Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:19:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts (Series 5) and Christmas Special

Started by BritishHobo, October 04, 2023, 06:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

Final ever series of this starts on Friday (all episodes will be available at once on iPlayer). But it's also been announced there will be a final Christmas special, too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/ghosts-christmas-special/

I can imagine that special is going to be an absolute gutpunch, to round the whole thing off. I've been excited to see what happens in the finale, but it feels a perfect fit for the finale to be a Christmas special.

Norton Canes

Hoping for some real misdirection on the reason for the Captain's demise. Like it turns out to be something really banal, or something that was flagged  right back in the first episode

Mr Trumpet

Predictions:

• The house will come under threat of demolition
  • Pregnancy of the non-dead characters
  • Kiell Smith-Bynoe will end up able to see ghosts

Mr_Simnock

BritishHobo

Yeah that's gotta be the very end, right? As sad as it would be to have it closed off for good, it really is the perfect ending.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on October 04, 2023, 06:53:43 PMPredictions:

• The house will come under threat of demolition
  • Pregnancy of the non-dead characters
  • Kiell Smith-Bynoe will end up able to see ghosts

Not going for 'one of the live characters becomes a ghost'?

I suppose that wouldn't fit the fact that it's ending.

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 04, 2023, 06:29:14 PMFinal ever series of this starts on Friday (all episodes will be available at once on iPlayer).

They're all up now.

dead-ced-dead

Three episodes in and this maintains Ghost's same sweet, good natured giggly energy.

The ghosts trying to solve Kitty's death is especially lovely.

BritishHobo

The outtakes for this one are going to be fun; you can tell they're enjoying giving Jim Howick just the most ridiculous bits of acting.

I forget how stressed out I get by the sitcom thing of a character doing mad, unexplainable stuff and getting seen by someone in authority who has the power to fuck up their life.

BritishHobo

All done because I have no self-control. As lovely and moving as ever. Really can't wait to see how they round it out at Christmas.

neveragain

There's one particularly great piece of acting this series, but I'm not saying who from (even
Spoiler alert
covered up
[close]
) as that would be too much of a spoiler.

I hoovered them all up yesterday as well. Such a lovely series, and the central situation is so perfect for sitcom. A metaphysical prison. Really is a shame it's just about gone. I can see myself rewatching it a fair few times.

The ending was
Spoiler alert
very good and happy
[close]
but thankfully there's the Christmas special because not everything was concluded.

dead-ced-dead

I also have no self control and binged it. I love this sweet, genuinely heartfelt show.

It's silliness works well with the more sour notes.

Speaking of sour notes, this show is able to talk about regret and death in a way that feels earned and deeply felt. This is television where the writers/actors love the characters.

PhotoJenny

Since it's probably the last chance to say this, Martha Howe-Douglas never gets enough credit for some truly deranged and inspired facial expressions as Lady Button., especially as she never got to have much fun in Yonderland.

Favourite joke this series was
Spoiler alert
the mouse named Graeme Souness
[close]

BritishHobo

Yeah, the bit where
Spoiler alert
Julian is contemplating options for an end-of-aferlife shag, and the camera lingers on Lady Button's face for absolutely ages
[close]
was beautiful.

Lolly Adefope was a delight as well, as always. Her delivery of
Spoiler alert
"I'm pregnant!" gave me the biggest laugh of this series, I think. And I really loved her total lack of interest in the circumstances of her death, even as the rest of the group are driving themselves made investigating it. That little bedside moment with Emma Sidi cracking was so sweet, but Kitty's completely unconcerned, being far too lovely to ever consider nefarious means surrounding her death, especially not carried out by her sister.
[close]

BritishHobo

Also I'm a big fan of the thing they've been doing with Robin in recent series, and continue here, of
Spoiler alert
leaning into the quiet, heartbreaking dignity of him having spent so long alone, and having said goodbye to so many people; and therefore actually being the most emotionally intelligent and existentially knowledgeable of the group.
[close]

neveragain

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 07, 2023, 08:41:42 PMAlso I'm a big fan of the thing they've been doing with Robin in recent series, and continue here, of
Spoiler alert
leaning into the quiet, heartbreaking dignity of him having spent so long alone, and having said goodbye to so many people; and therefore actually being the most emotionally intelligent and existentially knowledgeable of the group.
[close]

Yes, I love that. A very wise man.

dead-ced-dead

I found myself tearing up a few times.

Spoiler alert
Robin learning French was one moment. Lady Button's poem was another. The circumstances of The Captain's disgrace and death broke me. Sobbed.
[close]

It's very deeply felt and these moments are earned. It's definitely not in 'Kindness is Magic" Derek/Afterlife camp of cynical button pushing.

greencalx

Doing this the old-fashioned way (watching it as its broadcast) because That's What We Do. Knowing this is the final series, I wondered to begin with if the opening scene was a flashforward, but maybe it hints as to what is to come. Of course, with everyone else binging it, there is no point in indulging in such speculation.

SpiderChrist

Sat down to watch this with Mrs SC and SC Jnr last night, only intending to watch the first one and ended up doing three in a row.

Des Wigwam

Have done these in batches of 2 which is very restrained for me. Very glad there's a Christmas special to come.

I usually really don't enjoy
Spoiler alert
we're pregnant
[close]
storylines but was pleased how light touch this was. Thought Kiell S-B was really funny in this one after becoming a bit Flanderised in S3 or 4. Also really enjoyed Lolly Adefope and I'm not the greatest fan for some reason.

I've binged all 40 episodes of the US version over a few months - well, mostly had it on in the background - and was struck by how much better this is. Everything is given so much space and has confidence in itself. I think it was the quiz show episode where that really stood out. Another thing that stood out is how many plot points are shared between this series and the US one - but I think some or all of the team consult on it.

Was particularly moved by the moment @dead-ced-dead mentions above. Really did tear up at that. I though it was a "nice" touch how they gave
Spoiler alert
the Captain's lost love a war wound. Don't know why that really did touch me
[close]

Could easily go back and watch this series again.

[Edit to add - really funny opening gag / setup and another example of not rushing something]

Des Wigwam

One other thing - I don't need to hear it more than once every 15 years but sometimes Achey Breaky Heart really lifts a moment.

markburgle

I love this show, but find it so frustrating because the stuff I love most about it - the ghost-lore, the backstory, the rumination-on-life-and-death stuff - only makes up about 30% of it, with loads more hinted at but never properly explored. The ingredients are all right, I just find the balance wrong.

The subplot with Annie was a high-point for me, and it was great seeing Robin with that other random ghost this series, but there was so much story potential in exploring more things like that, rather than Mike and Allison's lives or the ghosts' present-day subplots that often have little to do with them even being dead.

Every time Allison sees another ghost and just averts her eyes her incuriosity does my head in. I just think "fuck looking at flats for the day, ask them two German lads what their story is!!". I just want a different show than the one they set out to make. My ideal version would probably be closer to some kind of ghost-Quantum-Leap where Allison goes round seeking out other ghosts and getting their stories, and her and the main ones trying to figure out the secret to moving on.

lauraxsynthesis

Finished! Nice, silly show just occasionally sad. Thought the Captain
Spoiler alert
's end too tragic and then it was a surprise at the very end that the ambiguity about him was finally, and kinda crassly, cleared up
[close]
but nice and funny all the same.

I enjoyed Robin most this series. And the wide range
Spoiler alert
of interesting stuff we got to see from Julian. Was v moved by his speech in ep 6.
[close]

The joke about
Spoiler alert
a young woman with the name Brenda
[close]
totally worked for me. I had the same reaction as Mike.

I can forgive the pregnancy storyline because it was so much fun when
Spoiler alert
Kitty accidentally saw the baby hah.
[close]

Looking forward to the Christmas special. I don't think it'll be a sad send off. Surely it'll be wrapped up all warm and fluffy, no?
Spoiler alert
And probably the baby will be able to see ghosts.
[close]

Des Wigwam

Forgot to say Robin is one of those characters who goes from least favourite to favourite*.

*I don't count Humphrey as I find the character too stressful.

Lordofthefiles

Quote from: lauraxsynthesis on October 10, 2023, 12:05:39 AMLooking forward to the Christmas special. I don't think it'll be a sad send off. Surely it'll be wrapped up all warm and fluffy, no?
Spoiler alert
And probably the baby will be able to see ghosts.
[close]

Allison goes into labor alone, it's looking a bit touch-and-go, the ghosts all help to deliver the baby, and are all then "sucked off", their reward for having brought new life into the world.

...end of show, everyone goes home happy with a tear in their eye!!

The Mollusk

Avoiding spoilers as I've still got the last 2 episodes of this series to watch, but does anyone else feel like this is some of the strongest stuff they've done? I've been a fan from the start but I'm finding this series particularly funny and touching.

Been watching the blooper reels on youtube as well, proper feel-good stuff.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 10, 2023, 05:28:57 PMAvoiding spoilers as I've still got the last 2 episodes of this series to watch, but does anyone else feel like this is some of the strongest stuff they've done? I've been a fan from the start but I'm finding this series particularly funny and touching.

Yes I've felt that. Sort of what I was trying to say above - everything feels really confident and has plenty of space and nothing's rushed. I think Jim Howick does really well and stand out for that. Is it S3 where he seems to be too exaggerated? In this series it feels a lot more natural even though he's arguably even more so.

Only just realised the character's name is Pat Butcher. I think that's for the Things You Appreciate in Sitcoms thread - it's never mentioned (as far I remember) but it's just a stupid funny thing sitting there.

The Mollusk

Yeah totally agree. The silliness of characters like Pat and Mike have been reined in nicely for this series, it works wonders.

frajer

Quote from: Des Wigwam on October 10, 2023, 05:36:40 PMOnly just realised the character's name is Pat Butcher. I think that's for the Things You Appreciate in Sitcoms thread - it's never mentioned (as far I remember) but it's just a stupid funny thing sitting there.

Yeah some great silly names throughout the whole run, as you say made funny by the fact that no one ever remarks upon them.

The fact a main character in a family show is called "fanny button" is applause worthy.

The Mollusk

I maintain that Thomas' delivery of "Lucky Fanny, to be touched up by those hands" when Alison is restoring the portrait is the best line of the entire show.