Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:11:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bill Maher crosses WGA picket line

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 16, 2023, 03:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Maher, who seems to be a bit of a prick with tedious right wing opinions from what I've seen, is going to resume his Real Time show without writers, saying "It has been five months, and it is time to bring people back to work. The writers have important issues that I sympathise with, and hope they are addressed to their satisfaction, but they are not the only people with issues, problems, and concerns."

In a piece on "the best time Bill Maher's guests put him in his place", Cracked.com reports the following:

QuoteMaher has been drawing criticism for weeks now as he's hinted at his disagreements with and defiance of the WGA strike, delivering soundbites on his Club Random podcast such as, "They kind of believe that you're owed a living as a writer, and you're not. This is show business." And his return announcement tweet has been lambasted by many in the entertainment world, with stand-up star Sam Morril quoting Maher, "'I will honor the spirit of the strike by not doing a monologue, New Rules or desk pieces.' Bc you can't. Writers did that stuff. That's not honoring them. It's something you are not able to do."

https://www.cracked.com/article_39514_the-best-times-bill-mahers-guests-put-him-in-his-place.html

Most of the time I read about Maher he's either saying something shitty or doing something shitty. Eddy Burbank made a good video on him last year:

Drew Barrymore is also crossing the picket line and resuming production on her talk show.

Sebastian Cobb

Maher is definitely past the point of people expecting him to do anything decent.

This video of Roddy Piper losing his rag at him was doing the rounds the other day, it's glorious.

j_u_d_a_s

Creepy looking disingenuous shitwit Konstantin Kisin was cheering this move on.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Bill Maher loves giving verbal blow-jobs to alt-right provocateurs and tried to argue with Larry King that vaccines don't do anything.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2023, 03:44:01 PMThis video of Roddy Piper losing his rag at him was doing the rounds the other day, it's glorious.

Hahaha! You might also appreciate this:

https://youtu.be/x3qtcJb5JhU?feature=shared&t=2567

Kankurette

He and Drew Barrymore can both do one, the scabs.

Urinal Cake

To be expected. Obviously there's a type of celebrity that thinks their name and talent can sell anything. I've heard Tyler Perry is pretty much the same.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on September 16, 2023, 10:29:10 PMHahaha! You might also appreciate this:

https://youtu.be/x3qtcJb5JhU?feature=shared&t=2567

I have no idea who Marianne Wilson is, fair play to her I like her now, I watched this for a good while, Bill Maher is legitimately stupid.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2023, 10:57:41 PMI have no idea who Marianne Wilson is, fair play to her I like her now, I watched this for a good while, Bill Maher is legitimately stupid.

Williamson*

She's running for president next year, although the chances of her beating Biden for the Democrat nominee are sadly nonexistent. She has actual ideas.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 17, 2023, 01:08:17 AMWilliamson*

She's running for president next year, although the chances of her beating Biden for the Democrat nominee are sadly nonexistent. She has actual ideas.

And presumably knows who she is and where she is at any given moment.

checkoutgirl

Bill Maher has enough money and he can fuck right the fuck off with this bullshit.

He's not even remotely funny and it's basically the band Moop are insisting on playing despite a strike which forbids them from doing so. Mate you're Moop, nobody gives a f...

Shaky

Maher and his immensely slappable cigar-chomping face can fuck right off to Hell.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 17, 2023, 01:34:22 AMHe's not even remotely funny and it's basically the band Moop are insisting on playing despite a strike which forbids them from doing so. Mate you're Moop, nobody gives a f...

Plus they invaded Spain. Fuck those guys.

Premiumlane

He has to get back quickly, most of his audience will be dead soon

EOLAN

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 16, 2023, 03:37:40 PMDrew Barrymore is also crossing the picket line and resuming production on her talk show.

Drew has now backed down.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2023, 03:44:01 PMMaher is definitely past the point of people expecting him to do anything decent.

This video of Roddy Piper losing his rag at him was doing the rounds the other day, it's glorious.

That's very satisfying. It's not just the misconception that wrestling is fake, it's the smug way he doubles down on it.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 16, 2023, 03:44:01 PMMaher is definitely past the point of people expecting him to do anything decent.

Is the Rowdy One's comment about not being the one who's gonna fuck Maher backstage a dig at the latter's relationships with sex workers or am I reading too much into it?

Sebastian Cobb

I think it's more a dig that he hasn't got the job through natural talent.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 17, 2023, 04:23:06 PMI think it's more a dig that he hasn't got the job through natural talent.
No, not that line, the one before it that's bleeped out

phantom_power

"people need to get back to work" can be translated as "I need to have attention or I will wither and die". Lots of other late night hosts are organising fundraisers or putting money into the strike fund out of their own pockets but this cunt just has to get his mug back on telly

Mister Six

Was Maher ever good or notable? I was only vaguely aware of him as some D-list US celeb until the last few years when he just seems to exist to spout generic toilet-tier boomer views about pronouns or whatever.

Urinal Cake

I think Maher's schtick was that he was the Liberal not afraid of telling conservatives to go fuck themselves when respectability politics were still a thing. Also part of the new atheist gang or whatever.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Urinal Cake on September 18, 2023, 01:23:54 AMI think Maher's schtick was that he was the Liberal not afraid of telling conservatives to go fuck themselves when respectability politics were still a thing. Also part of the new atheist gang or whatever.

Yeah, to me he was a niche US political talk show host whose peak of fame (before youtube got big at least) was his cinema documentary Religulous, made with Larry Charles (just after Borat) in the wake of the Dawkins and Hitchens books. (Ironically the film was delayed by a writers strike.) But he did have that reputation of being more iconoclastic than other TV hosts, at least at the time.
I have a fuzzy memory that his Politically Incorrect show was briefly on Channel 4 or 5 over here.

Fambo Number Mive

This cunt's got a book out titled "What this Comedian Said Will Shock You".

I think the only way Maher would shock me is if he said something worth listening to. I'd rather read Grog's autobiography.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on December 16, 2023, 12:47:30 PMI'd rather read Grog's autobiography.

That's "Got any Grapes?"

Summer 2024

Faber and Fucking Faber

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Urinal Cake on September 18, 2023, 01:23:54 AMI think Maher's schtick was that he was the Liberal not afraid of telling conservatives to go fuck themselves when respectability politics were still a thing. Also part of the new atheist gang or whatever.
If he ever identified as a liberal, he was lying to himself, or pretending so liberals would watch his godawful show.

He's Dennis Miller with better PR.