Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:54:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts (Series 5) and Christmas Special

Started by BritishHobo, October 04, 2023, 06:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Des Wigwam on October 10, 2023, 01:39:09 PMForgot to say Robin is one of those characters who goes from least favourite to favourite*.

*I don't count Humphrey as I find the character too stressful.

Ha! He really is

Des Wigwam

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 10, 2023, 09:22:27 PMI maintain that Thomas' delivery of "Lucky Fanny, to be touched up by those hands" when Alison is restoring the portrait is the best line of the entire show.

Better than the name for the Cocktail Society?

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Des Wigwam on October 11, 2023, 09:46:28 AMBetter than the name for the Cocktail Society?
My favourite part of that is that some of the clip art has the little Google Images resolution overlay in the bottom-right corner.  Mike's technical inability is so great that he's just taken a screenshot and cropped them into the slideshow.
Big image
[close]

frajer

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 10, 2023, 09:22:27 PMI maintain that Thomas' delivery of "Lucky Fanny, to be touched up by those hands" when Alison is restoring the portrait is the best line of the entire show.

Heh! It's testament to the restraint of the writing and utter earnestness of the delivery that the fanny gags are consistently so, so good.

The one that always gets me creasing is in the ep where it's discovered Fanny can be seen as a spectral image by the public:

JULIAN: These people came here for a glimpse of Fanny!
FANNY: Yes, and you can hardly fake that.

The sort of gags that if they were performed with anything other than copper-bottomed sincerity, they just wouldn't work. Such a marvellous show.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Des Wigwam on October 09, 2023, 10:00:56 PMI've binged all 40 episodes of the US version over a few months - well, mostly had it on in the background - and was struck by how much better this is. Everything is given so much space and has confidence in itself. I think it was the quiz show episode where that really stood out. Another thing that stood out is how many plot points are shared between this series and the US one - but I think some or all of the team consult on it.

I don't prefer either over the other, each has things I like a lot in. The US show is going down the US show route (as in it's being presented and done in a way US audiences will recognise more), episodes are shorter but we get to see more different ghosts and more back story stuff.

markburgle

I really loved the 1st series of Ghosts US, seemed to play with the format in a great way and have a lot of touching moments but the 2nd seems quite shallow and zingy for the most part.

I didn't know this existed though, it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfwfFLcrXnw

ajsmith2

Quote from: markburgle on October 13, 2023, 10:33:14 PMI really loved the 1st series of Ghosts US, seemed to play with the format in a great way and have a lot of touching moments but the 2nd seems quite shallow and zingy for the most part.

really? I thought the complete opposite. The 1st series was like a naff pale shadow of the UK one IMO, whereas by the second season they'd found their feet a lot more, the characters became a lot more likeable and deep and best of all they stopped giving the Captain lines like 'well I spent much of my time in the army under a lot of men woops pardon' like in a 55 year old Carry On script.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: markburgle on October 13, 2023, 10:33:14 PMI didn't know this existed though, it's great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfwfFLcrXnw

Thanks for posting it. Yes I enjoyed that even though I pathologically hate "this thing you love but with a celeb" stuff.

And I do really enjoy Mike talking while panicked.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 16, 2023, 03:08:50 PMreally? I thought the complete opposite. The 1st series was like a naff pale shadow of the UK one IMO, whereas by the second season they'd found their feet a lot more, the characters became a lot more likeable and deep and best of all they stopped giving the Captain lines like 'well I spent much of my time in the army under a lot of men woops pardon' like in a 55 year old Carry On script.

I quite like the US one, the Captain's whole storyline ends up very different. I also think there's more character in the Viking ghost and the banker ghost than their nearest UK counterparts. It's very different, but more episodes and a different structure make it at least worth a watch.

Also, hadn't seen the Kylie short. Great. Would recommend.

Norton Canes

neveragain

Magnum Valentino

Simon Farnaby is on RHLSTP's 'Book Club' episode this week to discuss it. Haven't listened to it though. In fact, I've never seen Farnaby out of character and probably don't want to. It's too hard to imagine that he's a real person, he's such an odd performer.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on October 24, 2023, 10:49:03 AMSimon Farnaby is on RHLSTP's 'Book Club' episode this week to discuss it. Haven't listened to it though. In fact, I've never seen Farnaby out of character and probably don't want to. It's too hard to imagine that he's a real person, he's such an odd performer.

It was odd hearing him interviewed (last year I wanna say) on Kermode and Mayo's show discussing Phantom of the Open.

Icehaven

Quote from: centristmelt on October 23, 2023, 08:11:47 PMAnyone going to get the book?

Going to get it for my Mum for Christmas, so I'll leave it a respectable amount of time then read it when I'm visiting.

Twilkes

Was disappointed by series 4, possibly also series 3, but this series is maybe one of the best they've done, some nice introspection from the ghosts about their situation.

There is something about a three series structure where 1) you present your new ideas, 2) you refine them, and 3) you close them off, and this series seems to be playing the latter role extremely well. S3 and 4 were kind of coasting by comparison, like they could only come up with static ideas that didn't really propel much forward.

Spoiler alert
I did think that when the French wife was saying something negative and her translator translated something positive, that that's how Robin would've learn French, and he would translate incorrectly for Mike and Alison screwing things up for the golf course. Kind of glad he didn't though.
[close]

neveragain

Y'see, I like a sitcom that 'coasts' a bit. On top of the comfort of a static situation, I want to spend enough time with the characters that I can't remember everything they got up to. Five series and however many specials is the right number for me.

Alberon

Norton Canes

Quote from: neveragain on October 24, 2023, 12:42:03 PMY'see, I like a sitcom that 'coasts' a bit. On top of the comfort of a static situation, I want to spend enough time with the characters that I can't remember everything they got up to. Five series and however many specials is the right number for me

I was kind of hoping for six series, for no other reason than six lots of six is a pleasingly rounded amount (and of course, more Ghosts) but by the time the four specials are factored in (and the Kylie Children In Need special) we get more than 36x30 minutes, so it's all good.

frajer

Re: the book, I wasn't overly interested... until I found out there's audio version read by the entire blimming cast!

Found the below preview and it is absolutely wonderful. That's an audible credit spent right there.

https://on.soundcloud.com/PXDz8qEY5wjd6ScJ7

neveragain

Quote from: frajer on October 24, 2023, 01:41:28 PMRe: the book, I wasn't overly interested... until I found out there's audio version read by the entire blimming cast!

Found the below preview and it is absolutely wonderful. That's an audible credit spent right there.

Oh my lord, what with this, Partridge and Peter Kay, the claws of Audible are dragging me back with a vengeance.

greencalx

Even as someone who is often on the lookout for double entendres I managed to miss most of the Fanny lines, which is testament to how well played the acting is. You can go there if you want to, you don't lose anything if you don't.

The recent one with the golf course/French plot. The montage with Robin was so well done. Liked the random, older ghost with the sword still in him.I had skimmed a couple of episodes this series but that one was great.

greencalx

We've just got to this one.

Quote from: ishantbekeepingit on October 11, 2023, 04:53:35 PMMy favourite part of that is that some of the clip art has the little Google Images resolution overlay in the bottom-right corner.  Mike's technical inability is so great that he's just taken a screenshot and cropped them into the slideshow.
Big image
[close]

This is the kind of thing that TV shows often get badly wrong, where the production values of in-show creations match that of the show itself, rather than looking like it was more authentically done by the characters themselves.

studpuppet

Quote from: frajer on October 24, 2023, 01:41:28 PMRe: the book, I wasn't overly interested... until I found out there's audio version read by the entire blimming cast!

Found the below preview and it is absolutely wonderful. That's an audible credit spent right there.

Started listening to this on my commute. It's like having one of those eighties BBC comedy tie-in books (NTNON, Young Ones), but in sound. This is a GOOD thing.
Got about halfway in one sitting, and no Fanny gags, but the Captain's fitness regime ("BEAT THEM OFF!") and the name of the birds of prey company that Pat's troop get attacked by are very on the nose.

Edit: The more Robin speaks, the more he sounds like Adam Buxton's surly restaurant owner on 8 Out Of 10 cats.

centristmelt

I'm still hoping for a Pat Butcher prequel spinoff series.

Angst in my Pants

Last night we watched the episode (5, I think) where we're shown the Captain's
Spoiler alert
final moments.
Heartbreaking. Beautifully done.
[close]
This final season is just lovely. I'm so pleased they got to write a final season rather than it just being cancelled.

bobloblaw

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 24, 2023, 10:54:08 AMIt was odd hearing him interviewed (last year I wanna say) on Kermode and Mayo's show discussing Phantom of the Open.

He's brilliant on Herring - several 'I shouldn't probably say this... oh what the hell' moments including a 'filming with the Queen' bit of indiscretion. Also: a brilliant Mackenzie Crook anecdote from Detectorists

Quote from: centristmelt on October 31, 2023, 09:55:02 AMI'm still hoping for a Pat Butcher prequel spinoff series.

The Jim Howick Multiverse of Mischief, in which his archery-competing character from Pandemonium/Here We Go hits and kills his character from Ghosts.