Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:13:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TERF Crowd: The Terrifying Transphobia of Graham Linehan

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, October 15, 2023, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beloved of Jo

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23852442.india-willoughby-nomination-woman-year/

Something positive to read. Well, in the sense of a newspaper actually giving a trans person free reign to write for once.

Barry Admin

Quote from: gpbmedia on October 16, 2023, 09:34:20 AMShort interview in the Express today.

He only mentioned Rowling three times.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1823795/graham-linehan-father-ted-blackmail

Quote from: LinehanAnd some of this is simply opportunistic people who are taking advantage of the exalted level they have been put on. Con men and abusive misogynists are using trans activism as a cover and it is hurting women.

Projecting again.

As other have said, the article itself is appallingly written and doesn't seem to have been sub-edited at all.  There's also no challenge to any of the shit he comes out with, letting him once again repeat his disgusting Nazi comparisons.

Weird also that the article references his belief we are "living in a permanent state of blackmail" when it ends with this emotionally manipulative bullshit:

QuoteThey have taken everything from me. They took my family, my career, my relationships and my financial stability. Before this all I was doing was writing comedy and they destroyed me. I have faced death threats and I have felt very low at times, but the mistake they made is that they gave me nothing to lose. And I will not give up. I will expose hypocrisy and cowardice and I will never give them the satisfaction of killing myself.

What a lying, self-aggrandising, bullying cunt.

Kankurette

Don't flatter yourself, Graham. Wishing suicide on you require more mental energy than you're worth, and it's particularly vile given that poor trans lad who killed himself recently. 14 years old. And his mum's been hounded by TERFs too.

Nobody took his family. They left him because he put Twitter and bullying trans people over them. He tanked his own career. He has no sense of personal responsibility or any inkling that this might be the result of his own behaviour. As for hypocrisy and cowardice, where to even begin. Bullying people on Twitter isn't brave. Chris Packham's had far more abuse than Linehan is and he's actually putting himself out there, not just posting on Twitter.
Quote from: bgmnts on October 16, 2023, 10:28:46 AMI don't think those are prerequisites for being 'queer'.
They are in certain crowds. See: the Tumblr post of a couple of boring-looking gay men in suits at a Pride parade, and people in the notes complaining about how they didn't belong at Pride because they didn't look queer enough.

jobotic

In Linehan's own words nobody took his family.

They gave him a choice, us or your obsessive bigotry and he chose the bigotry. He effectively left them.

Suicide would be a step too far, but it would be fitting if he won a Darwin Award. Maybe he'll drop his phone into some sewage then dive in after it.

Beloved of Jo

Quote from: GlinnerI will never give them the satisfaction of killing myself.

Isn't that a favourite talking point of the GC ghouls? Of trans youth using the spectre of suicide as "emotional blackmail" to get their way? (i.e. not put through conversion therapy)

Nobody wants you dead, Graham. I'm sure plenty would love to see you get some proper help though, because you seem utterly miserable and broken. Not your career broken, not your family broken, but you as a person. As in the Graham of 20 years ago would be horrified at the person you've stubbornly reinforced and embittered yourself to become, regardless of circumstance.

dead-ced-dead

I hate the way he keeps saying that "they" took his family, as if they're objects to be possessed. As if Helen doesn't have a brain or free will.

JaDanketies

If a trans person said that then the GC line would be that they were 'weaponising suicide' and going against the Samaritans' guidelines for talking about suicide and that it was totally gross and anyway nobody actually does it

Barry Admin

Quote from: Beloved of Jo on October 16, 2023, 01:17:55 PMIsn't that a favourite talking point of the GC ghouls? Of trans youth using the spectre of suicide as "emotional blackmail" to get their way? (i.e. not put through conversion therapy)

Fucking hell, yeah, you're right. This is only the second time he's invoked suicide, both times while promoting the book, so it's quite jarring.

You really do make an excellent point; it feeds into what I was saying the other day about this Bizarro World narrative he's pushing where trans people are all middle class and control institutions and corporations, and white cishet comedy writers are the real underdogs.

Crybullying, as it's known.

Juan K Perros

Quote from: Beloved of Jo on October 16, 2023, 12:24:27 PMhttps://www.heraldscotland.com/news/23852442.india-willoughby-nomination-woman-year/

Something positive to read. Well, in the sense of a newspaper actually giving a trans person free reign to write for once.

That's surprising and heartening, the Herald was a Tory shitrag for a looooonnnng number of years. I had noticed Neil Mackay going very much off-reservation on Twitter and wondered if he was heading for a P45, but perhaps not.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Oosp on October 16, 2023, 10:38:04 AMLinehan,
Graham:
Bastard,
Thick;
Quite
Ignorant
Actually
+

'plus actor'

You know, I'm gonna say it: if Graham killed himself I think I'd be quite sad about it. I'd prefer he change his behaviour and find some personal peace.

bgmnts

Sounds like he's one step away from fundamentalist violence at this point. Weird twat.

Currency Cat

The sales for the book might be looking piss-poor right now, but they're sure to pick up a head of steam in the runup to this year's Gender Critical Coming Out Day.

p.s. is there anything legally actionable if I posted a comment along the lines of "Joanne Rowling is a piece of shit"?

Noakes

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on October 16, 2023, 02:13:05 PM'plus actor'

You know, I'm gonna say it: if Graham killed himself I think I'd be quite sad about it. I'd prefer he change his behaviour and find some personal peace.

i'll echo that, in the bubble, calls for kindness have been rebranded a tool of the oppressor, but i'd still rather be in a kinder world

Noakes

Quote from: Currency Cat on October 16, 2023, 02:22:22 PMThe sales for the book might be looking piss-poor right now, but they're sure to pick up a head of steam in the runup to this year's Gender Critical Coming Out Day.

p.s. is there anything legally actionable if I posted a comment along the lines of "Joanne Rowling is a piece of shit"?
ianal but i think you're ok if you express it as an opinion rather than a fact (heh heh, i anal)

DreadedScotsman

I don't wish glinner dead, I want him to just stop being such a piece of shit. Now do I hope he's forever shitting hedgehogs? Maybe

The Late Satoru Iwata

Thanks to whoever mentioned Mandy (the bite-size sitcom) and, in particular, the banana-processing plant tarantula-smashing scene in response to Gimli's assertion that there's been no good comedy in five years. I wasn't exactly in laugh-a-minute mode but the tarantula scene is, well, smashing is what it is.

Kankurette

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on October 16, 2023, 01:28:50 PMI hate the way he keeps saying that "they" took his family, as if they're objects to be possessed. As if Helen doesn't have a brain or free will.
Women don't, that's the thing. We need men like Linehan to tell us how to think because we're too helpless.

Shaxberd

I'm sure Linehan's received DMs now and then saying "kill yourself", which is horrible, but that's something that happens to almost everyone on the internet at some point rather than a concerted effort against him. I would be more sympathetic if transphobes like him didn't routinely dismiss trans people's suicidality as emotional manipulation or crow "41%!" as evidence we're all mad and need to be locked up.

On a lighter note, it's fun that he's gone from "trans people can't make art" to "since the GRA consultation, trans people's nefarious powers have killed comedy altogether".

Kankurette

And if trans people weren't goaded into killing themselves. What is it Kiwifarms like to say? Join the 41%?

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Shaxberd on October 16, 2023, 02:42:25 PMI'm sure Linehan's received DMs now and then saying "kill yourself", which is horrible

I don't doubt for a second that he has, or that both JKR and, say, India Willoughby have received lots of death and rape threats. There's always gonna be a hardcore of real nasty pieces of work who are looking for the carte blanche afforded by someone else's righteous crusade.

Noakes

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on October 16, 2023, 02:36:42 PMThanks to whoever mentioned Mandy (the bite-size sitcom) and, in particular, the banana-processing plant tarantula-smashing scene in response to Gimli's assertion that there's been no good comedy in five years. I wasn't exactly in laugh-a-minute mode but the tarantula scene is, well, smashing is what it is.

i was sold on mandy just from the character's walk

tomasrojo

Quote from: gpbmedia on October 16, 2023, 09:34:20 AMShort interview in the Express today.

He only mentioned Rowling three times.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1823795/graham-linehan-father-ted-blackmail

QuoteSince I saw the science of biology being undermined it makes me wonder what other science is being undermined by tribalism. Liberal consensus and groupthink seems to override commonsense and evidence a lot of the time.

I suspect this is closer to his "concern about climate change" than what Spiked implied in their review.

jobotic

He thinks "common sense" = science.

And that's how we know the sun revolves around the Earth.

Quote from: Beloved of Jo on October 16, 2023, 01:17:55 PMNobody wants you dead, Graham. I'm sure plenty would love to see you get some proper help though, because you seem utterly miserable and broken. Not your career broken, not your family broken, but you as a person. As in the Graham of 20 years ago would be horrified at the person you've stubbornly reinforced and embittered yourself to become, regardless of circumstance.

Ah, but as he details in his published memoir serialised and interviewed in several newspapers as well in interviews on news programs and podcasts, he has been cancelled. The woke stasi have him living in a permanent state of blackmail just because he made one episode of his sitcom years ago! They do not forgive and they do not forget!

Because if there's one community completely opposed to maturing as a person, or growing or changing at all, it's... the transgender community, wait hang on...

Catalogue Trousers

Get well soon, Poirot.

...can we just turn this into a Poirot appreciation thread? Not like Greybum's doing anything of note any more, after all.

Blue Jam

Yeah, long Covid is baws, be well Poirot

Quote from: jobotic on October 16, 2023, 06:51:33 PMHe thinks "common sense" = science.

And that's how we know the sun revolves around the Earth.

"...and that, My Liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped"

Lots of the old Skeptic/Atheist crowd getting into TERFery now. People who aren't actually medics or life scientists but who used to write a blog debunking homoeopathy as if that still qualifies them to comment. Or as if being mates with/married to a physicist from CERN also counts.

greencalx

Thanks Poirot for making the effort when you're under par. Hope you see some improvement soon.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Thanks for all the well-wishes, folks. My temperature has been back to normal since the 7th, I've been sleeping through the night since Saturday, and it just feels like a bad sinus infection. I'm signed off work till Wednesday but honestly I think I'll get an extension. My walk yesterday really tired me out.