Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Garth Marenghi's Incarcerat

Started by bgmnts, September 05, 2023, 06:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

For any fans of TerrorTome, this will be on audible on 31st October!

QuoteGarth Marenghi - Frightnerman, Darkscribe, Doomsage - is back with volume two of his TerrorTome.

Horror novelist Nick Steen is abducted and imprisoned at Nulltec, a shadowy technological research facility with excellent conference parking, concealed deep on the Stalkford Downs. There he is observed, tested and 'interfered with' (physically) by a team of scientific experts led by Dr Barbara Nullman, determined to probe and 'nullify' his escaping imagination . . .

bgmnts

This will also be released in regular book form.

Rolf Lundgren

I've not finished TerrorTome yet but Holness is really good at this and hope this becomes a long running thing.

Magnum Valentino

I'm over halfway through and Terrortome is really making me laugh. The voice of the typewriter is funny enough but its habit of describing things in threes has bypassed thinking straight to my funnybone. Marenghi's repeated delivery of the word "arsehole" is also brilliant.

Has Holness written this on his own?

bgmnts

Comes out tomorrow! Hope everyone is excited!

Also @Magnum Valentino it seems like these were penned by the Doomsage himself:

https://www.hachette.co.uk/contributor/garth-marenghi/

Operty1

Magnum Valentino

Someone buy that and scan the new short story I've not sixty quid to be spending on BOOKS

Operty1

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 30, 2023, 01:10:21 PMSomeone buy that and scan the new short story I've not sixty quid to be spending on BOOKS

Same as my thoughts, an extra 50 pages is quite a substantial addition, but £60? if it was a slipcase with the new book in the same format then perhaps.

Senior Baiano

Feels a bit like rip off price-gouging in an ironic vein... but then, if you're actually charging that amount of money, it undercuts the gag a bit. Unless it doesn't, and maybe that's the point, Aaaaah

bgmnts

End of chapter 2 and beginning of chapter 3 may trigger some CaBfolk!

bgmnts

Spoiler alert
Pidgin Welsh! Ha!
[close]

Lewman

Funniest moment in his last book tour was when my gf asked in the Q&A why he named the book 'Terror To Me'

Harry Badger

A normally clued-up friend of mine saw posters for this in London a few months back and genuinely asked me if Garth Marenghi was some deepfake thing. 

Was never a huge fan of GM at the time, though I should probably re-watch.

That said, I'm slightly proud that this is the last remaining recording on my Sky box:

Is the book worth getting as a Xmas present for an undemanding friend?

Milo

Garth is the guest on today's Off Menu, presumably in character.

ursineultra

I thought Terrortome started well but I was kinda bored halfway through, I thought it got very repetitive. I'll read this anyway, but maybe give it a few years for my brain to be ready for more.

madhair60

surprised to hear a Garth Marenghi thing got boring and repetitive halfway through

iamcoop

Yeah it is weird when people consistently trot out the same tired old tropes time and time again and expect them to be funny

madhair60

Quote from: iamcoop on November 01, 2023, 10:30:30 AMYeah it is weird when people consistently trot out the same tired old tropes time and time again and expect them to be funny

i can't tell if you're agreeing with me or if this is a dunk

Senior Baiano

Quote from: Lewman on November 01, 2023, 12:33:57 AMFunniest moment in his last book tour was when my gf asked in the Q&A why he named the book 'Terror To Me'

Check out Mr got a girlfriend over here

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: ursineultra on November 01, 2023, 07:59:39 AMI thought Terrortome started well but I was kinda bored halfway through, I thought it got very repetitive. I'll read this anyway, but maybe give it a few years for my brain to be ready for more.
I loved it - it wasn't really long enough to get that repetitive, but even if it had, I feel like those annoyances about the same things are part of what makes the character great.

Scrapey Fish

I saw him at the London Palladium last night and thought it was terrific. The audience interaction sections really made it more than just a book reading.

My mate was convinced that the male "auditionee" was a plant, so if anyone could confirm whether it's always a guy with long hair and beard I'd be interested

Shaky

As with Darkplace, I want to like this much more than I actually do. It just all seems a bit obvious and post-Partridge or something. Like all the pieces are there but it never really catches fire and becomes it's own thing.