Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:52:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Kay's absence on All4

Started by BJBMK2, September 12, 2023, 06:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: As Me Or A Worm? on September 13, 2023, 10:36:51 AMEh? He's shite for idiots. Mrs Browns Boys level.

nah. Top of the Tower remains a brilliant set, and That Peter Kay Thing showcases the talent he pretty much pissed away.

George White

Quote from: studpuppet on September 13, 2023, 10:48:47 AMThe urban myth was that he fell out with the BBC because when the Savile scandal hit, they used TOTP clips of Smith and Savile together (despite having plenty with Savile alone) and he was ignored when he asked them to desist. Sarah 'join the pool cue' Greene is just respecting his wishes. Not sure how true it might be, though.

God I'd wear Savile's suit.

DrGreggles

George White

'Dry through the night, wash through the night, never take care of what you really need'.

thr0b

Quote from: madhair60 on September 13, 2023, 11:32:54 AMnah. Top of the Tower remains a brilliant set, and That Peter Kay Thing showcases the talent he pretty much pissed away.

He's a great performer. Not so convinced about his writing - didn't Spikey and Fitzmaurice also write swathes of his standup in those days?

Diminishing returns once he alienated them from the fold.

I'd still watch a new standup set of his on telly, because back in the day, he really was great. And I can cope with a diminished version of him.

He'll never top the Channel 4 show he did before he hit the big time, a one-off doc about old game shows.

Or his appearances on The Sunday Show. 

madhair60

Ignatius_S

Quote from: thr0b on September 13, 2023, 12:25:27 PMHe's a great performer. Not so convinced about his writing - didn't Spikey and Fitzmaurice also write swathes of his standup in those days

Diminishing returns once he alienated them from the fold.

I'd still watch a new standup set of his on telly, because back in the day, he really was great. And I can cope with a diminished version of him.

He'll never top the Channel 4 show he did before he hit the big time, a one-off doc about old game shows.

Or his appearances on The Sunday Show. 

I believe Spikey did contribute some material for Kay's stand-up and he's definitely credited on Top of the Tower, but I don't get the impression that it's 'swathes' or that he was reliant on anyone to come up with material.

When Spikey first met Kay at a comedy show, where the latter was playing under difficult conditions but he absolutely knocked it out of the park and they became friends soon after. Spikey has also said that Kay provided material for him.

As far as I'm aware, the two collaborated with Fitzmaurice over television projects but he didn't write for Kay. However, I have a feeling that there was the odd joke from Phoenix Nights that ended up in Kay's sets, which he wasn't the originator of.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: BJBMK2 on September 12, 2023, 06:53:13 PMIt seems so strange to me, that a man who's work was once the most over-exposed, over-released thing in the country, isn't on any streaming service for posterity. That Peter Kay Thing, Phoenix Nights, Max and Paddy et all, we only have second hand DVD's to go off.

It has to be a money thing right? I can't see it not being directly related to some kind of argument about money.

Kay has said he's against his work being frequently repeated but I'm not sure how much it's up to him. Although most of his series have the involvement of Kay's production company, that wasn't the case of That Peter Kay Thing (and I don't believe there is any love lost between him and the company that made it) so that isn't at play there.

All the shows you mention predating streaming services (or C4 having one) complicates the issue.

With the oft-trumpted claim that James Bolam blocked repeats of Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads (despite it being repeated) was something that Clement and/or La Frenais was dubious about, saying that they didn't think it would possible (and they knew a thing or two about producing) and would be surprised that he would want to. After Bewes' death, in an interview on R4's Front Row, Bolam sounded incredulous when that claim was put to him, saying that blocking it wasn't in his power but even if it was, why would he as he was being paid. Also, I believe that rules brought in during the 1990s, which opened up multichannel repeats (and drastically cut how much actors would received) meant that people didn't have a veto.

Money might well be an issue but as his production company, is so heavily involved, it would be a nice little earner.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 13, 2023, 12:52:19 PMI believe Spikey did contribute some material for Kay's stand-up and he's definitely credited on Top of the Tower, but I don't get the impression that it's 'swathes' or that he was reliant on anyone to come up with material.

When Spikey first met Kay at a comedy show, where the latter was playing under difficult conditions but he absolutely knocked it out of the park and they became friends soon after. Spikey has also said that Kay provided material for him.

As far as I'm aware, the two collaborated with Fitzmaurice over television projects but he didn't write for Kay. However, I have a feeling that there was the odd joke from Phoenix Nights that ended up in Kay's sets, which he wasn't the originator of.

I get the feeling Spikey might've contributed some of the mucky jokes in The Pheonix Nights, there's definitely some similar sort of gags going on in Dead Man Weds.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 13, 2023, 06:09:25 PMI get the feeling Spikey might've contributed some of the mucky jokes in The Pheonix Nights, there's definitely some similar sort of gags going on in Dead Man Weds.

I think the butcher and bacon slicer joke was one that Kay used and I suspect that was one from Spikey.

Quote from: madhair60 on September 13, 2023, 11:32:54 AMnah. Top of the Tower remains a brilliant set, and That Peter Kay Thing showcases the talent he pretty much pissed away.

That's funnier than anything that twat Peter Kay has ever said.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 13, 2023, 06:23:05 PMI think the butcher and bacon slicer joke was one that Kay used and I suspect that was one from Spikey.

Nah, that's trad arr.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 13, 2023, 06:27:09 PMNah, that's trad arr.

But it's not really in keeping with Kay's usual schtick.

Pretty sure it's used in the Top of The Tower, which Spikey is credited as co-writer and it feels more like a contribution from Spikey and that's what I meant.

BJBMK2

If memory serves, Spikey gets a specific credit on the Albert Hall DVD, for the ""sucked off" gag.

idunnosomename

Said this before (as we have a "Peter Kay is a shit cunt! no he isnt!" thread about four times every year) but Spikey did warm-up for Top of the Tower. it was a pretty similar act ("d'ya remember swallowing a plaster at the swimming pool") but can't believe he had a massive hand in Kay's show. Phoenix Nights a different matter

The Roofdog

If you're under 30 pretty much the only Peter Kay thing you'd be aware of is Car Share. Odd to not give a shit about the legacy of your work.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: MattD on September 12, 2023, 11:51:02 PMRemember those DVDs he'd flog to death every Christmas that came out around 10 plus years ago?

...d'you remember 'em? Do you?

Me old Da, 'e didn't like 'em. 'De?...VDs?...DE???...VDS?????? - I don't want any of 'em bloody VDs in MY 'ouse!'

D'you remember?...

MojoJojo

Quote from: pigamus on September 13, 2023, 09:52:35 AMWasn't there one that was the same as the last one but just filmed somewhere else? That was quite the pisstake

He also did one that was the same as the previous year, but intercut with vox pops around Blackpool saying bits that they liked from the show before showing the bit.

idunnosomename

Peter??? Kay??? Peter KAY??? Whats that, like Special K, dick'ead????

MattD

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 10, 2023, 11:14:00 AMIf you're under 30 pretty much the only Peter Kay thing you'd be aware of is Car Share. Odd to not give a shit about the legacy of your work.

I listened to his new audio book, pleasant listen I thought and goes into detail about the making of That Peter Kay Thing and Phoenix Nights, makes me remember just how good these series were, particularly the pathos with Lennard the paperboy.

He must recognise its legacy. He avoids talking about the fall out over him taking sole credit for a writers award and the Daniel Kitson fallout. Instead, he's effusive in praise of his co-writers and co-stars, surprisingly he gives Kitson huge praise for his talents.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

To be fair, even when he was essentially calling Kitson a backstabbing bastard, he never denied his abilities as a comedian.