Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Moon on a Stick: Stewart Lee Bootlegs

Started by Mobbd, October 31, 2023, 11:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

They've been there for two years but I hadn't noticed until now. S. Lee bootlegs on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq-od5Ap1s2s4vW_NgHo5hkWpmwiRVn8_

Stuff like Carpet Remnant World is obviously commercially available but more notable are things like Scrambled Egg and Vegetable Stew at the Fringe, Silver Stewbilee, Oxford WIPs and a one-hour recording at the Mildmay Club for SLCV3.

Sound quality varies. Scrambled Egg is pretty bad but SLCV3 is decent bootleg quality.

If the upper is reading this: thanks!

Small Man Big Horse

Blimey, I'm surprised he's left them up there for so long, I mean I guess he must be aware of them. Eh, either way, there's some other bootlegs from the 90's here: http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads.php

I've also got a mp3 of 18 minutes of Lee doing a gig called Fat Smiles, which I think I got from someone on here, and it starts with the "Franklyn Ajaye – I'm A Comedian, Seriously" material, so I'm guessing the rest will also be material that's available elsewhere.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 31, 2023, 04:24:17 PMBlimey, I'm surprised he's left them up there for so long, I mean I guess he must be aware of them. Eh, either way, there's some other bootlegs from the 90's here: http://www.fistoffun.net/downloads.php
Aw brilliant, I was just reminded the other day of Stew's Resonance FM shows, and wished I could listen to them again. There they are! (Including, gulp, one episode with Gl*nner AND David W*lliams on)

Red82

He's pretty funny this lad.  I also enjoy his obsession with Music Hall and the entertainers of the past.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: jsgibble on October 31, 2023, 05:00:53 PMrecently found a bootleg of this charity night he hosted from 2004

https://mab.to/t/eTfQfd2hVDr/eu1

https://www.uktw.co.uk/archive/London/BAC/Comedy/Battersea-Sausage-Night/L1948860007/

Blimey, I went to that - can't believe it was more or less 20 years ago! I won a signed Harry Hill shirt and a menu from Hell's Kitchen in the raffle.

Remember being v. impressed with Lee Mack, and also getting to chat briefly with Peter Baynham (about the BBC's poor scheduling of I Am Not An Animal) and Richard Thomas (quoting back to him a joke I'd seen him do a few years earlier supporting L&H - he had no memory of it) during the interval.

Kevin Eldon performed as Paul Hamilton (the poet's tree character, pre-Radio 4 series), and Paul Putner also did a set as a desperate American stand-up whose references became increasingly esoteric. Would love to see that again, though can't remember the name of the character sadly.

Stu came on between acts and performed sets which I already knew word for word from the FoF book and the Channel 5 stand up show.

Also remember being very impressed with Simon Amstell, who at the time I only knew from Popworld and wasn't expecting to be anywhere near as accomplished as he was.

I think it cost only cost about a tenner, and as I'd only been in London for about 6 months at the time it seemed like an absolutely magical night, and a million miles from the small town I'd recently left.

Not sure I could sit through it again, but I definitely had a lot of fun.

Bumped into SL at the Canal boat bookshop at King's Place and mentioned his Resonance FM show featuring the Iceman, he seemed buoyed by the memory.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on October 31, 2023, 06:15:00 PM...Paul Putner also did a set as a desperate American stand-up whose references became increasingly esoteric. Would love to see that again, though can't remember the name of the character sadly.

Frankie Tan, there's another performance on YouTube too.

Did not read properly.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on October 31, 2023, 06:15:00 PMKevin Eldon performed as Paul Hamilton (the poet's tree character, pre-Radio 4 series), and Paul Putner also did a set as a desperate American stand-up whose references became increasingly esoteric. Would love to see that again, though can't remember the name of the character sadly.

Earl Stevens.

Barry Admin

I'll probably go through the Resonance FM shows again myself, been thinking about them lately.  I'm listening to an old iPod at the minute where I can't change any of the files on it, so end up listening to guitar backing tracks, easy to play stuff like Nirvana, and Kitson's Resonance FM shows.  They're just great, as were Lee's.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 31, 2023, 07:07:41 PMFrankie Tan, there's another performance on YouTube too.

Did not read properly.

Not a problem, that was terrific - thanks!

Mobbd

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 31, 2023, 04:24:17 PMBlimey, I'm surprised he's left them up there for so long, I mean I guess he must be aware of them.

As a music fan he probably values bootlegs; getting to hear lost/cut material and rare differences in live versions etc. He'd yum those up as a Fall fan so he probably has sympathy with his fans when it comes to this.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Mobbd on November 01, 2023, 03:39:22 PMAs a music fan he probably values bootlegs; getting to hear lost/cut material and rare differences in live versions etc. He'd yum those up as a Fall fan so he probably has sympathy with his fans when it comes to this.

He's not actually that keen, if memory serves.  Could be wrong, but I do seem to recall him asking me to remove boots from here some years ago. 

Some live comedians feel very compromised by everything being recorded and distributed, as it breaks the bond of trust between the performer and the audience, and opens them up to their material being received in a different way. In other words, what works in the context of a long stand-up set may come across very differently when made into a short clip that's circulated with a clickbaity title on Twitter.

Some embryonic bits are also utterly fascinating to us, but embarrassing to the performer; doesn't matter how much of a music fan you are, you don't necessarily want an audience to hear things that you don't think worked, or which you later refined.

And of course, performers are trying to make a living, so wide circulation of boots can make it harder for them to do that.

Sebastian Cobb

Tbf he can't claim it's all about the moment given he's published transcripts of his shows that more or less highlight how planned the 'spontaneous' bits are.

Idle

Do any of you know about a set were he went on about hating emigrants and massive prawns? My dad saw it live ages ago and brings it up often, so I've been trying to find it.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Idle on November 01, 2023, 10:12:42 PMDo any of you know about a set were he went on about hating emigrants and massive prawns? My dad saw it live ages ago and brings it up often, so I've been trying to find it.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle Series 2 episode 5 "Identity"

An earlier version of his Game of Thrones routine is on YouTube (audio recording) and its about a million times better than the official filmed version.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 01, 2023, 03:50:11 PMHe's not actually that keen, if memory serves.  Could be wrong, but I do seem to recall him asking me to remove boots from here some years ago. 

Some live comedians feel very compromised by everything being recorded and distributed, as it breaks the bond of trust between the performer and the audience, and opens them up to their material being received in a different way. In other words, what works in the context of a long stand-up set may come across very differently when made into a short clip that's circulated with a clickbaity title on Twitter.

Some embryonic bits are also utterly fascinating to us, but embarrassing to the performer; doesn't matter how much of a music fan you are, you don't necessarily want an audience to hear things that you don't think worked, or which you later refined.

And of course, performers are trying to make a living, so wide circulation of boots can make it harder for them to do that.

I understand that but I think it's a bit too controlling, especially in a live context.

With regards to the music metaphor, Ian Curtis had the attitude that you should release everything you do as someone's going to like it. Some of my most treasured songs are demos because they capture something raw and emotional that got lost later.

Artists are usually not the best judge of what makes them special and I find the desire to curate their own image a bit off putting.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Idle on November 01, 2023, 10:12:42 PMDo any of you know about a set were he went on about hating emigrants and massive prawns? My dad saw it live ages ago and brings it up often, so I've been trying to find it.

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on November 01, 2023, 10:16:43 PMStewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle Series 2 episode 5 "Identity"

It was in a set quite a bit prior to that as he did it when I saw him at the Town Hall in Brum.

I don't think I'm your dad but I also say it quite a lot. It was a build up of why emigrate - with reference to Australia - culminating in the reason being "they've got massive prawns Stew".

Might stare at the wall for a bit and try to work out when it was. I think it was the show where he gets accused of having a counterfeit Cafe Nero loyalty card which drives most of it.

[Edit - but of course if you just want to watch it follow Cold Meat Platter's post]

Des Wigwam

A cursory google suggests it might be worth ignoring all of that post. First Comedy Vehicle was 2009?!

Mobbd

Not certain but that routine might originate with Munnery. His was more of a two-liner than a whole routine:

"They go over there... taking their jobs and their skills."

It follows a bit about his dad being a walking, taking version of the Daily Mail. "We could rent him out to the blind."

Mobbd

Not a bootleg but did anyone archive his recent Radio 4 documentary about the Birmingham Surrealists? It was very good and is now gone from the iPlayer.

This is what I'm on about:
https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/radio_appearances/the-balsall-heath-bohemians/

Doesn't seem to be on YouTube or Soundcloud. I want it!

jsgibble

Quote from: Mobbd on November 07, 2023, 03:23:10 PMNot a bootleg but did anyone archive his recent Radio 4 documentary about the Birmingham Surrealists? It was very good and is now gone from the iPlayer.

This is what I'm on about:
https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/radio_appearances/the-balsall-heath-bohemians/

Doesn't seem to be on YouTube or Soundcloud. I want it!

https://mab.to/t/OSNMsYxKdLl/eu1