Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:09:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rick & Morty - Season 7

Started by Led Souptin, September 25, 2023, 05:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Led Souptin

Trailer just dropped

'
Honestly don't really know if it's actually worth watching anymore. I'm intrigued to see how it fares post roiland. The voices here sound fairly accurate, apart from when rick is yelling, which is jarring.

I think i'd be way more excited if Roiland hadn't turned out to be a rotter.

(here's the link if the embedded video doesnt work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKYJ5AIOU9I)

madhair60

i still enjoy this show and am excited to see this new season

lankyguy95

The new voice actors sound pretty good. I don't think it would take me out of the show.

A new season of Rick and Morty is more of a curio than an object of excitement to me nowadays. I can't remember much from last season; only that it was an improvement on the largely dreadful Season 5.

daf

Morty's OK, Rick's missing something (is it the same voice artist or have they got two in now?)

Jumblegraws

Quote from: daf on September 25, 2023, 05:57:28 PMMorty's OK, Rick's missing something (is it the same voice artist or have they got two in now?)
I didn't notice anything amiss until he started raising his voice. It also didn't really bother me.

Led Souptin

I feel like both voices are pretty spot on to the point that I'm having a hard time believing some of those lines aren't roiland. Will be interesting to see who the new voice actor(s) is / are

Thursday

Pleasantly surprised to see that there's praise for the new voices in the youtube comments, and not a lot of angry Roiland defenders.

idunnosomename

It seems to be two new voice actors which they're keeping under wraps who they are until it airs. I've never seen a full episode of R&M but they sound pretty spot on, which is fascinating because I remember so many jarring cartoon voice-actor changes as a kid.

I know I ought to watch some R&M but not sure if I have a high-enough IQ etc
(Sorry really im just put off it for so many reasons. also i'd need to make an effort to find where to watch it. I've never turned down an opportunity to watch it, it's something I've known about but never really seen properly. I probably would like it)

Ant Farm Keyboard

The Mollusk

ProvanFan

dontpaintyourteeth

I've never actually seen anyone doing all of that "you have to be dead smart to understand it" stuff about R+M, just that copypasta shite that people use to shit on it

madhair60

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on September 25, 2023, 09:13:43 PMI've never actually seen anyone doing all of that "you have to be dead smart to understand it" stuff about R+M, just that copypasta shite that people use to shit on it

mm, it's fucking tedious, isn't it? I find that's the case with most "oh, the fanbase put me off xyz". No they don't. Fucking ludicrous

daf

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 25, 2023, 08:43:44 PMI know I ought to watch some R&M but not sure if I have a high-enough IQ etc
(Sorry really im just put off it for so many reasons. also i'd need to make an effort to find where to watch it. I've never turned down an opportunity to watch it, it's something I've known about but never really seen properly. I probably would like it)

You probably will - it's pretty easy to get into - I was hooked after catching half an episode on a late night channel.

Does any TV channel show the unbleeped version? I first saw it like that (with the bleeps) on TV here and weirdly still prefer the censored version - it just sounds funnier to me. (Like John Denvers Annie's song where he goes for a W**k in the woods) It'd be nice to have the option of having both versions on the blu-raymonds.

Led Souptin

This isn't strictly relative to season 7 of rick and morty, but here's a new interview with Harmon which touches on the roiland situation

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/dan-harmon-interview-rick-morty-community-krapopolis-justin-roiland-1235600699/

Led Souptin

Heads up this is out now

It's okay, definitely one of the weakest season openers but the voices are pretty much indistinguishable from roiland as far as I can tell

I think the writers for this one were relying on mpb's voice carrying the humour but it is pretty grating more than anything

Roiland's vanity card still appears at the end, wonder how long that will keep appearing for

NoSleep

It wasn't bad, and neither Rick, Morty or MPB's voices took me out of the moment at any time throughout.

madhair60

new episode is an all-timer. i love this show. eight more episodes and then i fucking have nothing left

Led Souptin

yeah this new one was an absolute blast - really felt like rick and morty if that makes sense. some great jokes plus also really great to hear ryan ridley back voicing the main villian - wonder if he's back on the writing team or not?

idunnosomename

fascinating how they've nailed the replacement voice actors. seems like they just put in a helluva lot of work in the recasting process

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/rick-and-morty-new-voice-actors-revealed-casting-process-1235618102/

they really are two unknowns if you look up their imdbs, just a few extra roles in comedy films etc. good for them.

wrec

I wonder if the successful recasting of Rick and Morty will threaten the job security of The Simpsons voice actors. Maybe retaining the cast is more important to the brand than having a better version of Marge or someone cheaper than Harry Shearer, and for decades new seasons have been more about continuity than quality, or even viewing figures, probably. But if there's any doubt, this proves that a big casting call would work. Unless the actors have made a deal for AI versions of themselves to be used in perpetuity.

idunnosomename

Yeah the ticking Simpsons thing is part of it, also because I remember so many times with cartoons as a kid waking up one morning to watch my fav and am immediately "hey the voice changed wtf"

I think with Shearer (80 23 December this year) they'll recast his roles separately like this. And there is definitely someone out there who can do Marge better than Julie Kavner (sadly). There is so much to Homer though that I think Castellaneta is nigh irreplaceable: but they probably have plenty of time to worry about that one.

Alberon

Honestly think in a few years the studios will be purchasing the rights to a 'voice' and then getting another actor to play it through AI voice sampling. So if someone could do the performance side of Homer's voice but not sound like him it won't matter.

There was a minor character in one of the non-English versions of the game Cyberpunk 2077 who had died by the time the DLC had come round so the family agreed to let the above approach be used. Don't know how well it worked, but this is certainly something that will become better and easier fairly quickly.

selectivememory

Latest episode was pretty good. Wouldn't have checked it out if people in this thread hadn't raved about it, because that season opener was dire.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: selectivememory on October 24, 2023, 02:34:16 PMLatest episode was pretty good. Wouldn't have checked it out if people in this thread hadn't raved about it, because that season opener was dire.

I didn't hate the series opener but I watched the first fifteen minutes while eating breakfast but then had to prepare for work, and after a couple of days I realised I couldn't be bothered finishing it so just deleted it.

I've gone from "Man I love this show to pieces, it's the best thing on" to "Hmmmm, that was a mixed bag" to "Ahhhhhh fuck this is horrible I'm never going to watch the show again and all involved are dirty cunts!" and ended up at "If someone recommends an episode I'll give it a shot", which is pretty much identical to my journey with The Simpsons, except the golden age didn't last as long. It's what happened this week, anyhow, and yeah, I enjoyed it, it made me laugh a few times and the story in general was fun to watch.

madhair60

third episode was enjoyable but nowhere near as good the second. too much baggage.

Led Souptin

the new episode (4) is absolutely outstanding, and very uncomfortable viewing.

Spoiler alert
that montage towards the end actually made me well up
[close]

selectivememory

Yeah, very good episode. Also quite liked the previous one despite really not finding that president character funny on any level.

Think the Roiland business had put me off a bit, and I'd forgotten that Season 6 was actually a bit of a return to form. Still seems to be plenty of life left in the show at the moment anyway.

gotmilk

I thought the last episode was a bit unpleasant without managing to say anything that hasn't been done better before. It certainly wasn't very funny. Having said that I'd take a swing and a miss like that over noisy, embarrassing shit like episodes one and three of this season. It's weird how the show is still capable of good stories, but every other episode is just interminable geek nonsense, full of annoying side characters, dull references to previous episodes and cringy action sequences.

NoSleep

Seemed oddly un-Rick and Morty to me. Nothing to do with the new voice actors, all to do with the script.