Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Has Jim Davidson created the worst sketch show ever?

Started by Lewman, November 16, 2023, 10:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: jobotic on November 24, 2023, 06:31:07 PMI'd imagine it was heartwarming. Was it?

Yeah, it was mint mate.

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on November 24, 2023, 07:01:57 PMThis son?
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/I%27m+not+sure+if+I%27ve+forgiven+him+yet..I%27ve+only+just+started+getting...-a088451560

That's him. I've tried to find it on YouTube but Google can only really find somebody also asking about it on a generic answers site where someone named their son Cameron due to that performance.

Brundle-Fly

A good by-product of Jimbo being in the Celebrity Big Brother house was his run in with Linda Nolan over the historic incident referred to as 'Frank Carson's dressing room." This clearly inspired quite possibly the best episode of Inside No.9, 'Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room." I can almost hear Pemberton and Shearsmith's gleeful cackling as they watched it play out.

Catalogue Trousers

Threads to which the answer to the title question can only be 'yes'

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on November 26, 2023, 07:48:08 PMThreads to which the answer to the title question can only be 'yes'

Maybe but you have to hand it to Bob Mortimer for giving it a bloody good go... and then another one... and another go.

Terry Torpid

Wait a minute, have we really gone four pages without anyone posting this obligatory classic?

Applemask

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 26, 2023, 08:02:24 PMMaybe but you have to hand it to Bob Mortimer for giving it a bloody good go... and then another one... and another go.
Oh, thank God, it's 2006

George White

Quote from: Terry Torpid on November 26, 2023, 08:10:29 PMWait a minute, have we really gone four pages without anyone posting this obligatory classic?

Has anyone else seen the full film of Colour Me Kubrick?
It's on tubi free, for anyone with a VPN.

It's very much in the same realm as something like Run For Your Wife or Bullseye, with a similar all-star cast and a similar ' I can't believe they made a film like this in ____'.
Davidson is playing Lee Pratt, a washed-up Northern entertainer with strawberry-blond frosted hair (IRL, Joe Longthorne. Davidson apparently is taking the piss out of Joe Longthorne, but denied this saying that 'Joe Longthorne is one of the great entertainers. Lee Pratt isn't.'). Terence Rigby (looking ill) plays his lover.  I know Davidson is a massive arse, but this performance is incredibly entertaining if not quite the reasons intended. And Malkovich doing a shit American accent as British conman Alan Conway-as-Kubrick is something. It's also got everybody in it - Richard E Grant, Leslie Phillips, Honor Blackman, Peter Bowles (without the tache), Robert Powell, Ken Russell with a Gollywog, Peter Sallis, Phil Cornwell, Marc Warren, Bill Hootkins, Lynda Baron (mentioning the Carry Ons), Nitin Ganatra and James Dreyfuss before he became Glinner's mate.  It feels like the sort of British film they stopped making in the 80s. Yes, I enjoyed this film. Yes, I'd call it a discovery. It feels kind of like what Carry On London would have been.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Terry Torpid on November 17, 2023, 01:23:21 PMWhy has he censored the word fuck? I thought it's meant to be non-woke comedy, not suitable for snowflakes. He's been cowed by the elf n safety brigade!

What do you think a snowflake is? You might be might not be up with these modern terms, but this video from Jim makes it clear that a snowflake is a person who doesn't know what a poached egg is

Terry Torpid

That video is a good example of what I was on about earlier, his delivery being poor, not just his attitudes. He hesitates, he stumbles over his words, he's rubbish.

It's like he's telling the story for the first time.

The Bumlord

Enjoyed the slobbery mouth noises too, always a pleasure.

Fambo Number Mive

Was "Horses" meant to be misspelled on the banner graphic?

Mr Banlon

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 30, 2023, 05:48:14 PMWhat do you think a snowflake is? You might be might not be up with these modern terms, but this video from Jim makes it clear that a snowflake is a person who doesn't know what a poached egg is

Isn't that just a re-worked version of his 'Packet of chips' routine? The one where he asks for a packet of chips in a McDonalds in a foreign country and the person behind the counter doesn't understand him.
Either that, or he's just a cunt to everyone in the service industry.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mr Banlon on November 30, 2023, 08:21:46 PMIsn't that just a re-worked version of his 'Packet of chips' routine? The one where he asks for a packet of chips in a McDonalds in a foreign country and the person behind the counter doesn't understand him.
Either that, or he's just a cunt to everyone in the service industry.

I'm not sure. I'm not a Davidson connoisseur.

Glebe

I'll tell you one good thing Edmonds did, he kept Bushell chained up at Crinkley Bottom and gunged him on occasion.

touchingcloth

The loose and expansive definition of "snowflake" is amazing. My partner's mum uses it like that, and I thought that was just her being an old woman who lives in the woods and doesn't see much of anyone except to rant about Muslamics on Facebook, but it seems she's on the same wavelength as Jim at least.

Quote from: Terry Torpid on November 30, 2023, 07:38:46 PMThat video is a good example of what I was on about earlier, his delivery being poor, not just his attitudes. He hesitates, he stumbles over his words, he's rubbish.

It's like he's telling the story for the first time.

I'd quite enjoy seeing Stewart Lee deliver the same routine, verbatim.

iamcoop

How is having pictures of the food on the wall "A bit of snowflakery"?

I suppose the Argos Catalogue is for snowflakes? All books probably. And pictures.

Eyes are for snowflakes. Senses? Wokery.

In my day you'd have your eyes gouged out at birth.

phantom_power

I am fairly sure all of that never happened. I am not sure what is worse. Having that happen and thinking it is interesting enough to make a comedy routine out of, or making up an incident for a comedy routine and coming up with something as shit as that

The Bumlord

Quote from: iamcoop on December 05, 2023, 09:02:34 AMHow is having pictures of the food on the wall "A bit of snowflakery"?

I think he's calling the 'little bird' behind the counter snowflakey because she was confused by poached eggs.

However because he's so shit he barely knows what he's saying and drags everything out appallingly.

Menu

Quote from: The Bumlord on December 05, 2023, 10:39:28 AMI think he's calling the 'little bird' behind the counter snowflakey because she was confused by poached eggs.

However because he's so shit he barely knows what he's saying and drags everything out appallingly.

And the audience aren't even into it. They're as confused as we are. Davidson has to explain the joke multiple times. Proper deso.

Ferris

@Barry Admin how do pages on the front of CaB work? It's struck me a few times opening the landing page that you're met with Davidson's mug and the banner text "send them to Rwanda anyway". If you weren't familiar with the site, you might think that was representative of what CaB was about which obviously it isn't.

Not a huge deal, just thought I'd mention it as it might put some people off posting/engaging further with the forum before they've even started. Also, I've always been curious how the "lead" threads are determined.

Thanks!

Barry Admin

I added it as it was an interesting read. That's how they get added generally.

The title is openly dismissive of Davidson.

Ferris

Mr Banlon

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 30, 2023, 08:29:49 PMI'm not sure. I'm not a Davidson connoisseur.

He did a routine about going to a McDonalds drive-thru in somewhere like Kuwait or Dubai.(Probably 'entertaining' some shepherd-murderers)
He asked the server for a 'packet of chips' and he got angry that the stupid w*g didn't understand such a simple request.
Neglecting to realise:
He was in a foreign country
English was probably not the first language of the server
He has a fucking horrible glottalized South London accent
Nobody outside the UK, Auz/NZ or Ireland refers to what he wanted as 'chips'
He was pissed
He is a cunt
It didn't happen

thenoise

I remember that. It was a forces special i think (the poor sods had to sit through him to see Katherine Jenkins), with extra laughter dubbed on top (allegedly).

Who says "packet of chips" anyway?

touchingcloth

"Two punnets of lager and a parcel of chips, please, ****, and don't wrap it in one of those tea towels you wear on your head neither."

Speaking of which, I'm hoping for one of those Jim Davidson's Law tea towels this Christmas, the ones that just say "Jim Davidson's a cunt".