Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:43:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

this Peanuts cartoon

Started by madhair60, October 26, 2023, 11:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: mr. logic on October 27, 2023, 11:10:06 AMHaha, I was thinking that too but didn't want to say.

fuck off

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 27, 2023, 11:14:20 AMWell fair enough if that's your take but what comic strips are you a fan of if you don't mind me asking.

don't talk to them like they're people.

Proactive

Quote from: madhair60 on October 27, 2023, 11:19:02 AMfuck off

don't talk to them like they're people.

I think I've always been put off since reading that academic study which found that 98.4% of paedophiles thought Peanuts was the best cartoon. Maybe that's unfair of me but I can't help it

madhair60

Proactive

Oh sorry did I say paedophiles I meant dog rapists.

Clive Dogshit

Quote from: Proactive on October 27, 2023, 11:35:22 AMOh sorry did I say paedophiles I meant dog rapists.

You aren't very funny and your critical faculties are toddler level.

Sorry that was harsh to a stranger. I take it back.

badaids

Striker.

Hagar the Horrible.

Garth.

All strips that Peanuts could have been.

Proactive

Quote from: Clive Dogshit on October 27, 2023, 11:43:11 AMyour critical faculties are toddler level.

Oh ffs I'm being provocative in an over the top way you tit, responding in kind to madhair's incredibly thoughtful and nuanced "fuck off" response.

If you take the first example madhair gave in complete isolation, maybe put the words in the mouths of completely new characters, it's no better IMHFO, than any of the other shit-tier stuff alluded to in this thread,sorry. You're attached to these characters, I get it. You feel attacked in the same way I used to when people would see a few seconds of Seinfeld and assume it's no different to any other bullshit US sitcom import on channel 4. I expect I'd find some humour in Peanuts Calvin and Hobbes etc if I could be bothered with them or if I'd grown up with them, but I don't.

bgmnts

See I didn't grow up with them and this is my first real look at a Peanut strip and I enjoyed it as just a snap moment of silly nonsense.

But then I suppose I perhaps would like these shit-tier strips too! Who knows.

I do think Seinfeld is average us sitcom fare as well.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Proactive on October 27, 2023, 12:06:41 PMIf you take the first example madhair gave in complete isolation, maybe put the words in the mouths of completely new characters, it's no better IMHFO, than any of the other shit-tier stuff alluded to in this thread,sorry. You're attached to these characters, I get it. You feel attacked in the same way I used to when people would see a few seconds of Seinfeld and assume it's no different to any other bullshit US sitcom import on channel 4. I expect I'd find some humour in Peanuts Calvin and Hobbes etc if I could be bothered with them or if I'd grown up with them, but I don't.

OK so you just don't really like newspaper comic strips in general then?  Either way it's a bit of a patronising move to try and insist that anyone who likes Peanuts only feels that way out of some blind sense of nostalgia or emotional attachment that you're unencumbered by, as if you've got some special objective outlook that the rest of us don't.

BritishHobo

BritishHobo

BritishHobo

mr. logic

Those two are much funnier.

Does anybody remember Beau Peep? What's the general feeling?

Proactive

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 27, 2023, 12:18:51 PMOK so you just don't really like newspaper comic strips in general then?  Either way it's a bit of a patronising move to try and insist that anyone who likes Peanuts only feels that way out of some blind sense of nostalgia or emotional attachment that you're unencumbered by, as if you've got some special objective outlook that the rest of us don't.

No, I'm saying that the humour is predicated on what the reader has come to expect from the characters, hence my reference to Seinfeld and how somebody seeing it for the first time, just a minute of it in the middle of an episode, can't possibly appreciate the content on the same level as someone who knows everything there is to know about George's back story, for example.

That interaction in the initial example in this thread isn't funny shorn of the context of those characters, to me at least. And maybe this is an unfair expectation but I think short strips like this have more of a need to be funny in isolation, than a sitcom for example.

jobotic

When I was twelve we went on a school trip and some kid from a school in London (I know this because they told us) took the piss out of my Joe Cool t-shirt. He was wearing farahs.

What name does he post on here?

Kankurette

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 27, 2023, 10:48:58 AMSnoopy would fucking destroy Fred Basset. Absolutely destroy the cunt.
He's got Woodstock and his bird posse backing him up for starters. Battle of the Cartoon Scenthounds.

Also, you can't compare Peanuts to George & Lynne because Lucy isn't constantly flashing her UBBS.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I was going to argue that the first strip IS funny, fuck you, but then I realised I'm reading them in the voices from the Charlie Brown and Snoopy specials. Ergo I am not objective here

dontpaintyourteeth

Peanuts is good but I am happy to join in on any criticism of Calvin and Hobbes, which is not good.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 27, 2023, 10:48:58 AMSnoopy would fucking destroy Fred Basset. Absolutely destroy the cunt.

Heathcliff could batter Top/Boss Cat and Garfield, wouldn't even need to get the rest of the The Catillac Cats involved.

NoSleep

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 27, 2023, 03:49:15 PMI was going to argue that the first strip IS funny, fuck you, but then I realised I'm reading them in the voices from the Charlie Brown and Snoopy specials. Ergo I am not objective here

As a pre TV versions fan I can assure you that it is funny. The voices in my head are canon.

madhair60

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on October 27, 2023, 03:52:07 PMPeanuts is good but I am happy to join in on any criticism of Calvin and Hobbes, which is not good.

yeah, that i'm not especially keen on. beautifully drawn and when it's good it's excellent, but around halfway through the run the character voices all just seem to become Watterson whinging about stuff

badaids

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on October 27, 2023, 03:52:07 PMPeanuts is good but I am happy to join in on any criticism of Calvin and Hobbes, which is not good.

Calvin and Hobbes is the best cartoon of this type I think.  Maybe because it's the most relatable and likeable.

madhair60

calvin and hobbes is a boomer comic

jobotic

Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes are both brilliant.

My only criticism of C & H is the rare occasions when I thought "this is quite similar to a particular Peanuts strip".

Petey Pate

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 27, 2023, 03:49:15 PMI was going to argue that the first strip IS funny, fuck you, but then I realised I'm reading them in the voices from the Charlie Brown and Snoopy specials. Ergo I am not objective here

This was the voice I read some of the posts in the thread in.

Endicott

I used to read Peanuts every day and then Schulz died and I was sad.

These cartoons aren't just funny, they are extraordinary.

OK cheers.

Brundle-Fly

I was obsessed with the books as a little kid. Good grief, I haven't revisited them in decades and must remedy this.

Magnum Valentino

Shaxberd

Peanuts is much more boomer than Calvin and Hobbes, in that it was at its peak of popularity in the 60s and 70s when baby boomers were young. My mother and aunt are both massive fans.

Calvin and Hobbes is a Gen X comic in terms of time period, although maybe not sensibility - it feels more 'modern' than Peanuts and vastly less staid than most of its newspaper contemporaries, but it's a bit more traditional / less cynical than the Simpsons. It's somewhat in the transitional period between those two eras.

I like Calvin and Hobbes, at its best it's great and I think the parents in particular are finely observed, but agreed that Watterson sometimes has a tendency to editorialise.

badaids

Is The Perishers good?

Or is it just a rip off of Peanuts.

Why is it called Peanuts anyway?