Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:32:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

this Peanuts cartoon

Started by madhair60, October 26, 2023, 11:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: chip on October 28, 2023, 04:01:55 PMHow the fuck do you all know what this is? This was for Americans in like the sixties or something.

Snoopy Vs The Red Baron ("80 men died trying to end that spree, of the bloody Red Baron of Germany") by The Royal Guardsmen was in the UK Top 10 in 1967 and then again in 1973 in a ska version by the Hot Shots. Schulz & UFS initially sued the Royal Guardsmen for using the name without permission (it was pre-existent song about the Red Baron and they added some new lyrics about Snoopy), but must have come to an agreement at some point as they made more records about Snoopy in subsequent years.

The paperbacks of the strip were in bookshops and newsagents everywhere in the UK.

There were also the Bill Melendez animated cartoons which would be shown frequently on television in the 60s, 70s and 80s...

kalowski

Whilst I love Vince Guaraldi's music, I find Peanuts mystifyingly boring.

NoSleep

I remember the cartoons on TV were one-off specials rather than whole seasons. The only thing I really liked about the TV specials was Vince Guaraldi's music, which was great.

EDIT: snap about the music.

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on October 28, 2023, 05:43:48 PMThere were also the Bill Melendez animated cartoons which would be shown frequently on television in the 60s, 70s and 80s...

I liked them, though they were sometimes a bit cute and sickly.

Dusky Rob Roy

Quote from: kalowski on October 28, 2023, 05:47:29 PMWhilst I love Vince Guaraldi's music, I find Peanuts mystifyingly boring.

I love the comics but couldn't stand the animated movies.

NoSleep

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on October 28, 2023, 05:49:43 PMI liked them, though they were sometimes a bit cute and sickly.

Yeah they totally lacked the strength of the strips.

NoSleep

I think I would like a a TV version of Peanuts that was made by the people who did Home Movies; with H. Jon Benjamin as Linus and Kristen Schaal as Lucy. Maybe Chris Parnell as Charlie Brown.

kalowski

Quote from: Dusky Rob Roy on October 28, 2023, 05:51:09 PMI love the comics but couldn't stand the animated movies.
I mean the comic strips too. Just dull.

madhair60

kalowski

Quote from: bgmnts on October 27, 2023, 11:18:24 AMHad a few 80s Dandy annuals as a kid and thought Brassneck was the tits.

The exclamation 'wango-bango, bingo-bongo-nuts' (I paraphrase slightly in the absence of text) has always stuck in my mind after a scene where Brassneck's brain mechanism gets deranged by a blow.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: kalowski on October 28, 2023, 07:14:03 PMAnd I definitely prefer Loaded.

Newsagent Provocateur doesn't get mentioned enough round here. What was that other one? The fella who said "yak"?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on October 28, 2023, 05:07:17 PMThe Daily Mail used to print the cartoons daily - in the 70s and 80s at least. And there were loads of paperback books with compilations of them available then as well.

My parents weren't Tories, so I never knew that the daily ones were in the Mail. The longer Sunday strips were printed weekly at the back of the Observer colour supplement throughout the 70s and 80s.

Magnum Valentino

Belatedly bought the first volume of the Fantagraphics reprints and loving it so far.

ANOTHER CaB thread that's going to cost me a fortune. 27 volumes in this fucker!

13 schoolyards

I started buying those Fantagraphics collections when the series first began - I read the first one with my then girlfriend and we really bonded over it.

Then she dumped me on my birthday after I flew from Melbourne to Sydney to spend it with her, which kind of cast a pall over picking up new volumes twice a year for the next thirteen years

Magnum Valentino

Awk that's a shame even if your last sentence is really really funny