Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:41:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TERF Crowd: The Terrifying Transphobia of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, October 15, 2023, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: I hate the term 'queer' because I was called queer by bullies at school in the '90s, and it comes with a whole lot of connotations that aren't me. Like, I'm bi but I don't call myself queer because I feel I'm too boring and not radical enough to be queer. BUT. That's a me problem, and it doesn't mean I have a problem with other people calling themselves queer. I understand why tbh - it's a useful label for people who can't easily pigeonhole their sexuality. But as a cishet man, it's not Linehan's place to tell people not to use it

petril

I'm still fucking hot and far more valid than worthy than any fucking transphobe, and I resent the ghastly attention they get over me

pms always open

Joe Oakes

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 15, 2023, 10:49:59 PM

If Graham had any remaining comedy chops, he would have at least addressed him as Russell Davies or some other obvious variation of a T joke.

Maybe it will occur to him in time for his next tight 10 at Comedy Unleashed, so he can finally replace his signature shitting in the bath bit.

Sonny_Jim

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 15, 2023, 09:08:41 PMOnly managed to put on a bra and some actual pants yesterday.

Men of culture, we meet again.

(Fucking hell, @Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, really hope you start feeling better soon. Thanks as ever for doing the admin despite feeling crap.)

BennyHedgehog

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 15, 2023, 03:11:50 PMJKR replying to Barry "I could just kill a man" Wall threatening to SLAAP a protestor.

Lol, engaging with mad Barry but still won't acknowledge the existence of Grayham

Milo

Just to add my voice of thanks for your service, P's Big Garlicky C. Speedy recovery.

buttgammon

Get well soon Poirot!

Glad to see a straight bloke is lecturing Russell T. Davies on LGBTQ+ issues, it's not like he's been writing about them for decades, is it?

phantom_power

Quote from: Better Midlands on October 15, 2023, 10:49:59 PMGet well soon Poirot

GC in not understanding writer using hyperbole and crybullying him about it shocker!

Crisis For Gay Youth. Saw them support The Field Mice at Dingwalls in 91

Greyhound

Quote from: BennyHedgehog on October 16, 2023, 06:28:47 AMLol, engaging with mad Barry but still won't acknowledge the existence of Grayham

That's got to sting

Greyhound

Is it just me or is that a shockingly badly written article? Like ChatGPT level bad

dissolute ocelot

Spent a while looking at the new thread title thinking: "TERF" doesn't sound anything like "IT"!? Another sign of the lack of impact of his book.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kankurette on October 16, 2023, 12:09:56 AMLike, I'm bi but I don't call myself queer because I feel I'm too boring and not radical enough to be queer.

I don't think those are prerequisites for being 'queer'.

Oosp

Linehan,
Graham:
Bastard,
Thick;
Quite
Ignorant
Actually
+

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: bgmnts on October 16, 2023, 10:28:46 AMI don't think those are prerequisites for being 'queer'.

Possibly not, but I think bgmnts broader point is that whatever one thinks of the term "queer", whether one think it's a slur or not, whether one thinks they're worthy of it or not, it's recent politicisation to drive a wedge is dangerous.

lipsink

Honestly, the fucking cheek of this cunt going after RTD.

RTD who grew up gay in the 1960s and 70s. Who saw countless friends die in the 80s and 90s from AIDS and channels that pain and uses it to make beautiful, landmark television that gave the gay community some visibility. Who put queer characters in mainstream family television and probably helped a generation of kids watching Doctor Who feel that little bit better and less ashamed about being different. And then here comes our Graham wading in, who probably didn't give a shit about all of that until about 5 minutes ago when he discovered he could use it to attack trans people. Honestly, fucking despicable cunt.

phantom_power

Given his hair-trigger anger and scatter-gun approach to insulting people, surely the only thing a higher profile from this book is going to do is make more people realise what super hyper mega cunt he is. It may even turn away some potential GCs from the cause before the more measured cunts get their claws into them

bgmnts

TERF Fighter II: Super Hyper Mega Cunt Turbo Edition

idunnosomename

Do remember part of the reason papers are serialising the book is because hes a public figure whos gone bonkers. It's as much rubbernecking at a social-media addicted lunatic as it is sympathetic platforming, even from the Mail.

damien

Have to admit, the low sales of the book has taken me by surprise. Hard to believe he's even less popular than we thought he was.

Quote from: phantom_power on October 16, 2023, 11:37:06 AMIt may even turn away some potential GCs from the cause before the more measured cunts get their claws into them

I was wondering how far the general public knowledge (outside of Daily Mail/RW media - they're a lost cause) that many of these "women's rights" campaigners are actually just vicious, obcessive & toxic GCs/terfs as we know them.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: phantom_power on October 16, 2023, 11:37:06 AMGiven his hair-trigger anger and scatter-gun approach to insulting people, surely the only thing a higher profile from this book is going to do is make more people realise what super hyper mega cunt he is. It may even turn away some potential GCs from the cause before the more measured cunts get their claws into them
It won't. The book's being serialised in two(?) tabloid rags. We had screenshots in the last thread. It's a whitewash. "I said 'stop bullying women, stop calling them TERFs' and they cancelled me! they destroyed me! Those Harry Potter kids turned on lovely polite JK Rowling, an abuse survivor! How could they?" No mention of calling people paedophiles on Twitter. No mention of tweeting 19 hours a day. No mention of Shut UP! Fuck OFF! No mention of telling a rape survivor "IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU". And the reviews are largely written by sympathetic TERFs. Only The (Irish?) Times Independent reviewer bothered to point out that none of Glinner's claims about trans women being the safest, most protected class in society, free to rampantly pervert all over the place, have even the slightest basis in reality.

EDIT: Here's that review again https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/graham-linehan-tough-crowd-book-trans-b2428578.html

pierre boo-lez

Quote from: damien on October 16, 2023, 11:57:10 AMHave to admit, the low sales of the book has taken me by surprise. Hard to believe he's even less popular than we thought he was.

A combination of a cunt going bananas and his vanity publisher picking the worst day of the publishing year to put it out. The funniest thing he's done in years.

Greyhound

Quote from: damien on October 16, 2023, 11:57:10 AMHave to admit, the low sales of the book has taken me by surprise. Hard to believe he's even less popular than we thought he was.

Too much about comedy to interest the TERF crowd and too much about The Trans Menace to interest comedy fans, maybe? That and the number of people who are really invested in transphobia, enough to buy books about it, can't be very big in the first place. Plus he's alienated himself from a lot of TERFs with his aggressive and deranged behaviour which won't have helped.

idunnosomename

Eye Books is a tiny independent publisher he's only got on because of being cancel-culture mates with bore Simon Edge, who's written a prolific amount of shite for them. They don't have the marketing reach to get anywhere near the sales of the Big 5 publishers that a non-bananas celeb would be on a imprint of.

They must be pleased with the serialisations in the Mail and the Telegraph but I noticed neither of those actually reviewed it (not that you really associate the Mail with literature criticism).

Eye are also clearly so short-staffed they've botched his launch by the audiobook not being ready

I imagine editing the audiobook is taking longer than they planned for, there's a lot of crying and yodeling etc. to excise.

buttgammon

Quote from: Greyhound on October 16, 2023, 12:15:52 PMToo much about comedy to interest the TERF crowd and too much about The Trans Menace to interest comedy fans, maybe? That and the number of people who are really invested in transphobia, enough to buy books about it, can't be very big in the first place. Plus he's alienated himself from a lot of TERFs with his aggressive and deranged behaviour which won't have helped.

I wonder how much impact things like the Janice Turner review will have on fellow TERFs. Presumably, a lot of them will agree that he's just an angry narcissist and embarrassment who's only going to damage their cause in the long run (sadly without taking the opportunity to think why an angry narcissist shares their obsession).