Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Improv improv improv

Started by MrMealDeal, November 09, 2023, 07:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMealDeal

I'm doing a comedy improv course and enjoying it. I'm also aware that the general consensus is that most of it is the absolute dregs of comedy.
I do have some sympathy for that view. Look at this UCB show, which garners about 3 laughs in 45 minutes

But it can also be really good, as the Middleditch and Schwartz specials on Netflix prove.

So... what are your views on improv and what are your recommendations for seeing it live - in London or even in other places that aren't London?

copa

Podcasts seem a good place for improv, particularly Comedy Bang Bang.

This is one of my favourite things:

Glebe

Twilkes

Improv is difficult, probably why a lot of it isn't so good, it's difficult to get better at it in a structured way.

They're a go-to reference but Austentatious has been fantastic each time I've seen it - it maybe helps that the pace is slightly gentler than other idioms, but they are great storytellers, listeners, responders, team players and wordsmiths, a lot of the comedy comes organically from that. Oh and they are funny people, which helps.

Should read Keith Johnstone's improv book, it's not just for comedy but could change your approach to many things in your life, not just improv. The chapter on mask work is really interesting, even if you never practice it.

DrGreggles

I quite enjoyed Mischief Theatre's movie nights.
Pretty sure all their lockdown ones are online somewhere.

All Surrogate

Quote from: copa on November 09, 2023, 07:29:03 PMPodcasts seem a good place for improv, particularly Comedy Bang Bang.

This is one of my favourite things:

Tim does seem to be particularly good in that context:

flotemysost

Quote from: MrMealDeal on November 09, 2023, 07:17:31 PMI'm doing a comedy improv course and enjoying it. I'm also aware that the general consensus is that most of it is the absolute dregs of comedy.

Nice one, I hope you enjoy it!

Without veering too far into the murky arena of potential self-promotion/self-doxxing (I mean, obviously there's hordes and hordes of wannabe improvisers in London, but y'know) I've been kinda microdosing performing improv for a couple of years, although I haven't actually been in any shows for a hot minute. Also used to go to jams a fair bit (basically open mic type nights where you can drop into scenes with randoms, though most of them have a few established guest acts too), although again it's been a while.

Anyway, I can absolutely see why people get sniffy/dismissive about it; I expect most people imagine it to be a load of self-indulgent middle class drama school knobs prancing about making in-jokey quips with their mates or trying to outdo each other with LOLrandom kookiness, and I've definitely seen a few shows that are that. However good (or even great) improv abounds, and shows are often pretty affordable.

In London, if you don't already know it then I would strongly recommend checking out The Miller in London Bridge; they have shows in the upstairs venue every night of the week, and the vast majority of it is improv. The Bell in Liverpool Street is also shortly to become an improv venue, apparently. Also, again, if you don't already know them (though I suspect you may well do if you're doing a course!) then I'd give Hoopla (who put on the shows at both venues) a follow on their socials, that's a good way of finding out about upcoming shows but also generally performers/groups to check out.

Musuem of Comedy put on improv shows a fair bit too from what I've seen; but to be honest I'd say the best way of finding out about stuff is following people on social media, checking out clips and going along to nights (aside from the aforementioned venues, most of the stuff I've seen has been at other kinda nondescript room-above-a-pub places). I've also been to a few nights that I found off browsing the Dice app.

In terms of bigger "household" kinda names (or at least "CaB household"), I'm not actually sure who's known for improv aside from those mentioned in this thread already, though obviously loads of established comics do have a background in it. I'm also really tired and will probably contribute to this thread again at some point when I think of other stuff, anyway I hope the course goes well :)

Small Man Big Horse

I saw a couple of shows at The Miller with my Danish ex and thought the quality was fairy high, and at the Museum Of Comedy I've seen (variously) Doctor Who, Game Of Thrones and Baron Munchhausen inspired improv, all of which was fine if uneventful.

Absolutely love https://steenraskopoulos.com/ (aka Mr Sara Pascoe) and when I saw him as part of NZ improv group Snort he was amazing (as were Rose Matafeo, Tom Walker, Laura Daniel and Alice Sneddon), and his double act with Carlo Ritchie was even better, an absolutely sublime hour of comedy (https://twitter.com/thebearpack) but he doesn't seem to be doing any live gigs right now unfortunately.

Twonty Gostelow

I'm not paying £30 to watch someone renewing their passport in the style of Shakespeare and that's final.

kalowski

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: kalowski on November 10, 2023, 06:23:06 AM

I've no idea who that bloke is but anything that's happened after an audience member shouting out "Restoration comedy" is funnier than any of his videos that I've seen.

MrMealDeal

Quote from: kalowski on November 10, 2023, 06:23:06 AM

I think of this sketch all the time. Alistair Green has done a valuable service to the improv community.

Thanks for all the suggestions - I've ordered Keith Johnstone's book. The courses I did were from Hoopla, and I'll definitely check out The Miller.

Quote from: copa on November 09, 2023, 07:29:03 PMThis is one of my favourite things:

I absolutely loved this, and it's the sort of improv I'd like to do more of. I'm pretty good at talking bullshit in character; it's the plot side of things that I really struggle with. I think I need to go to more jams because I've reached a point where I'm able to identify my own flaws and just need more experience dealing with certain situations on stage. 

Petey Pate

Quote from: Twilkes on November 09, 2023, 07:50:02 PMShould read Keith Johnstone's improv book, it's not just for comedy but could change your approach to many things in your life, not just improv. The chapter on mask work is really interesting, even if you never practice it.

I was about to recommend the same book. Some of the psychology in it is pretty dated but it's a fascinating read regardless.

dissolute ocelot

The main problem with improv is that audiences are idiots.

gilbertharding

I happened to hear a bit of The Lawrence Sweeney Mix on Radio 4 Extra last night.

It was (in case you have forgotten) an improvised sketch show featuring Josie Lawrence and Jim Sweeney from 2008, and all the sketches were inspired by audience suggestions and honestly mere words are not adequate to describe how completely, shit-curdlingly AWFUL it was. At one point they were doing everything in a squeaky Northern accent.

I don't know if it's completely fair to place all of the blame on the audience, @dissolute ocelot