Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:29:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US late-night chat show / comedy thread

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 02, 2023, 04:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Looks like Taylor Tomlinson is the latest host, taking over the slot left by James Corden. Yay!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67296327

Although this is going to be an "@Midnight" clone - no Chris Hardwick! Yay! - and not a chat show, so I might actually watch it.

Do any of you watch any of the current crop? Or are you going through your Ernie Kovacs DVDs wondering when it'll get back to that sort of thing?

thr0b

I watch Colbert every night - quite political, but always funny.

Gave Seth a go on and off, but not quite my thing, so looking forward to After Midnight for my 90 minutes of CBS fun every night.

Mobius

i often watch the standup monologue bits from these as it pops up on youtube. colbert's stuff is usually funny i agree. seth meyers is likeable, developed a soft spot for him during covid. his terrible impressions make me laugh.

dead-ced-dead

I was watching some old clips of Craig Ferguson this morning, and I miss the sense of silliness he brought to the hoary old routine. The puppets, the animatronics, and performative though it was, I always liked the way he tore up his question cards and threw them on the ground.

The guests are noticeably put at ease by this, and he manages to keep his innuendos and flirting just on the right side of the cute/creepy line. Unlike, say, Jonathan Ross, which, if you remember when he had guests like Uma Thurman or Nicole Kidman on, pushed things a bit too far. Kidman especially was quite obviously hating Ross' attempts (though she remained professional).

I really got into Craig Ferguson towards the end of his run. His shows are still totally watchable today. It wasn't driven by headlines, politics or really even pop culture so still holds up.

His shows in France and Scotland are great fun.

I like that he knew when to get out as well instead of trudging on for years.

I have a Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson t-shirt that I still wear. Though these days I worry that I'll be associated with JC.

James Corden not Jesus Christ.

Joe Oakes

Quote from: thr0b on November 02, 2023, 10:31:27 PMI watch Colbert every night - quite political, but always funny.

Loved Colbert before he got the big gig, but seems rather toothless playing himself. And those fucking Trump impressions.

Must admit that I'm speaking from a position of ignorance as I've only seen bits and pieces since he left the Colbert Report. But what I have seen has been painful.

thr0b

A little toothless in some ways, but he's playing to a CBS audience, and still the most popular network late night show. Which is quite a feat.

I do miss Craigyferg though. He was the best of them all.

(Josh Robert Thompson can occasionally be found live streaming stuff on YouTube with Geoff Peterson's severed head.)

lestergunn

How do you watch this in UK? Is it via the internet on streaming service?

thr0b

Quote from: lestergunn on November 03, 2023, 08:08:08 PMHow do you watch this in UK? Is it via the internet on streaming service?

I legitimately download it.

Ahem.

(VPN and just go to CBS.com in most cases. There are other ways, such as ShowRSS.)

Campbell Soupe

Usually catch-up the triumvirate of Meyers, Colbert and Kimmel next day via YouTube: mainly for the monologues and takes on the shitshow that is US politics.  Meyer's Closer Looks are very well done, and he comes across as a likable guy.

One I've never got on with was Fallon... dude seems creepy as fuck, and nowhere near as funny as he clearly thinks he is.

I stopped watching The Daily Show and outgrew it politically about 20 years ago - the nostalgic peak for me was its run during W Bush's first term - but I had a nice time tuning in for Jon Stewart's return to the show. Pleased to say he spent most of the time making fun of Biden and even had a crack at Israel (fairly tame but still nice)

Actually quite a funny episode and I interpreted his bit at the end as a subtle mea culpa for the "Rally to Restore Sanity" nonsense.

thr0b

Sunday's post-Super Bowl Colbert was fun, with an extended sketch of John being evicted from his home under Stephen's desk.

And Monday, in which Colbert interviewed John Oliver who was accompanied by Steamboat Willie.

Also enjoying After Midnight, the replacement for the Late Late Show. Can be very hit or miss depending on the players, but it's easy background telly.

Campbell Soupe

John Oliver seems to have blossomed since he moved stateside.  Previously I found him pretty irritating on things like Mock the Week, here, where his schtick seemed pretty weak-sauce.  Whether it's the expensive writers or just the change of scenery, but he's turned into a funny and seemingly sound kind of bloke.

Menu

Quote from: Campbell Soupe on February 15, 2024, 06:57:07 PMJohn Oliver seems to have blossomed since he moved stateside.  Previously I found him pretty irritating on things like Mock the Week, here, where his schtick seemed pretty weak-sauce.  Whether it's the expensive writers or just the change of scenery, but he's turned into a funny and seemingly sound kind of bloke.

I've gone full circle on him and am finding him annoying again. Stopped watching his show as the news bit was too depressing and the funny bit wasn't funny. And there's nothing worse than finding something unfunny while 300 Americans are cheering and laughing like they're at the fucking circus. Calm down.

Menu

Quote from: C_Larence on February 15, 2024, 07:40:54 PM

That's a very accurate parody. I started getting annoyed again just reading that.

MrMealDeal

Just watched the first episode of Taylor Tomlinson's new show and it's ... a quiz? It's not awful but it seems to be a total waste of her talent... Has it got any better in the last few weeks?

BeardFaceMan

It's basically the same format as At Midnight so if you don't like that first ep the rest probably aren't for you, it doesn't change much, it's a pretty established panel show format. For me, it's as good as it's guests, although I feel like an hour is too long, it could really do with being a half-hour show.

thr0b

The first episode wasn't great, but it's bedding in nicely now. The Super Bowl special was tremendous fun.