time a couple of years ago. Only got four episodes in. I find Chris Barrie effortlessly funny, and Craig Charles is likeable. Didn't like the Cat. It didn't seem bad I just couldn't be arsed with it.

superthunderstingcar

The first book is brilliant.

The second book has its moments, helped by being based on some of the best of the TV series.

The third and fourth books are smegging awful.

Oh, the TV series? Starts OK, gets really good for a while, then got shit, then got axed. That's the BBC stuff, there. I know they've done a load more of it on Dave since, but I find I can't deal with all the characters being old. Red Dwarf belongs to the 1990s.

madhair60

one thing i like about Red Dwarf is the inordinate amount of chronicling of it that it has, like documentaries for every series, commentaries for every episode, etc. it's a downright bizarre amount of "making of" content, more than any other UK sitcom I can think of. And I like that because I find that sort of thing bleedin interesting, actually.

JamesTC

Quote from: madhair60 on July 28, 2023, 10:21:43 PMone thing i like about Red Dwarf is the inordinate amount of chronicling of it that it has, like documentaries for every series, commentaries for every episode, etc. it's a downright bizarre amount of "making of" content, more than any other UK sitcom I can think of. And I like that because I find that sort of thing bleedin interesting, actually.

After you finish Series X, watch the documentary on it. It is shockingly honest on how much went wrong behind the scenes and all the disagreements. A very entertaining documentary.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: oggyraiding on July 28, 2023, 10:19:30 PMI watched it for the first time a couple of years ago. Only got four episodes in. I find Chris Barrie effortlessly funny, and Craig Charles is likeable. Didn't like the Cat. It didn't seem bad I just couldn't be arsed with it.

I think S1 cat is basically a cartoonish cut-out that involves Danny John-Jules adopting a pose and screaming 'eyyyyyyy' most of the time. Despite always being a vain shallow punchline I think they give Danny a lot more to work with before the rot sets back in and everyone becomes cartoonish.

madhair60

Quote from: JamesTC on July 28, 2023, 10:24:20 PMAfter you finish Series X, watch the documentary on it. It is shockingly honest on how much went wrong behind the scenes and all the disagreements. A very entertaining documentary.

yes! this is actually one of the reasons I am doing this, so i can get context for that doc which I've heard many good things about.

ros vulgaris

I still think the first Holly was the funniest character. It lost something when he left.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 28, 2023, 10:25:59 PMI think S1 cat is basically a cartoonish cut-out that involves Danny John-Jules adopting a pose and screaming 'eyyyyyyy' most of the time. Despite always being a vain shallow punchline I think they give Danny a lot more to work with before the rot sets back in and everyone becomes cartoonish.

Awww but

"FISH!"
"today's fish is trout a la creme, enjoy your meal"
"FISH!"
"FISH!"
"FISH!"
"FISH!"
"I will!"

idunnosomename

i think it's smegging brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pink Gregory

How many of you knew Craig Charles from Robot Wars rather than Red Dwarf

Toki

Anything after series 6 is embarrassing crap. That aside, it's my favourite show.

Cat's best moments are in 4 and 5.

Oosp

Quote from: madhair60 on July 28, 2023, 09:51:29 PMi've always been very down on Red Dwarf and only really held the first two serieses in any regard. however I have decided that I should develop a more informed hatred of the show so i am rewatching from series 3 through to The Promised Land, no ifs ands or buts, I am going to slog through it.

so I was wondering how people feel about this show in general, what's your history with it. I am expecting i will find it much more tolerable than before and possibly even "funny", but time will tell. How do you feel about it, the different eras and such. BBC then Dave.

tell me for fuck's sake.

This feels familiar! I  hear ya... this was me in March

Quote from: Oosp on March 10, 2023, 07:57:11 PMTwice the Red Dwarf I could ever want = no Red Dwarf whatsoever.

Literally, wtf is good about this show? Can anyone explain it? Is it meant to be shit + that's why people like it? Are there some golden episodes in the archives that might change my mind?

Quote from: Oosp on March 10, 2023, 08:25:54 PMI rather think not. I've put in the hours with this show + I'm not one to post in bad faith.  Much as I hate to be That Guy, my genuine bewilderment stands. It's always smacked of Emperor's New Clothes to me. I want to enjoy it but cannot find a way in.

Yeah, I know, poor me, etc

Quote from: Oosp on March 11, 2023, 01:09:00 PMNever got past S3/S4. Have tried numerous times. Working through S1 again now and struggling but determined to get over the hump. Would be handy to skip a few, cos a) life's too short and b) RD has never made me laugh.

Although I did actually get a chuckle out of the 6000 PE teachers line, yesterday

Oh, how the time flies.
I seem to recall you enjoying Red Dwarf X though??

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

I still have a lot of fondness for everything up to the Rimmer departure in Series 7. There are strong points and weak episodes, of course, but it's a show I can imagine forcing my son to watch one day.

DrGreggles

I really like s1-2, and s3-6 were decent (declining slightly with each series).

S7 was shite. Really fucking shite. I know s8 was too, but s7 was such a steep drop in quality from what had gone before. So much of it had no jokes at all. At least they tried to put jokes in s8.

Seen bits since then, but nothing particularly good or memorable.

idunnosomename

my favourite episode is when the crap CG T-Rex does a big poo

ros vulgaris

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 28, 2023, 10:34:34 PMHow many of you knew Craig Charles from Robot Wars rather than Red Dwarf

Me. I was only a kid in the 90s, like.

Consignia

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 28, 2023, 10:34:34 PMHow many of you knew Craig Charles from Robot Wars rather than Red Dwarf

I only know of Craig Charles from Takeshi's Castle.

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 28, 2023, 10:30:37 PMAwww but

"FISH!"
"FISH!"
"FISH!"
"FISH!"
"FISH!"
"I will!"

That bit is legitimately ace.

I'm not that fucking young. I've got grey hair manifesting on one side of my body.

idunnosomename

i remember a long period in my life when we could have no more Red Dwarf because Craig Charles was a rapist. alas he was not a rapist.

Sebastian Cobb

Actually on the behind the scenes stuff, I think it was one of the early smeg outs videos that blew my mind in special effects and that. There's that Polymorph ep where it turns into a kebab, then strangles lister and Kryten is trying to save him and Rimmer wanders in and it looks like they're shagging then it pops out the bin as a ginormous monster which was a really good and ambitious practical effect for a BBC sitcom. And the bit they show as the outtake is just some lanky runner failing to stab Rimmer on the head with the tounge part on a foot-long stick.